Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSP Vette

Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 PM
rocket71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSP Vette

Hello everyone!

I just purchased a "prep'd" SSP Vette. It is a 2004 Z06 w/5000 miles. The history on the car is from what I can figure out. It was bought by a David Lehman, sent to Danny Popp to prep it for what was ASP. It was eventually sold with about 3500 miles to Robert Carpenter. Now me. I am not 100% sure what "prep'd" means. Here is what the ad said...

1) Danny Popp built the car after David purchased the car, but it has Danny's tune in the car right now. So the car has been tuned.
2) Cold air intake installed with a CC'd throttle body to get more air in the car.
3) It has a vette sping in the front that is stiffer than stock but I still have the stock spring that's never been used.
4) I don't know what kind of headers it has but they are SS with dual exhaust back.
5) Koni invert mounted shocks.
6) Polly bushings all the way around
7) Aftermarket stearing wheel. (Sparco I think but it was installed new two years ago)
8) Sparco seats and the driver in on a slider.
9) 4 CCW wheels 18x10.5 front and 18x11 rear.

There are alot of details I am missing but don't care at this point. I had hoped to gauge my performance level in the car at fall Blytheville but that got cancelled due to lack of entries. I have ran it twice and am extremely happy. I hope to run in Atlanta Champion of Champions this Sunday.

I am not sure where to go exactly what to do with the car right now except drive it. I currently am running 315 A6's on 18x10.5" in the front and 335 on 18x10.5 in the rear. I have a seperate set of new tires on 18x10.5F & 18x11R. Not sure what the best wheel width is.

Based upon looking at all the entries over the last year, I need to come up with some rear aero per the Street Prepared rules.

I do have a few questions and this is likely not the best forum to post it but since I am here....With only 5000 miles and the car sitting for long spells, what should I go through this winter and replace? Plugs? wires? coils? fuel filter? Apparently nothing has been replaced in at least 4 years. Any thoughts?

Thanks for you help! I am excited to finally own a Vette and ready to put some rubber down.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Are you going to use it for scca solo? Or otherwise?

Makes a difference on suggestions.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 PM
rocket71
Intermediate

Right now I only plan on running in at SCCA Solo events in SSP. It will be trailered to and from events.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

If it were mine, all I would do is change fluids (unless you have a record that it's been done). At 5k it's due for oil. I would put Redline everywhere else, oil of your choice for the temps wherever you will run it.

If DP had his hands on it I would not change a single nut/bolt unless/until something breaks.

Learn to drive the setup on the car now. It's as good as it gets.

I do think a 335 needs at least a 12" rim (my setup) but it'll stick out an inch (rear) so watch the fender lip.

Want to share what you paid?

Wish you were near San Diego, there are 2 of us that run ssp and one or two more (I think) coming in 2014 when they force street tires and indexing on the stock-->street classes.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-23-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:34 PM
rocket71
Intermediate

I agree with you on learning the car. I do want to add the aero though. Full fluids is on the list. The oil has been changed 2x a season for the past owner. Given it is a 10 year old car, are there any other issues I should look for? ie, dry rot hoses in particular?

The plan for next year is Mineral Wells Pro Solo (will be stationed close by) and then when back in Chattanooga, TN --- the Toledo Pro, Blytheville Pro, DC Pro, and Pro Finale. I need to check the dates, if Nats for SSP is on Tues/Wed I might stay for it.

I feel like the deal I got was very good. He had been asking $25k and I am well under that.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by rocket71
I agree with you on learning the car. I do want to add the aero though. Full fluids is on the list. The oil has been changed 2x a season for the past owner. Given it is a 10 year old car, are there any other issues I should look for? ie, dry rot hoses in particular?

The plan for next year is Mineral Wells Pro Solo (will be stationed close by) and then when back in Chattanooga, TN --- the Toledo Pro, Blytheville Pro, DC Pro, and Pro Finale. I need to check the dates, if Nats for SSP is on Tues/Wed I might stay for it.

I feel like the deal I got was very good. He had been asking $25k and I am well under that.
The miles being so low, I think the hoses are probably ok. I had a balancer come off on course, but at 50k miles. When you run up in the high rpms a lot the balancer is something to watch.

I did the usual stuff so it runs cooler than the oem temps.

I "think" the rules will let you delete the cats (saves #50) but check that, the stock seats are heavy too. Don't touch the suspension/alignment stuff, but lighter is good. Might need to tweak the tune with cat delete but maybe ok, codes will come on.

I don't know how far you want to develop it (a/c delete etc.).You can go quite a ways with sp cars. I stopped with mine so it can go back to stock some day.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a good time over the winter to check the valve springs in the motor and see if they need to be replaced. I wouldn't mess with the setup since like others have already said... Danny knows what he's doing.

Just drive it and have fun!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM
rocket71
Intermediate

Pushinthelimit - have we met? I have autox'd a good bit with ETR. Got any leads on exactly what to look for on those valve springs. Robert metioned that to me.

Froggy -
The car has a good list of stuff done. Here is what I know.

Weight Mods
- 50th Anniversary Carbon Fiber Hood
- A/C delete
- Radio delete
- Sparco Seats (both)
- Sparco Steering wheel (no air bag)

Power Mods
- Carbon Fiber CAI, cant remember maker
- Bored throttle body ( don't know specs )
- Stainless long tube headers
- Cat delete, w/X Pipe
- Danny Tune

Suspension
- Koni Yellows
- Front Spring - increased rate (don't know specs)
- Alignment Camber -2.5 f, -1.5 r. Toe 1/8 out front, 1/8 in rear

I really don't have any plans to mess with the car right now. Robert had said he wanted to try rear aero and that he had spoken with Danny I believe who said that they have learned alot since it was tuned and there is more to be had with the tune. He did mention the valve springs also.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Rocket71:

That's a sweet car, and I recall seeing it run during 2009 (I was running a different car, but always paid attention to SS and (back then) ASP).

Beyond the fluid change, I'd consider pulling the shocks and having them dyno'ed. Perhaps the previous owner has the dyno curves and knows if they are "off the shelf" yellows or revalved. But I'd take the time and effort to make sure that the shocks are fresh.

Suspension-wise, I'd check the alignment and corner weights.

I also recall the car a being extremely loud. Noise rule have tightened up since 2009, and if the car is still in the same trim as back then, it may not meet the tighter rules. So I'd ask your local region to set up a sound meter at events so that you can have some indication as to its sound level.

While aero has evolved in SP since 2009, I'd still suggest driving the car in its current state. Make sure that you're getting the most out of the car and that you like its low speed and higher speed balance before potentially confusing the issue with aero.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by acrace
Rocket71:

That's a sweet car, and I recall seeing it run during 2009 (I was running a different car, but always paid attention to SS and (back then) ASP).

Beyond the fluid change, I'd consider pulling the shocks and having them dyno'ed. Perhaps the previous owner has the dyno curves and knows if they are "off the shelf" yellows or revalved. But I'd take the time and effort to make sure that the shocks are fresh.

Suspension-wise, I'd check the alignment and corner weights.

I also recall the car a being extremely loud. Noise rule have tightened up since 2009, and if the car is still in the same trim as back then, it may not meet the tighter rules. So I'd ask your local region to set up a sound meter at events so that you can have some indication as to its sound level.

While aero has evolved in SP since 2009, I'd still suggest driving the car in its current state. Make sure that you're getting the most out of the car and that you like its low speed and higher speed balance before potentially confusing the issue with aero.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, what a deal!
I have some 18x11 & 18x12 CCWs with A6 315s and 335s mounted.
If you want I'll trade you when you come up to DC Pro, I'd rather have some 18x10.5s and 18x11s.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do fluids like you said. I would leave the suspension alone, the car works fine. Just adding the rear spoiler means that you are going to change the balance of the car, and you will need to compensate for that. Just adding a spoiler will assure you have a car that understeers at speed. The konis are quite durable, I wouldn't bother checking them till you get into very fine tuning.

The poly bushings require maintenance. Binding bushings can cause a lot of bad behavior, understeer, oversteer, cant put power down, ABS issues, etc. I would disconnect a front shock and spring to see if they move freely, if not pull them and grease them. Your new competitor Alex will tell you the same thing as he made wild shock and spring changes trying to make the car work when it was mostly just binding bushings.

just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM
acrace
Drifting

autoxer6 has an excellent point about checking the bushings. I forgot about that. I'd also add - check the sway bar bushings. Disconnect the end links and make sure that the bar rotates freely.

I mentioned checking the shocks becuase I've had issues with one set of Konis in the past, but they had been revalved.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Berry,

glad the car is staying local and in a good home.

I know David towed that everywhere and I don't THINK he strapped it to the LCA's so other than the big wheels/tires pushing on those bushings, that's what I would check for sure.

I remove my front sway bar periodically to clean it and re-lube the bushings. I assume (never asked David or Robert ) if the car had a big front bar on it, but I assume it does, so some checking of the movement of it is important so it doesn't bind. That big bar will squeeze the stuff out easily.

Maybe over the winter, check the plugs... flush fluids and so on.

check the diff where the CV axles connect... the driver's side is a common seal to go. I'd also check the CV boots since if they are still original, the rubber might be drying out. ??

Off topic, but Al... are you coming back anytime soon? I've not seen you since 2011 I think?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:56 AM
rocket71
Intermediate

AverageVetteNut - okay, you dropped my name but I am not sure I know who you are?

I got the car in the air and will check those bushings out. I am adding to the winter list, along with the valve springs which I am likely just going to change if I am in there.

Ok...so, I am not really one to leave well enough alone and just drive. I said I would just drive it but....I have heard that for 2.5 years from the day I started with my last car (S2000) and started AutoX'ng. I developed that car all while learning to drive. I know the Corvette is going to be a big change but so far locally things have went extremely well, too well. Locally doesn't really say much though except to feel good. The best quote I ever read which put local stuff in perspective for me was, "So you were FTD/FTP locally, thats cute" I will get a good test this weekend in Atlanta at their Champion of Champions end of year event but can't wait till the first national event. I am setting the same goal I did with the S2000. Top 50% finisher for class. That is going to be tough given the small size of classes and people like Joe Tharpe, Andy Hohl, Mike Johnson, & Courtney Cormier but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

In the mean time I really want to get my list together to make the car 10/10 prep'd. Or at least over the next year, get the stuff that is not cubic $$ out of the way. I will probably look for more help here and you will likely get a few laughs as I stumble and faulter.

Current List To Do's
1. Fluids
2. Check Bushings to include swaybars
3. Try to reach David or Danny to get a full list of what the car has
4. Dyno it, and plan for power mods from there
5. Start picking of small weight loss gains.
6. Aero (want to see other cars first)

Ok, my ADD has me rambling. Can't thank you guys enough for your feedback.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM
acrace
Drifting

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
Off topic, but Al... are you coming back anytime soon? I've not seen you since 2011 I think?
AverageVetteNut - yeah, I took 2012 and 2013 "off". I ran just one regional event each year. I don't have any plans to run in 2014, as of now. Don't know how much you kept up with Nationals, but Matthew Braun ran my '03 this year, so I was there in spirit. Lots of set-up details he didn't care for, but he really didn't have the time to dial it in to his preference.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on the car. Sounds like it is one ride.

Get notified of new replies

To SSP Vette

Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Ah..... so that was YOUR car he drove. Me being the "corvette guy" I had allot of people asking me if he was borrowing or bought one.

I took 13 off ( but got suckered into running peru in a grad sport ), but I'm back on the scene next year full tilt.

Berry... sorry... Brian Huber. I have run a bunch of ETR events and am on the forum there as well. ConeEater.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by froggy47
Wish you were near San Diego, there are 2 of us that run ssp and one or two more (I think) coming in 2014 when they force street tires and indexing on the stock-->street classes.
SS will continue to exist as-is unless it fails to make numbers at nats.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by hklvette
SS will continue to exist as-is unless it fails to make numbers at nats.
Correct, I know, nationally, there is a good turnout, locally not so much.

Three or four guys in a class make it more fun than one or two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SSP Vette