Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIRST EVER Throttle Auto-Blip in C5Z utilizing STOCK ECU - Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 11:17 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
cheeters
So I guess all modern racecar drivers are cheaters because they dont even reallly drive a stick? They are mostly sequential paddle shift transmissions now. By the way, this auto blip of the throttle is electronically controlled on those too. So I guess we should stop innovating because these technologies will make us "cheat". Who knows pretty soon they will have cars that brake automatically for us before an accident, or parallel park for us or even have a camera to allow us to see in reverse....right?...Oh we HAVE those already.

We should just forget those advances in transmission tech, & electronic safety because they are cheating...

Go back to drive with NO power steering and THEN you too can say you dont "cheat"
Old 11-15-2013, 11:36 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Z06CE
So I guess all modern racecar drivers are cheaters because they dont even reallly drive a stick? They are mostly sequential paddle shift transmissions now. By the way, this auto blip of the throttle is electronically controlled on those too. So I guess we should stop innovating because these technologies will make us "cheat". Who knows pretty soon they will have cars that brake automatically for us before an accident, or parallel park for us or even have a camera to allow us to see in reverse....right?...Oh we HAVE those already.

We should just forget those advances in transmission tech, & electronic safety because they are cheating...

Go back to drive with NO power steering and THEN you too can say you dont "cheat"
Neither of my 944's have power steering and my Z06 is soon to be power steering-less. Maybe you should learn to drive a real racecar before adding things to make you moderately better. Since I currently know how to heal toe, this mod would be kinda cool. but it would also be like cheating on a video game. Yeah it will make you better but its gonna get boring in the end.

I left power steering in my silverado though. I think that's just fine there.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:12 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Neither of my 944's have power steering and my Z06 is soon to be power steering-less. Maybe you should learn to drive a real racecar before adding things to make you moderately better. Since I currently know how to heal toe, this mod would be kinda cool. but it would also be like cheating on a video game. Yeah it will make you better but its gonna get boring in the end.

I left power steering in my silverado though. I think that's just fine there.
So I guess everyone in modern racing should have you show them how to drive a real racecar. It seems that most every racecar today has power steering, sequential clutchless transimissions,with paddle shifters too, throttle blip on down shift. Apparently you are the odd man that chooses to ignore modern technology.

Too each his own. If its not for you tben so be it. Enjoy your time on track however you wish and I will enjoy mine the way I choose.

Last edited by C5Z06CE; 11-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:26 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Advanced

most professional drivers came from other driving with less modified cars. They didn't just jump into something with all the electronics and bells and whistles hooked up. What you are basically trying to say is that its OK for people to not know how to drive something if the electronics malfunction or are not present. I can tell you right now that its not true

One of the largest challenges to any motor-sport organization right now is drivers that are over reliant on electronics to drive their car effectively.

My first comment was a joke but you seem to take everything very personally.

So I guess everyone in modern racing should have you show them how to drive a real race-car. It seems that most every racecar today has power steering, sequential clutchless transimissions, throttle blip on down shift. Apparently you are the odd man that chooses to ignore modern technology.

Too each his own. If its not for you then so be it. Enjoy your time on track however you wish and I will enjoy mine the way I choose.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

In race school in addition to demonstrating that we know our flags and heal and toe shift we also need to show that we can crank start a car and drive with our mechanic seated next to the driver.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:24 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

most professional drivers came from other driving with less modified cars. They didn't just jump into something with all the electronics and bells and whistles hooked up. What you are basically trying to say is that its OK for people to not know how to drive something if the electronics malfunction or are not present. I can tell you right now that its not true

One of the largest challenges to any motor-sport organization right now is drivers that are over reliant on electronics to drive their car effectively.

My first comment was a joke but you seem to take everything very personally.
I dont take anything personal someone says on online forums. I also never said I do not know how to heel toe. I said I may not have mastered it to the point I feel comfortable using it on every turn on the track. I certainly dont think we should be overly reliant on electronics but its not reallistic to say if your paddle shifting car craps out on the track no big deal because I know how to drive stick shift.

The point is this is progress and innovative technology to help someone like me have more fun at the track. I am not intending to race. By your reasoning we should still drive Model Ts. Progress has been made. Some choose to embrace it others do not. I have made my choice and I like it. If you dont fine. I could care less. This thread was not written for you. It was written as an informative factual nonbiased review of new technology I was interested in. If you are not fine...move on. Posts should be kept informative and on topic and not saying people dont know how to drive or something similar.

Why do so many modern sports cars have this feature now? Because there is a growing demand for it.

I will post videos in the next few days for those interestsd.

C5Z06CE
Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Olitho
In race school in addition to demonstrating that we know our flags and heal and toe shift we also need to show that we can crank start a car and drive with our mechanic seated next to the driver.
HOLD UP, what flags.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Advanced

I dont take anything personal someone says on online forums. I also never said I do not know how to heel toe. I said I may not have mastered it to the point I feel comfortable using it on every turn on the track. I certainly dont think we should be overly reliant on electronics but its not reallistic to say if your paddle shifting car craps out on the track no big deal because I know how to drive stick shift.

The point is this is progress and innovative technology to help someone like me have more fun at the track. I am not intending to race. By your reasoning we should still drive Model Ts. Progress has been made. Some choose to embrace it others do not. I have made my choice and I like it. If you dont fine. I could care less. This thread was not written for you. It was written as an informative factual nonbiased review of new technology I was interested in. If you are not fine...move on. Posts should be kept informative and on topic and not saying people dont know how to drive or something similar.

Why do so many modern sports cars have this feature now? Because there is a growing demand for it.

I will post videos in the next few days for those interestsd.

C5Z06CE
You gota stop blowing things out of proportion. Maybe if you don't want to sidetrack conversations you shouldn't start a rant about how wrong someone is for saying "Cheaters." Also you don't have a paddle shifting car and neither do I. I don't know why you keep bringing it up. Talk about off topic.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I find this product intriguing. I am waiting for the video.

I am also curious about how it works compared to heal and toe. I sometime stab the throttle hard at high revs when shifting. Other times I barely tap the throttle going into some turns. The variability of my foot accommodates what I want to do. At other times I feel it difficult to brake at threshold and get my inputs into the throttle just right.

Trying it and seeing how I can adapt would be interesting.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Oli - I think you would need true rev-matching and not a blip of a certain RPM. You need to be able to match the engine speed and wheel speed relatively precisely, and that takes a different amt of blipping for each braking zone/turn, not to mention if in traffic during a race.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

You gota stop blowing things out of proportion. Maybe if you don't want to sidetrack conversations you shouldn't start a rant about how wrong someone is for saying "Cheaters." Also you don't have a paddle shifting car and neither do I. I don't know why you keep bringing it up. Talk about off topic.
I think maybe we are just misunderstanding each other. I am trying to understand your points I hope you can respect mine. The point About paddle shifters is that those are found on many race cars and other racecars have a sequential transmission shifted with a shifter like the one that costs $25k from LG. Those are new technologies that allow for more efficient shifting in racing. That's why they were adopted. I was making a point about your statement that people rely too much on technology and if something breaks you need to know how to do it the old school way. Well if paddle shifters or a sequential tranny break those drivers don't just pull out a new MGW shifter and finish the race because that is the fall back. They are out of commission until its fixed. Knowing how to drive stick shift will do them no good. Ok? , lets just agree we have differing views and take the new technology or leave it. It does not matter to me.

I will be posting videos as soon as I can figure out how to edit and post them here. Look for them later tonight or tomorrow.

C5Z06CE
Old 11-16-2013, 06:52 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Oli - I think you would need true rev-matching and not a blip of a certain RPM. You need to be able to match the engine speed and wheel speed relatively precisely, and that takes a different amt of blipping for each braking zone/turn, not to mention if in traffic during a race.
It actually worked extremely well on track today.... Actually better than I expected. I will post videos of that as soon as possible. There is a short learning curve but easily mastered in a day.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:27 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Advanced

I think maybe we are just misunderstanding each other. I am trying to understand your points I hope you can respect mine. The point About paddle shifters is that those are found on many race cars and other racecars have a sequential transmission shifted with a shifter like the one that costs $25k from LG. Those are new technologies that allow for more efficient shifting in racing. That's why they were adopted. I was making a point about your statement that people rely too much on technology and if something breaks you need to know how to do it the old school way. Well if paddle shifters or a sequential tranny break those drivers don't just pull out a new MGW shifter and finish the race because that is the fall back. They are out of commission until its fixed. Knowing how to drive tick shift will do them no good. Ok? , lets just agree we have differing views and take the new technology or leave it. It does not matter to me.

I will be posting videos as soon as I can figure out how to edit and post them here. Look for them later tonight or tomorrow.

C5Z06CE
I don't know why you keep bringing up paddle shifters like I said that someone's going to change shifters out. I said. You are a better drive if you learn to drive with the minimum and then use the electronics to excel rate your skills further. So please stop saying that I said this is bad. I never said that. I made a joke and you overreacted and started bringing up random ****. You responded to and one word post with a 3 paragraph response about things that literally don't matter.

On topic now, it seems really cool but I rather just learn to me Consistent with heel toe to advance my driving on a more personal level rather then an electronic (money) level.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:22 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still interested and I love tinkering with stuff like this so I'm in and would like to know more how to acquire. FWIW, I can heel-toe just fine
Old 11-16-2013, 10:57 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Default Videos of AutoBlip on C5 Corvette

Finally got it done guys. Here are 3 videos that show the AutoBlip.

1)

This video shows demo of AutoBlip feature in traffic. I demo the avoidance of the blip when stopped at a light, what happens if you dont avoid the blip at a light/stop sign, and the shudder/jerk that occurs when you don't time the clutch release exactly perfect. This shudder is relatively mild as you'll see in the video.

2)

Demo of AutoBlip feature in crusing and various highway speeds. Also demos how to adjust the AutoBlip and MAX Blip when set all the way up.

3)

Demo of the AutoBlip feature at the track. The day was foggy and wet. I do not have a mount for inside the car so I chose to mount the GoPro outside. Fog clouded this visibility of the tach. Read captions provided for details and watch my right hand and car balance on the slower parts of the track as I downshift. This track was 1.5 miles and could be done in 2nd and 3rd gears. Downshifting was smooth and reliable and EASY to perform. The last portion of the video shows a slight shudder where I let the clutch out a split second too late on a slow portion of the track.

The morning session had a different configuration than the afternoon. The afternoon session was faster and could be done in 2nd,3rd, and 4th gears. I reached speeds of up to 118 mph on the straight in 4th then braking to AutoBlip downshift at about 68 mph to 3rd without hesitation. Never did I feel unsteady or concerned about the balance. I started the day heel toeing without AutoBlip and soon began using it because I was more efficient with the AutoBlip and could brake later and shift later. My heel toe abilities are mediocre at present so I had to brake earlier to make sure the car was settled before turning in. AutoBlip helped make me more fluid and allowed more time at full throttle and braking later. If I mastered heel toe I imagine there would be minimal difference with or without AutoBlip.

Let me know what you think.

C5Z06CE

Last edited by C5Z06CE; 11-16-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:55 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems that with all the exceptions needing to do this that or the other thing - brake timing vs clutch and so on that it would be a heck of allot easier to just heel/toe like you should be doing.

Interesting also is that in the video, even with the experienced operator, there are numerous mistakes ......

A catchy fun project but ..........
Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Originally Posted by rbl
Seems that with all the exceptions needing to do this that or the other thing - brake timing vs clutch and so on that it would be a heck of allot easier to just heel/toe like you should be doing.

Interesting also is that in the video, even with the experienced operator, there are numerous mistakes ......

A catchy fun project but ..........
As with everything there is a small learning curve. The timing thing is not really much different than normal shifting and timing clutch release. On the track is where I think this product really shines. Even though I showed using it in everyday driving I usually keep it off since its not needed in stop and go traffic. It's not for everyone but for me it's worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To FIRST EVER Throttle Auto-Blip in C5Z utilizing STOCK ECU - Review

Old 11-17-2013, 11:03 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all your hard work. This is a worth while feature and is becoming common place in many sports cars.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Originally Posted by 2002rich
Thanks for all your hard work. This is a worth while feature and is becoming common place in many sports cars.
Thanks. I really think this product shines at the track which is why I bought it. It really helped make me smoother and as we all know smooth is fast.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

Every instructor i've had told me to learn heel and toe on the street and not at the track. So how does a newbie learn to heel and toe the used race car he got such a good deal on when it is not street legal?

Quick Reply: FIRST EVER Throttle Auto-Blip in C5Z utilizing STOCK ECU - Review