Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Cycling of R6 Tires

Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM
FNCG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Heat Cycling of R6 Tires

Can anyone tell me if it is worth the extra $20.00 per tire to have R6s heat cycled? If so, why? Does the heat cycling increase the life of the tires, and if so, by how much?

Thanks....
Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've read and the recommendations of the tire manufacturer, yes, heat cycling does increase the tire life. From what is listed, the recommendation is to heat the tires to operating temp for one cycle then let them cool for 24-48 hours or something like that. Then they are good to go.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going all the way out to the track to run one session and then go home. So I have them heat cycle mine.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Just had a set heat cycled by the tire company two track weekends ago. So far wear looks good and tires were good from lap one.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Had it done to my recent set of R888s and the wear is fantastic! Then the question becomes how many heat cycles I can get out of the tires while still maintaining good grip.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time the rubber gets hot, it starts the molecular cross-linking. It takes a week. 24 hours does almost nothing. You can pay to have this done, or it gets done the first time you run it on a track. The rubber is a little softer and weaker until the cross-linking is complete so you will get more wear. If you are going to use the tire up in one day, like an endurance race, then you need to heat cycle in advance to get max life and grip. If you are going to run 1 hour during a track day, I wouldn't bother. Considering the R6 gets hard before it runs out of rubber, I wouldn't heat cycle an R6. The A6 is good right out of the box. People run sticker A6's at the solo nationals and the first 60 seconds are the best. For the A6, Hoosier recommends driving around the parking lot slowly to get the mold release off first, then race.

Get notified of new replies

To Heat Cycling of R6 Tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heat Cycling of R6 Tires