Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in Data Acquisition

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Interested in Data Acquisition

So I finally may be ready to ready to update my simple GoPro video with data overlay.

I would like to know which systems will work with GoPro and MacOS

DH
Old 10-20-2013, 11:04 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
So I finally may be ready to ready to update my simple GoPro video with data overlay.

I would like to know which systems will work with GoPro and MacOS

DH
DH,

The AIM Solo DL works really well in the car. It is plug N play with your OBDII.

The AIM software needs to run on Windows, so you will need a bridge like Parallel which will allow you to run Windows. It runs pretty well with no real issues.

The AIM solo is really great and easy to use.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by skxf430
DH,

The AIM Solo DL works really well in the car. It is plug N play with your OBDII.

The AIM software needs to run on Windows, so you will need a bridge like Parallel which will allow you to run Windows. It runs pretty well with no real issues.

The AIM solo is really great and easy to use.
I'm just starting to read all the threads on this topic. A little confusing

I'm hoping for something simple that does not require a bunch of time rendering software to data.

That appears to mean you need Harry's Laptimer or Trackmate? Problem is I don't have a smart phone I wonder if you can buy an old iphone for this without actually signing up with a carrier for phone service ???

DH
Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I think DH means he is trying to get data embeded on his video. if so you need something like smartycam HD as a stand alone or use go pro, mac, and something like harry's laptimer, or aim solo or soloDL then a program that can talk to it all and integrate. Check with one of the CC guys charlie Hoyt. He does it or knows a good program to use. He walked me through it once but I never did it.

If you want 1 step bonding agent check out smarty cam HD
Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I think DH means he is trying to get data embeded on his video. if so you need something like smartycam HD as a stand alone or use go pro, mac, and something like harry's laptimer, or aim solo or soloDL then a program that can talk to it all and integrate. Check with one of the CC guys charlie Hoyt. He does it or knows a good program to use. He walked me through it once but I never did it.

If you want 1 step bonding agent check out smarty cam HD
Okay, thanks Carl.

I will look at smarty cam

I will check with Charlie, he was at WSIR with me last week

DH
Old 10-20-2013, 11:44 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the AIM Solo DL is made by the same people that make the Smarty Cam. If you want to use your GO Pro than you will need to use something like a AIM solo DL which needs to use program like Dashware or Race Render to do the overlay. But, if you step up to a Smarty Cam, to my knowledge the Smarty Cam will do the overlay automatically. The new Smarty Cam HD is brand new and not too many people have used it yet, and it is priced at over $1,000. It does look like a pretty slick unit but I have yet to see the quality of the video or sound quality to make a decision on it.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I want the smarty cam hd. Plug and play and the data is automatically overlaid on the video. Even you can't screw it up Howie . I've very happy with my aim solo and the race studio analysis software.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by skxf430
Yes, the AIM Solo DL is made by the same people that make the Smarty Cam. If you want to use your GO Pro than you will need to use something like a AIM solo DL which needs to use program like Dashware or Race Render to do the overlay. But, if you step up to a Smarty Cam, to my knowledge the Smarty Cam will do the overlay automatically. The new Smarty Cam HD is brand new and not too many people have used it yet, and it is priced at over $1,000. It does look like a pretty slick unit but I have yet to see the quality of the video or sound quality to make a decision on it.
Well I'm not spending over $1000. Although I guess I could get something for my Gopro .....

DH
Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redtopz
I want the smarty cam hd. Plug and play and the data is automatically overlaid on the video. Even you can't screw it up Howie . I've very happy with my aim solo and the race studio analysis software.
Bill

I appreciate your confidence in me Its not that I'm not computer savey ........ I just don't want to spend a bunch of time rendering/splicing and what not.

Anyways, I'm not shelling out $1000 for data over lay, although this SmartySonofaBitch sounds like the ticket.

DH
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just finally got all this sorted out myself. It's a lot easier and cheaper than I thought:
  1. GoPro for video
  2. ELM327 Wifi OBD2 adapter from Amazon (it has an orange and blue design) $25. This works on IPHONE. Only the WIFI version works on iPhone!
  3. TrackAddict for your iPhone to log data $7
  4. RaceRender for your computer to merge the data and video $25

Done! Works great and it's a lot easier than I thought after I got the hang of it. You can log all types of parameters - RPM, throttle, mph, etc. Data is collected every 50ms, so that's 20 samples per second.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Achilles97
I just finally got all this sorted out myself. It's a lot easier and cheaper than I thought:
  1. GoPro for video
  2. ELM327 Wifi OBD2 adapter from Amazon (it has an orange and blue design) $25. This works on IPHONE. Only the WIFI version works on iPhone!

Done! Works great and it's a lot easier than I thought after I got the hang of it. You can log all types of parameters - RPM, throttle, mph, etc. Data is collected every 50ms, so that's 20 samples per second.

Good luck!
Thanks for the clarity ......

Two questions
1. Does RaceRender work on MacOS
2. Does the iphone need to be hooked up to a service provider

DH
Old 10-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Achilles97
Instructor

Thanks for the clarity ......

Two questions
1. Does RaceRender work on MacOS
2. Does the iphone need to be hooked up to a service provider

DH
RaceRender is available for Mac OSX.

The iPhone does not need to be connected to a service provider. It only needs the capability of running the TrackAddict app (does not require internet after the initial install) and being able to connect to the OBD2 device via Wifi. In fact, it's probably better that the phone not have any service connectivity so your recording will not be interrupted by a phone call.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

1. GoPro for video

Good luck!
That sounds good. I might have to try that.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

RaceRender is available for Mac OSX.

The iPhone does not need to be connected to a service provider. It only needs the capability of running the TrackAddict app (does not require internet after the initial install) and being able to connect to the OBD2 device via Wifi. In fact, it's probably better that the phone not have any service connectivity so your recording will not be interrupted by a phone call.

Will this work with any iphone or does it have to be a more recent model??

DH
Old 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bill,

If you want a Smarty Cam HD send me a PM.

I have two in stock. Special Corvette racer pricing.

J.R.
www.DataMotorSports.com
Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

1. GoPro for video

Good luck!
A 20 Hz data logger? Most phones are 1 - 2 Hz (1000mS - 500mS refresh rate). These are useless for track sessions. Too slow for accuracy at the speed you're traveling. External loggers I have seen are in the 5Hz - 10Hz (200mS - 100mS) range. What h/w did you find to do a 20Hz refresh rate?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Achilles97
Instructor

Will this work with any iphone or does it have to be a more recent model??

DH
I imagine it will work on any iPhone. I am using a standard iphone 4. I will PM you the links to the products when I get on my computer later.

Get notified of new replies

To Interested in Data Acquisition

Old 10-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Achilles97
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluefire
A 20 Hz data logger? Most phones are 1 - 2 Hz (1000mS - 500mS refresh rate). These are useless for track sessions. Too slow for accuracy at the speed you're traveling. External loggers I have seen are in the 5Hz - 10Hz (200mS - 100mS) range. What h/w did you find to do a 20Hz refresh rate?
I noticed a 1000ms refresh on my iphone when it was logging data through GPS. However, the OBD2 device connected to the TrackAddict iPhone app pulls data every ~50ms. I tested the usb version of the same OBD2 device connected to a laptop and it refreshed every 35ms, but this version couldn't connect to the IPhone. The refresh slows the more parameters you log. The 50ms was logging RPM, MPH, and throttle %. I did a session with 5 parameters and it still averaged around 65ms.

I will make a post later with some data log lines and I will give links to the actual product as long as I am not breaking forum rules with the link.

EDIT = the logs have entries every 50ms but it doesnt look like the data values change but every second or so. Dang :-(

Last edited by Achilles97; 10-21-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Might want to look into this.

http://stoppani.net/products.html

Seems to give you what you want for what you are willing to pay.

I met someone at one of my trackdays that used the basic system on their smartphone. Looked pretty cool.

The real power of these data acquisition systems is to be able to compare laps and a number of different data sets to improve your driving and also car set-up.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Achilles97
Instructor

1. GoPro for video

Good luck!
Details:

ELM327 OBD2 WIFI device for iPhone:
Elm327 WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC : Amazon.com : Automotive Elm327 WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC : Amazon.com : Automotive

Look at the customer review by Jeffrey explaining how to connect to iPhone. You only need to do steps 1, 2, and 3. Ignore the rest.

TrackAddict app for iPhone. Connects to the ^ ELM OBD2 device through Wifi:
http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html

RaceRender for computer to merge video and data:
http://racerender.com/RR2/Features.html

Here's a sample of my data logs:

EDIT = I see that although there are rows every 50ms, the data doesnt change but every second or so. Hmmm. So perhaps I was wrong about the refresh. :-(

I have a small video on my thread here that shows the data overlay using the above setup. Note that the RaceRender logo is not there on the paid version of the software.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...car-video.html

Last edited by Achilles97; 10-21-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: Interested in Data Acquisition