Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes F1 V6 Simulation Video

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Mercedes F1 V6 Simulation Video

Why Ferrari and Mercedes will benefit most from F1's engine regulations in 2014

Many believe new rules will close the gap between Red Bull and rest of the Formula One field

By: Matthew Walthert, Bleacher Report on November 8, 2013

After four straight years of Formula One dominance from Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull Racing, fans are ready for a change. The hope is that new engine regulations for the 2014 season will provide it.

While a shake-up at the top of the standings is not guaranteed, major changes to engine regulations in the past have usually benefitted one specific group of constructors: those who build their own engines (or who are the sole customer of an engine company). Red Bull does not. It is reliant on Renault, who will also be powering Toro Rosso and Caterham (Lotus is using Renault engines this year but have yet to announce a supplier for 2014).

The only two constructors who will build their own engines next year are Ferrari and Mercedes. This gives them several advantages, including the ability to develop the engines and chassis side-by-side to complement each other. Meanwhile, engine customers must take what their supplier gives them.

To see the case for why Red Bull's era of dominance could be coming to an end, please see the article at Bleacher Report.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

F1 2014 V6 Turbo Engine - ERS Explained + Renault Engine Sound

Old 11-11-2013, 10:24 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would expect Renault to work very closely with RBR to develop their new engine package. If I'm an engine supplier, I want as many teams using my powerplant as possible to defray development costs and/or increase margin per engine. If the fastest team(s) are using the engine that I developed maybe more teams will switch to it, further decreasing unit cost.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:15 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Next year will be about one thing. Reliability
Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

2500 miles between power unit changes seems somewhat incredible, especially if they are trying to cut costs at the same time.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Although a record run I cannot be impressed besting Bill Elliot's 1987 single lap record of 201.364 mph in a Thunderbird? I would guess a current day sprint cup car without restrictor plate may come close or eclipse the 222.971 mph and current day IRL car would most certainly best it. No matter, the direction of top tier pro racing takes another step towards forced induction with smaller displacement and in some classes supplemental electric power.

----------------------------------------------

Colin Braun's lap of 222.971 mph on Wednesday at Daytona International Speedway in a Michael Shank Racing-owned Ford-Riley powered by a 3.5-liter, V-6 Ford EcoBoost race engine has had Ford Racing buzzing this week.

The lap topped the 26-old speed record of 210.364 mph set by Bill Elliot during qualifying for the 1987 Daytona 500. Restrictor plates designed to keep speeds down have been on NASCAR Sprint Cup cars at Daytona since 1998.

Braun also set a speed record for 10 miles from a standing start (210.018 mph average), and 10 kilometers from a standing start (202.438 mph average). Tiimes from Wednesday's special session are subject to Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) sanctioning.

To celebrate Braun's accomplishment, Ford Racing released a video highlighting the day's events and including interviews with several of the people who helped to make the record happen.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:26 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Although a record run I cannot be impressed besting Bill Elliot's 1987 single lap record of 201.364 mph in a Thunderbird?
Elliot went 210 at Daytona and 212 at Talladega, and if you come to Dawsonville GA and look at that car in the museum and had to choose between the 222 mph DP car and the 210 mph stock car, you'd jump in the DP in a second

The (lack of) safety gear in his '87 thunderchicken is nothing short of amazing. The average road race club race car has 10x the amount of safety gear. It's a wonder somebody didn't get killed every weekend back in those days going 200+ mph in those cars.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Elliot went 210 at Daytona and 212 at Talladega, and if you come to Dawsonville GA and look at that car in the museum and had to choose between the 222 mph DP car and the 210 mph stock car, you'd jump in the DP in a second

The (lack of) safety gear in his '87 thunderchicken is nothing short of amazing. The average road race club race car has 10x the amount of safety gear. It's a wonder somebody didn't get killed every weekend back in those days going 200+ mph in those cars.
I agree and I'm not saying anything negative about Elliot or the ***** it took to drive the thunderchicken. Merely stating that 222 mph around a 2.5 mile banked oval is not hard to beat to in a modern day IRL car or an LMP1 car. Here's a clip from special event at Bristol to see who/what could turn the quickest lap...if you have a few minutes check it out

Above video stops short. Jason Blonde breaks the record here filmed outside the fence with camera phone...sorry

Last edited by NemesisC5; 11-11-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Although a record run I cannot be impressed besting Bill Elliot's 1987 single lap record of 201.364 mph in a Thunderbird? I would guess a current day sprint cup car without restrictor plate may come close or eclipse the 222.971 mph and current day IRL car would most certainly best it. No matter, the direction of top tier pro racing takes another step towards forced induction with smaller displacement and in some classes supplemental electric power.

----------------------------------------------

Colin Braun's lap of 222.971 mph on Wednesday at Daytona International Speedway in a Michael Shank Racing-owned Ford-Riley powered by a 3.5-liter, V-6 Ford EcoBoost race engine has had Ford Racing buzzing this week.

The lap topped the 26-old speed record of 210.364 mph set by Bill Elliot during qualifying for the 1987 Daytona 500. Restrictor plates designed to keep speeds down have been on NASCAR Sprint Cup cars at Daytona since 1998.

Braun also set a speed record for 10 miles from a standing start (210.018 mph average), and 10 kilometers from a standing start (202.438 mph average). Tiimes from Wednesday's special session are subject to Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) sanctioning.

To celebrate Braun's accomplishment, Ford Racing released a video highlighting the day's events and including interviews with several of the people who helped to make the record happen.

Would love to know how much power that ECOboost is making.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ford says it'll have 750 HP for our Record Run attempt, and 600 during its competitions.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree and I'm not saying anything negative about Elliot or the ***** it took to drive the thunderchicken. Merely stating that 222 mph around a 2.5 mile banked oval is not hard to beat to in a modern day IRL car or an LMP1 car. Here's a clip from special event at Bristol to see who/what could turn the quickest lap...if you have a few minutes check it out
yeah I remember seeing that at Bristol when it was on TV

IIRC Rusty Wallace hit 228 mph at the end of the straight about 10 yrs ago testing a non plate car at 'dega. I seem to remember them saying with more practice/gearing they could have hit 235, which would have made for a very fast average lap even with some lift (if needed) on the banking.

They averaged 240+ in Champ car in the heyday on the big ovals
Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

With the Nurburgring used as a yardstick for factory performance cars along with mile and half mile events around the country for "serious enthusiasts" I would be surprised if we don't see other car manufacturers showcase new technology as Ford did on some of our nations fastest tracks.

I saw another documentary a few years ago (still on my DVR) when Ford first introduced the EcoBoost truck motor. They took an EcoBoost engine and ran it in dyno cell for equivalent of roughly 100k miles, put same engine in F-150 truck body and towed two Nascar "Cup Cars" on a twin trailor for 24 hours straight, only stopping for fuel and to check tire pressures, then put same engine in 4 wheel drive F-150 body and towed large logs at a logging camp, then installed the same motor in a Baja 1000 truck body (stock engine class) and won their class. After all the punishment Ford took that same engine and disassembled at SEMA to check wear and tear on the internals in their booth. The engine held up great with little to normal wear. I could likely Google or Youtube and find a short story of the event if I was not so tired this evening...oh well that was too easy to find

Last edited by NemesisC5; 11-12-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:58 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Ford says it'll have 750 HP for our Record Run attempt, and 600 during its competitions.

That's not a great deal of power for a race motor! the I4 duratec engines have pushed put over 800bhp when they have been used in Ford sponsored cars (Ford Fiesta that did pikes peak last year i think). Would think the 3.5 ltr should be able to kick out more than 750bhp.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:07 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
2500 miles between power unit changes seems somewhat incredible, especially if they are trying to cut costs at the same time.
Cosworth released a press article when the last engine rule changes came about. They basically said its a total nightmare for the engine designers as they have to design, test a build a new engine from the ground up.

They also stated that the first goal was to build an engine to last the distance. After that you refine the unit after more testing (under race pace) and make things lighter and faster.

I can see te teams facing the same issues this time around. Through in the Energy recovery systems and its going to be an interesting first few races. Don't get me wrong these are not going to be the engines like the 1980's turbo era though. lol
Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think the Grand-Am ecoboost is stressed too much. Power outputs are pretty neutered and I think there is a focus on reliability as well. I'm sure it could throw up some bigger numbers if the class rules were more like the GTP rules in the 80s (where output would be in the 8-900hp range, or more). The ecoboost in the rally cross cars supposedly puts out 650hp/650tq, but those things don't run for longer than 10 minutes at a time or so.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:30 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think the Grand-Am ecoboost is stressed too much. Power outputs are pretty neutered and I think there is a focus on reliability as well. I'm sure it could throw up some bigger numbers if the class rules were more like the GTP rules in the 80s (where output would be in the 8-900hp range, or more).........
Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think the Grand-Am ecoboost is stressed too much. Power outputs are pretty neutered and I think there is a focus on reliability as well. I'm sure it could throw up some bigger numbers if the class rules were more like the GTP rules in the 80s (where output would be in the 8-900hp range, or more). The ecoboost in the rally cross cars supposedly puts out 650hp/650tq, but those things don't run for longer than 10 minutes at a time or so.
I saw where the ecoboost engine is 449 lbs (per Ford) without the IC stuff and exhaust plumbing. You never know what they include in those weights (dressed, with what, clutch, etc) but sounds like it could even be HEAVIER than the BMW or GM V8s in the DP's. Dunno. A stripped down accessory LS with a race alt and carbon valve covers, etc is pretty dang light

Get notified of new replies

To Mercedes F1 V6 Simulation Video

Quick Reply: Mercedes F1 V6 Simulation Video