Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help from electrical gurus please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Need help from electrical gurus please.

My accusump has quit working again. I have the coil off to test it as it was the culprit last time. I have 12v to the pressure switch both sides but zero at positive of coil. How would I test coil with multimeter - from positive to negative? What do I set mm on and what should it read to OK or not OK?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Place the MM on ohms and just measure the resistance across the coil. If you don't get a reading then the coil is bad and likely a broken connection some where in the coil which is why the valve is not opening.

If you get an Ohm reading (other than 0), then apply 12v to one lead, then manually ground the other and listen for a click. If it click, the coil is activating and the valve should open. If it does, you coil/valve is probably ok.

If by some chance you get a reading of 0 Ohms, then you have a short in the coil and if that coil was on a fused power line (which it should be) that fuse is probably blown.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default here is what worked for me

Originally Posted by waddisme
My accusump has quit working again. I have the coil off to test it as it was the culprit last time. I have 12v to the pressure switch both sides but zero at positive of coil. How would I test coil with multimeter - from positive to negative? What do I set mm on and what should it read to OK or not OK?

Thanks in advance.
Hoping you have a simple electrical issue that you can quickly be taken care of. My Canton accusump gave me problems for two years. I changed just about everything and still had intermittent dumping. Fortunately for me I put my sump behind my seats under my roll bar in the back. Before I started my engine I would flip my toggle and watch if the pressure gauge dropped. At times it would take a couple of seconds before the gauge started dropping and many times it would not dump at all. On the track this would not work. Finally, I think I figured it out. The o-ringed piston inside the canister would bind on the I. D. of the accusump. I found that when the sun hit my 3 quart container, one side of the cylinder heated much quicker than the side without sun. The piston inside sticks on one side and does not slide smoothly. Possibly the tolerances of the I.D. were off and the piston would bind. My easy fix was to cover the sump so the sun would not directly shine on it. I have insulated it with a thick blanket and for the past year this has worked.

Now for people who generally locate their accusump in the fender well or in front of the radiator isn’t it possible that the canister may be close to a heat source that may heat and expand one side of their canister unevenly?

Just my thoughts on what I found on my car.
Photo can be seen by going to:
http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/...with%20hithch/
Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by crease-guard
Place the MM on ohms and just measure the resistance across the coil. If you don't get a reading then the coil is bad and likely a broken connection some where in the coil which is why the valve is not opening.

If you get an Ohm reading (other than 0), then apply 12v to one lead, then manually ground the other and listen for a click. If it click, the coil is activating and the valve should open. If it does, you coil/valve is probably ok.

If by some chance you get a reading of 0 Ohms, then you have a short in the coil and if that coil was on a fused power line (which it should be) that fuse is probably blown.
Thanks. I set the mm on 20ohms and applied leads and it displayed 21. I replaced 12v wire going from pressure switch to coil and it made no difference, but I did not check the ground wire. Will apply 12v to it tonite and see if it clicks.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, I run 12v straight to coil, and then grounded to frame and nothing happened. Seems like the circuit was made as the ground was arcing as I was touching the frame. I am going with bad coil. Unfortunately, Canton does not use this coil anymore, they use another that is similar, but not exactly the same housing size, but I think it will work. Unfortunately, they are on back order. So I guess I will be doing my VIR track day Monday without the accusump.

Thanks for the help though.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help from electrical gurus please.

Quick Reply: Need help from electrical gurus please.