Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick/Tilton Clutch Master Cylinder Use Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:54 AM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tick/Tilton Clutch Master Cylinder Use Reviews

The master cylinder (MC) on my C5 has given up the ghost, so I am at the crossroads of deciding what to replace the MC with. OE? Tick? Tilton? I use the car for HPDE's and daily driving. I do not plan any major performance modifications (at most a mild heads/cam setup) in the distance future. Goal is building a reliable car the still retains good street manners. As a experienced Mechanical engineer I am trying to get through the marketing crap and find out the facts and get some real feedback on Clutch MC use, as most reviews, like myself, are replacing faulty MC's, so naturally the reviews tend to be positive.

So first things first. . .

DESIGN
OE - Plastic body? Piston Bore Diameter? Piston seal design? Part metal hard line and flex line. No heat shielding on line. No adjustment needed.
Tick - Aluminum body. Appears to be based on Tilton 75-series M (Reference Link) Piston Bore Diameter? Piston seal design? Adjustable shaft length. Stainless steel flexible hydraulic line. Heat shield on hydraulic line. What "expertise" was employeed into the Tilton MC that makes its more effective and reliable? What are the "few NASCAR concepts" used?
Tilton - Not sure if this even exists as a off-the-shelf kit, but I read that someone used a smaller piston bore tilton MC for C5.

CLUTCH USE/FEEL
OE - Well this is simply the baseline. It provides enought travel to allow feathering of the clutch on the street. Allows smooth feathering during downshifts with imperfect rev matching to avoid sharp weight upsets.
Tick - This is where I am looking for some good feedback. Sure it fixes everyones faulty clutch MC problems, but what is it like to daily drive with a Tick MC? What about road racing? Ultimately the cylinder bore is going to be the primary factor in how the MC behaves compared to the OE MC. If it is much bigger than the OE, then clutch engagement will occur much more rapidly, with much less pedal travel. This is something that I would tolerate to some extent, but I am NOT looking for an ON-OFF switch that supports drag racing.

I think I have said enough, so I will shut-up and let you guys and ladies share your facts and experiences.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Why do you really want to install something other than stock OE cylinder ? Is there some specific benefit you want from an aftermarket unit ? OE works well in street and HPDE applications especially if you place a heat shield around the line. They cost less than the aftermarket units and are specifically engineered for the application. IMHO don't waste time with a lot of analysis, just install OE and drive that car.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You can install a stainless line on the OEM clutch master - http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-an...ing,25017.html
I have had zero issues with it or the OEM master in many years of use.
You can also add a tie-rod setup and adjust pedal height with some work, which I think is the main benefit of the Tick setup.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Why do you really want to install something other than stock OE cylinder ? Is there some specific benefit you want from an aftermarket unit ? OE works well in street and HPDE applications especially if you place a heat shield around the line. They cost less than the aftermarket units and are specifically engineered for the application. IMHO don't waste time with a lot of analysis, just install OE and drive that car.
That is what I am looking for. Is there a reason to run a tilton based MC? From a reliability standpoint, the tilton seems to have a leg up on OE, though I don't know what type of seals are used in either. I just want to be an informed customer so I can make a educated decision.

Last edited by BryanPendleton; 10-23-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless you have pedal sticking issues, usually associated with higher hp motors, the stock should work fine. The pedal adj is a benefit, but from my understanding, the pedal should be adj to where clutch is properly disengaging, not to where it is comfortable. I ran a stock mc on my 500rwhp without issues on the road courses, but have never done the 1/4 mi stuff.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went dragging with my '01 (386whp, 52k miles)
Clutch started the stick. Just got the Tick MC and Mcleod RSD and the whole bit but I hear the Tick may make the pedal stiff. I guess there are two different options with Tick. I hope mine works good! It was the only option I saw on their site
Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 PM
RocketSled2004
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a floor sticker also and I don't want to increase pedal foot pressure. Does anyone know more?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:21 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Don't quote me but I think there is a MC from tick with either a 3/4" bore or a 7/8" which is standard. The 7/8 allows more fluid which stiffens the clutch so the 3/4" would be ideal for dd.

Here is a little more info: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...post1585235151

When I looked on the website I saw one option and didn't bother to call. I hope I didn't make a mistake!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:39 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Don't quote me but I think there is a MC from tick with either a 3/4" bore or a 7/8" which is standard. The 7/8 allows more fluid which stiffens the clutch so the 3/4" would be ideal for dd.

Here is a little more info: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...post1585235151

When I looked on the website I saw one option and didn't bother to call. I hope I didn't make a mistake!
Any update on this? Mine is on the way, for the same reason, and I have the same concern...
Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW, have one 3/4" tilton 75 series m/c still available for sale. I recently sold one to another member who had the tick setup with the larger m/c and decided to go to a smaller m/c for softer and longer stroke pedal more like the factory setup.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

That does sound nice..... I'd be interested in that.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by trackboss
FWIW, have one 3/4" tilton 75 series m/c still available for sale. I recently sold one to another member who had the tick setup with the larger m/c and decided to go to a smaller m/c for softer and longer stroke pedal more like the factory setup.
Does it still eliminate the sticky/weird pedal symptoms?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:56 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Mc

Tick for the adjustablity, works great and it will be there when you need or want to upgrade.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:17 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Not certain what the oem MC costs but Ram sells a modified oem with adjustability

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1120-ra...-corvette.aspx
Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Not certain what the oem MC costs but Ram sells a modified oem with adjustability

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1120-ra...-corvette.aspx
There's a group buy for the Tick on Tech right now for the same price, plus a free speed bleeder... there's no way I'd get the Ram over the Tick at the same price, or at the $5 price difference they typically have between them
Old 12-21-2013, 07:00 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
There's a group buy for the Tick on Tech right now for the same price, plus a free speed bleeder... there's no way I'd get the Ram over the Tick at the same price, or at the $5 price difference they typically have between them
I never owned a Tick so no experience except that I heard install was more difficult than oem unit, I believe due to space restrictions. On my 2002 C5z I installed a Mcleod and pedal feel was like oem and install was relatively easy. Definitely fixed the "creeping issue" and allowed 7100 rpm shifts without issue.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:17 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
That would me! Really like the 3/4 bore over the 7/8. Stock feel.

Get notified of new replies

To Tick/Tilton Clutch Master Cylinder Use Reviews

Old 12-24-2013, 06:11 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MX621
That would me! Really like the 3/4 bore over the 7/8. Stock feel.
Are there any downsides to the 3/4" vs the 7/8"? I would assume that there's a reason the default is a 7/8" rather than the 3/4".
Old 12-24-2013, 05:33 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Just installed a Tick clutch master last month as I was having issues with my C6Z06 clutch sticking to the floor.

Works as advertized, clutch feel is improved over stock with a more linier engagement. May be due to the stock spring adding a wierd double sprung feel?

May be slightly firmer than stock but has a better feel to me. The real test is my wife really prefers the feel and says its better to drive now.

Kind of a PITA to install vs the stock one but worth it once done.

The thing I really like is shifting into 5th at speed is smoother with better feel. could care less about drag racing, but it excells on the road course when the trans. fluid is hot. Would occasionally grind 5th now I dont.

Anyone that thinks the Corvette was engineered with heavy HPDE use in mind is kidding themselves. A plastic master cyl.? please. Not to mention the bleeder setup?
Old 12-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Quick 06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the Tick about 2 months now and it is definitely a harder stroke. It's taking a while to get used to the quick release near the top; however, my shifts are much cleaner and my twin-disk RPS seems to like it. I haven't had it to the track since installing but would expect easier shifting at flat out RPMs.

Quick Reply: Tick/Tilton Clutch Master Cylinder Use Reviews