Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I ok with Prestone synth DOT4?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Am I ok with Prestone synth DOT4?

My 542rwhp C6 Z06 has the stock brake system with Hawk HPS pads. Last weekend I flushed my brake fluid and put in fresh Prestone Synthetic DOT4.

I plan on doing a HPDE at EagleCanyon in Texas in a few weeks. I will run in the Novice class with my street Bridgestone tires. This is my second HPDE event but the first on a faster track like EagleCanyon (2.5 miles; 2000ft straight). I plan on a maximum of 5 laps before I come in for a cool down.

Am I ok with the Prestone fluid or should I go to something better? I am not sure if my Hawk HPS pads and Bridgestone tires are capable of a performance level to boil my fluid. I know I am not going to be capable of driving my car to 100% but I plan on pushing it as much as I can.

I appreciate any advice on my fluid situation.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:08 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I think you'll be fine with the Prestone DOT 4. It's definitely not up there with Castrol SRF or Motul RBF 600, but it's got a respectable 510° dry boiling point, so your fresh fluid should give you good service for a couple track days.

HOWEVER....tires stop the car!!

What tires will you be running??

What I'd be most concerned about are the HPS pads.

If they're street tires, you'll probably be okay with the HPS, but they're a street pad and can be easily overtemped and glazed on the track - especially with any tire stickier than a street tire.

I don't think you'll boil the Prestone DOT 4, which would give you a soft brake pedal and no brakes.

But, if you heat the HPS pads up over their operating range they'll glaze, and even though you have a firm pedal the brakes just won't stop you effectively.

Bottom line - there's no pad that works great for both the street and the track. The HP Plus would probably come the closest to being a street/track pad, as long as you're just running a street tire.

Bob
Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 AM
Achilles97
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the information. I am going to run my Bridgestone RE050a tires. These are my only tires, my normal street tires. Since this is only my second HPDE (after having the car for 3 years), I didn't want to spend a lot of money on race tires and a second set of brake pads until I decide that I will actually participate in these events often enough and that I can drive the car decently enough to warrant the effort. After thinking this through, I will go out there and just try to drive smoothly and spirited and learn the track without attempting to beat any records.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

You'll be fine with your setup for your first few track days.

Originally Posted by Achilles97
....until I decide that I will actually participate in these events often enough and that I can drive the car decently enough to warrant the effort....
Uhhh....sorry, but if you do a couple more track events you'll be addicted!!!

Welcome to the dark side!!!

Bob
Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BEZ06,

Have you tried Endless brake pads??? These work extremely well for both street and track. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. The Endless pads I use are ME20's and their brake fluid RF650 is better than Motul and is supposed be safer for your rubber seals than SRF.

I boiled Motul the very first day I went out and made a mess. Never going back to it.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
BEZ06,

Have you tried Endless brake pads??? These work extremely well for both street and track. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. The Endless pads I use are ME20's and their brake fluid RF650 is better than Motul and is supposed be safer for your rubber seals than SRF.

I boiled Motul the very first day I went out and made a mess. Never going back to it.
Does Endless make C6 Z06 pads? I didn't think they were available?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
BEZ06,

I haven't tried Endless but the Carbotech are my favorite. Great modulation, life, easy to clean dust, rotor friendly and very streetable even in the track compounds but can make noise if you are easy braking on the street. Carbotech Adam supports us on the forum.

A search will provide a wealth of contradictory information
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
You'll be fine with your setup for your first few track days.

Uhhh....sorry, but if you do a couple more track events you'll be addicted!!!

Welcome to the dark side!!!

Bob
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ooops. I did not realize they didn't make pads for the stock Z06 caliper. I am running Stoptechs on my car.

But this guy found an ingenius way of water cutting an Endless pad for his stock calipers.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...or-z06-c6.html
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I ran Hawk HPS pads with ATE Super Blue and Michelin PSCs in the Green Group at VIR and had no issues with the pads or fluid. I ran the full sessions without coming in for cool downs (though I did get stuck behind a number of slower cars at times.) I think you'll be fine.

Last edited by dmyers; 10-21-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I ok with Prestone synth DOT4?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I ok with Prestone synth DOT4?