Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you installed DRM brake ducts on a C5? C'mon in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 10:06 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Have you installed DRM brake ducts on a C5? C'mon in...

So I'm installing my DRM brake ducts and have the OE Corvette ducts cut per instructions and the ID's of both the DRM duct and the OE ducts are the same! If you've done this job you know the OE ductwork, once cut, is supposed to slip into the end of the DRM duct and is secured with a couple of sheet metal screws, making a clean, quality install. Not on my parts!

I have considered that I may have the OE ducts a bit too long, although they measure 10 1/2" like the instructions call for. I was thinking perhaps the duct narrows a bit and that would allow the OE. ducts to slip into the DRM duct, but my calipers don't show it.

Talk to me... is this common? If this turns into a butt seam secured by duct tape...well I could have done that with the uncut OE ducts and 3" hose. I was looking for a quality install.

The image below shows the dilemma...the cut is on the left of the blue tape and the DRM duct is obviously on the right. Am I missing something?

Last edited by ZedO6; 10-26-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedO6
So I'm installing my DRM brake ducts and have the OE Corvette ducts cut per instructions and the ID's of both the DRM duct and the OE ducts are the same! If you've done this job you know the OE ductwork, once cut, is supposed to slip into the end of the DRM duct and is secured with a couple of sheet metal screws, making a clean, quality install. Not on my parts!

I have considered that I may have the OE ducts a bit too long, although they measure 10 1/2" like the instructions call for. I was thinking perhaps the duct narrows a bit and that would allow the OE. ducts to slip into the DRM duct, but my calipers don't show it.

Talk to me... is this common? If this turns into a butt seam secured by duct tape...well I could have done that with the uncut OE ducts and 3" hose. I was looking for a quality install.

The image below shows the dilemma...the cut is on the left of the blue tape and the DRM duct is obviously on the right. Am I missing something?

When I did mine I had the same issue. I just put a short lengthwise slit in the end of the duct that went inside the other so I could pinch the end in far enough to let it slip into the other part. Then I used the two screws to hold them together.

Bill
Old 10-26-2013, 10:47 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

It looks like it's gonna be a very tight squeeze even with the OE duct slit as you suggest. I was hoping there was a better answer....LOL. Thanks for your input Bill.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 AM
ktlocklear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is still a tight fit but works....i did the same thing with adding a couple of slits
Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

It seems like you could remove a little material from the outside of the smaller-diameter piece with a belt sander and the inside of the larger piece with a Dremel or spindle sander if you have access to one.

Is that possible?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Had the same problem several years ago when I did my install. Just make 2 small slits, remove about 1/8" of material and slide one inside the other. Secure with sheetmetal screws and a final wrap with duct tape. It will stay in place and work fine.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Had the same problem several years ago when I did my install. Just make 2 small slits, remove about 1/8" of material and slide one inside the other. Secure with sheetmetal screws and a final wrap with duct tape. It will stay in place and work fine.

...except use Gorilla tape. It's going absolutely nowhere. That stuff is legit.

Why they weren't made with a larger ID to slide over without the drama, I have no idea. Maybe a future improvement.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 AM
mphox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slit, screw and tape. Maybe not as clean as we would like but it works.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:36 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Okay gentlemen, thank you all for validating my install concerns. Slit, tape and screw it will be. Makes my **** side a bit crazy but I'm sure it will work fine.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

I spent too much time on this system and gave up. I run electric
blowers on the front . The biggest problem was finding a place for
the blowers. I am just like the Nascar guys---well sort of..........
Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
I spent too much time on this system and gave up. I run electric
blowers on the front . The biggest problem was finding a place for
the blowers. I am just like the Nascar guys---well sort of..........
You have pictures?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I run NASCAR blowers and DRM ducts.

I too had to slit and tape the DRM ducts.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Finished the install today. Like others have done, I slit each OE duct about 3" at 180 degree positions along the mold seam and used my cutoff wheel to open the slits about 1/8". This was enough to allow the OE ducts to slip into the DRM ducting. Not s great fit but good enough. I used two sheetmetal screws to hold the ducts in place per DRM instructions and then wrapped the seam with Gorilla tape. Worked okay, but DRM needs to address the incorrect ID on their ducting.

Gorilla tape OTOH works great and is far more professional looking than mere duct tape. I'll never use duct tape on this type of application again. Great tip!

Last edited by ZedO6; 10-28-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Have you installed DRM brake ducts on a C5? C'mon in...

Quick Reply: Have you installed DRM brake ducts on a C5? C'mon in...