Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment off after Sway bars and wheel install

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 03:37 AM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alignment off after Sway bars and wheel install

This past weekend i was able to install my Hotchkis Sway Bars i purchased from another forum member and my z06 wheels on my 1999 C5.

Did the Rear first then the Front. Made sure to have both wheels off the ground when installing them. Then was able to change my wheels while I was at it.

Drove it to the gym and realized my steering wheel was down to the left (if I straightened it out, the car would turn right.)

Should I take the front bar off and see what happens? Not really sure what will work.

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

You may want to redo the process. Put the tires on a ramp so you can reach the bars with the car resting on the ramps. Attach one side and then make sure the other side buttons up with no load on it. IOW, the bolt goes through the hole easily. That is the correct way because you don't want one A-arm exerting pressure on the other side while the car is resting on the suspension.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:57 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Using adjustable end links or stock ones? Make sure the bar is not binding in the bushings. Should be able to rotate in the bushings with the end links disconnected.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I agree with the above about checking preload on the endlinks. Also, sometimes you need to add a washer under the bracket to relieve pressure / binding on the bushing.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment off after Sway bars and wheel install

Quick Reply: Alignment off after Sway bars and wheel install