Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Cage and Handling

Old 10-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roll Cage and Handling

Hi,
I a 2002 c5 Z06 that is now a dedicated track only car.
I use it solely for track days and not racing.
I will be it back from the shop tomorrow. They have installed a custom built 6 point Roll cage. Presently my suspension is Pfadt stage one. Tires Nitto Nt -01 (315/30/18 Rear 275/40/17 Front).The rear sway bar is adjustable and presently on the middle setting. My question is how will the cage affect handling if at all? I presume the car will be stiffer. Will this mean more of a tendency for over steer?
I am sure there are many experts out there who know exactly the answer to my query?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-14-2013, 06:00 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring27
Hi,
I a 2002 c5 Z06 that is now a dedicated track only car.
I use it solely for track days and not racing.
I will be it back from the shop tomorrow. They have installed a custom built 6 point Roll cage. Presently my suspension is Pfadt stage one. Tires Nitto Nt -01 (315/30/18 Rear 275/40/17 Front).The rear sway bar is adjustable and presently on the middle setting. My question is how will the cage affect handling if at all? I presume the car will be stiffer. Will this mean more of a tendency for over steer?
I am sure there are many experts out there who know exactly the answer to my query?
Thanks in advance
On street tires, not at all. On your NT-01's you won't be able to tell, and even on slicks, YOU probably wouldn't be able to tell, but a pro driver would notice ON SLICKS that the cage made the car handle more predictably. That is, suspension pieces wouldn't move around in an unpredictable manner, so the CAR would tend to do the same thing each time he made a specific input. This would also make suspension setup easier. A properly designed and installed cage makes the PACKAGE more stable under inputs, that's all.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
On street tires, not at all. On your NT-01's you won't be able to tell, and even on slicks, YOU probably wouldn't be able to tell, but a pro driver would notice ON SLICKS that the cage made the car handle more predictably. That is, suspension pieces wouldn't move around in an unpredictable manner, so the CAR would tend to do the same thing each time he made a specific input. This would also make suspension setup easier. A properly designed and installed cage makes the PACKAGE more stable under inputs, that's all.
Many thanks - Much appreciated !
Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If you are still on rubber bushings no change, Delrin on slicks may notice.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I went from a half cage autopower to a custom race legal cage. I have monoball suspension bushings. I run nitto 01s and slicks. I can't tell a difference and I don't think I suck.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

On a C5 Corvette with only a 6 point cage? You won't be able to tell.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
nope. other than it'll be slower on the clock
Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
nope. other than it'll be slower on the clock
Depends on how close to the edge it was driven before adding 135lbs above CoG.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on how close to the edge it was driven before adding 135lbs above CoG.
It literally took me a year of further trimming and ballasting to get my car to run faster than pre-cage lap times. SOP, I could tell it lost a bit of sparkle in the transient stuff. But for a DE car, it probably won't be noticeable to just drive. Don't expect adding weight, and raising the CG to make the car go faster though, even with some chassis stiffening benefit (a small, probably almost worthess benefit on a C5/C6 IMHO).
Old 10-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
I went from a half cage autopower to a custom race legal cage. I have monoball suspension bushings. I run nitto 01s and slicks. I can't tell a difference and I don't think I suck.
Many thanks !
Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by drivinhard
It literally took me a year of further trimming and ballasting to get my car to run faster than pre-cage lap times. SOP, I could tell it lost a bit of sparkle in the transient stuff. But for a DE car, it probably won't be noticeable to just drive. Don't expect adding weight, and raising the CG to make the car go faster though, even with some chassis stiffening benefit (a small, probably almost worthess benefit on a C5/C6 IMHO).
Many thanks - I had the car fitted with headers, x pipe, air intake and tuned before the cage just to make up for the weight of the chromoly steel..........didn't want it to slow me down ! Now makes 402 rwhp.
Thanks !
Old 10-15-2013, 07:20 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

It would take a rather extensive cage, and other items that go along with it to offset the weight of the cage for most to notice it.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

It would take a rather extensive cage, and other items that go along with it to offset the weight of the cage for most to notice it.
Good to know that my small performance upgrade will probably more than make up for the extra weight!
Many thanks!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 PM
braknl8
Racer

Originally Posted by Sebring27
Good to know that my small performance upgrade will probably more than make up for the extra weight!
Many thanks!
Just remember that those listed upgrades are only going to make up for the additional weight on the straights. The weight will be most detrimental under braking and transitions. Just keep peeling things off....no worries. ;-)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by braknl8
Just remember that those listed upgrades are only going to make up for the additional weight on the straights. The weight will be most detrimental under braking and transitions. Just keep peeling things off....no worries. ;-)
Many thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Roll Cage and Handling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roll Cage and Handling