Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autox

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 AM
spro2395
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autox

Hi All,
I'm very new to autox and so far I'm really bad at it (but want to improve) my next race is Saturday. One of the many things I'm having a problem with is left foot braking I start off the run doing it and by the first or second turn I realize that iv'e switched to my right.
Is it that beneficial to left foot brake?
Joe
Old 10-23-2013, 07:34 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Absolutely. Look for "how to drive fast" by Alex Lloyd. I'll stop short of saying it is the best reference but it will, at the very least, tell you WHY it is important. My last instructor cautioned me that it is very hard to learn while on the track because, as you have found, reflex takes over under pressure.
I've been practicing while city driving and after a few months still find myself reverting back.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Some folks do and some don't. Sam Strano (multi time national champ) doesn't do it and does not recommend it. Personally I have always found it pretty natural, probably from karting.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

If you are new to autox, I wouldn;t worry about left foot braking yet.

Learn clean, smooth lines, and get comfortable pushing the car hard before you start tweaking with things like left foot braking. It is an important skill, but you are trying to do fine motor work before you tackle the rough motor work...
Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
If you are new to autox, I wouldn;t worry about left foot braking yet.
Absolutely. There's far more important things to worry about when you are first learning to autox. Work on the low hanging fruit first.

80% of being a fast autoxer is looking ahead. Work on that. It should naturally balance you between driving aggressive and smooth.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 AM
spro2395
Racer

Originally Posted by joenationwide
Absolutely. There's far more important things to worry about when you are first learning to autox. Work on the low hanging fruit first.

80% of being a fast autoxer is looking ahead. Work on that. It should naturally balance you between driving aggressive and smooth.
The looking ahead part is a lot harder than I thought it would be.
I have a total of 13 runs at 3 events and unfortunately 7 of those where DNF'S !
Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

In some cars it's really important to left foot brake, in particular it really helps in front drivers. I used to left foot brake in RX-7's, but when I went to C4's found that it just made the car push straight ahead and didn't help. Look ahead and drive the car and don't worry about it.

I practiced left foot braking in the RX-7 by driving it that way every day for months, to the point where it became second nature. Only then was I successful at doing it.

The point being that you will drive in an autocross or the track the same way you drive on the street, because that is what is hard wired to your brain. In order to retrain your brain you have to do the same thing on the street as you do on the track.

Another technique that you can practice every time you drive is learning smooth and accurate turn in. If every time you enter a corner you think about what you are looking at (in terms of arc and speed) and then try to smoothly turn the wheel ONCE and then HOLD IT THERE until you finish the corner (and obviously you might have to correct your line as you learn this technique so you don't hit anything or run off the road at first). The objective of the exercise is to program your mind as to how much you need to smoothly turn the wheel. This eliminates the urge that a lot of novices have to initially turn the wheel too fast and to yank the car into the turn to "set" it, and then back out of the steering to prevent the car from going into the weeds. The end result is a much smoother corner entry without upsetting the car.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM
spro2395
Racer

Originally Posted by Solofast
In some cars it's really important to left foot brake, in particular it really helps in front drivers. I used to left foot brake in RX-7's, but when I went to C4's found that it just made the car push straight ahead and didn't help. Look ahead and drive the car and don't worry about it.

I practiced left foot braking in the RX-7 by driving it that way every day for months, to the point where it became second nature. Only then was I successful at doing it.

The point being that you will drive in an autocross or the track the same way you drive on the street, because that is what is hard wired to your brain. In order to retrain your brain you have to do the same thing on the street as you do on the track.

Another technique that you can practice every time you drive is learning smooth and accurate turn in. If every time you enter a corner you think about what you are looking at (in terms of arc and speed) and then try to smoothly turn the wheel ONCE and then HOLD IT THERE until you finish the corner (and obviously you might have to correct your line as you learn this technique so you don't hit anything or run off the road at first). The objective of the exercise is to program your mind as to how much you need to smoothly turn the wheel. This eliminates the urge that a lot of novices have to initially turn the wheel too fast and to yank the car into the turn to "set" it, and then back out of the steering to prevent the car from going into the weeds. The end result is a much smoother corner entry without upsetting the car.
I definitely yank it into the turns!!!!
I know i'm doing after the run is over and driving in to hot to make up time.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:44 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spro2395
The looking ahead part is a lot harder than I thought it would be.
I have a total of 13 runs at 3 events and unfortunately 7 of those where DNF'S !
Looking ahead may be the hardest thing for people to learn. It is absolutely not intuitive, and takes time to build the habit. Its just as hard to learn in autox as it is on track. But the payoff is you will become very fast.

I don't autox as much as I would like these days. I just did one last month after almost 2 years being away from it. But my first 3 times were within hundreths of a second of each other. That consistency comes from looking ahead.

Next time you are at the starting line at an autox there is only two words that should enter your head. Look ahead.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:09 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The most important part of looking ahead, I believe, is knowing where the course goes. This will improve your times the most. Get out and walk it several times -- at least once without distraction from talking with others. Try to walk the course as if you are sitting in the driver's seat and take the line you feel is best. Stop and look back at where you've come from. Either visualize the course or make a quick sketch. You should be able to draw the course in your mind. From there, you can look ahead.

Learn what's important on course. Many cones are a distraction and can be ignored. Learn to recognize the apex (which may or may not be the one(s) marked.) Figure out how to get from corner to corner in the fastest line. Look to the next corner and not the one you're taking as you prepare to line up for it.

Learn when you need to give up speed to go faster. Use soft hands and feet as you apply gas and brakes. Smooth is faster. And, finally, let other faster drivers take your car out before you spend money on "go-fast" parts. We all find out that what's needed most is seat time.

--Dan
Old 10-24-2013, 05:42 AM
spro2395
Racer

OK.Look ahead and I need to keep reminding myself not to drive into the corners so hard.
Do you guys have recommendations on what air pressure I should run in the tires?
I have Nitto 555 street tires that are brand new. 285/40/17 in front and 315/35/17 in the rear. I ran 37 in all 4 corners last time.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Usually run 2#'s higher pressure in front on tires. My street tires I use 38 front, 36 rear hot. But those are PS2's. Every tire is different , but I would start there

Get notified of new replies

To Autox

Quick Reply: Autox