Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIRST EVER Throttle Auto-Blip in C5Z utilizing STOCK ECU - Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:16 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
While I m not backpedaling on my statement about learning the basics properly first, I will clarify that I was not bashing the product. If you are an advanced driver who wants to utilize this product, I have no problem with it. If you have a physical impediment that makes it impossible or even difficult (size 15 shoe) then I don't have a problem with it either. The problem I have is the person who says "I want to drive faster without learning to heel/ toe"....and for the record- those aren't my rules, those are the rules instructors are supposed to use to evaluate students. I recently had a student in a 600HP car at Lime Rock. He didn't know how to heel toe (nor did he even attempt it claiming he didn't wear the right shoes). He insisted he wanted to be signed off to solo. Did he drive smoothly? Yes to a degree but it was by leaving the car in 4th gear so he didn't have to deal with the ridiculous amount of torque steer that he was generating on his downshifts. Answer me this one question and I will change my position. What are you going to when your little black box ***** the bed halfway down the front straight? If you know how to heel toe- you have no problem. There are no time out's on a race track and no reset button.
Come on HiVolts,... I NEVER said I was planning to rely on this blackbox to NOT learn how to heel toe. Nor did I ever ask to be solo at my stage of the game. As an instructor you of all people should know that there are people involved in this sport at all levels of driver skill and walks of life. I bought this car specifically to LEARN to be a better driver in all aspects and that includes heel toe. I am 110% confident I will have it mastered by the time I am able to potentially solo

As faras what I would so if it takes a dump. ..brake, clutch in rev match as best as possible and turn. If it upsets my line then I look for a safe place to go off track. Really that question could be applied to brakes, clutch, oil pressure. What would you do if you had those go bad on you? Same thing or something similar. These are all things I try to prepare for but truthfully you can never really be prepared for it.

Again, I am not here saying this is now eliminating my need to heel toe. In fact I have been practicing it more since I got the AutoBlip. Its not for everyone, but I like it.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

In this thread you've made reference to almost spinning a car because of the inability to properly heel toe, you've made reference to increasing your "lap times" with this product and then you've discussed how you will eventually learn how to heel toe before you solo. Here's one last thought. If you still require an instructor in the car with you, you have no business even THINKING about lap times. If you find an instructor who will sign you off to solo by using your little black box as opposed to actually demonstrating the ability to heel/toe...let me know so I make sure I never get involved with that club or group.

I've made my point clear here and won't waste anymore time on this.

Since I have not evaluated your device- I'm not going to give an opinion on it. It is a worthy product and I'm sure has a market but again- not at an HPDE event as a crutch for lack of skills.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 AM
VOoDOoGTX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
In this thread you've made reference to almost spinning a car because of the inability to properly heel toe, you've made reference to increasing your "lap times" with this product and then you've discussed how you will eventually learn how to heel toe before you solo. Here's one last thought. If you still require an instructor in the car with you, you have no business even THINKING about lap times. If you find an instructor who will sign you off to solo by using your little black box as opposed to actually demonstrating the ability to heel/toe...let me know so I make sure I never get involved with that club or group.

I've made my point clear here and won't waste anymore time on this.

Since I have not evaluated your device- I'm not going to give an opinion on it. It is a worthy product and I'm sure has a market but again- not at an HPDE event as a crutch for lack of skills.
Not bashing the product, Just OP's reason for using it.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:44 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

I dont wish to argue anymore. Your mind and my minds are made up. However, you should remember that most people dont take instruction at a HPDE already having mastered heel toe. I am there to learn and plan on attending other driving schools like Skip Barber for example. By the time I have more seat time and ready for solo I will be proficient. This is no crutch for me despite what you may want to believe.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Come on fellas, this is the real forum, not off topic or c5 gen. Lol. We are all here for the same reason
Old 11-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Come on fellas, this is the real forum, not off topic or c5 gen. Lol. We are all here for the same reason
...to bicker?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Originally Posted by Olitho
...to bicker?
I started the thread to present info/review about a new product I find useful. Not to argue.

I would STILL like to master heel toe but my blips are sometimes spot on and others not so much. People think somehow you are less of a driver if the car has an auto blip. What they fail to realize is that this is becoming the STANDARD in cars frequently tracked and that the guys tracking cars and motorcycles that do not have this feature are looking for it as an aftermarket item because it saves transmission wear, is safer if you have not mastered heel toe, is faster, and more accurate on the blip than a human heel/side of foot.

We all see that some of the most frequently tracked cars include Corvettes, Porsche 911 Carreras, Caymans, & GT3s, BMW M3 & M5, Ferrari, Audi RS6 & R8, Nissan 370Z. EVERY one of them are featuring automatic throttle blip on the 2013 or 2014 models. YES EVEN THE GT3....which most would consider the closest you can get to a street legal race car. In fact on the Porsches you can not even turn off the feature.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Z06CE
I started the thread to present info/review about a new product I find useful. Not to argue.

I would STILL like to master heel toe but my blips are sometimes spot on and others not so much. People think somehow you are less of a driver if the car has an auto blip. What they fail to realize is that this is becoming the STANDARD in cars frequently tracked and that the guys tracking cars and motorcycles that do not have this feature are looking for it as an aftermarket item because it saves transmission wear, is safer if you have not mastered heel toe, is faster, and more accurate on the blip than a human heel/side of foot.

We all see that some of the most frequently tracked cars include Corvettes, Porsche 911 Carreras, Caymans, & GT3s, BMW M3 & M5, Ferrari, Audi RS6 & R8, Nissan 370Z. EVERY one of them are featuring automatic throttle blip on the 2013 or 2014 models. YES EVEN THE GT3....which most would consider the closest you can get to a street legal race car. In fact on the Porsches you can not even turn off the feature.

Even my 2012 Camry SE blips the throttle for ya :-) I Personally am very good at heal toe but would be interested in this for consistency and think its kinda cool .....
Old 11-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I still struggle with consistently well executed downshifts. I constantly make shifts that I think are bad. I keep trying to improve my H&T skills. The stresses to do it just right while at threshold braking make tough to master. I will wager most of us are not really that good at it when measured against the rev matching and traction circles maintained by the most talented racers.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:56 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It's HEEL and TOE! Not Heal and tow or whatever....

If you take away all the skill in driving fast, what is the point. My electric nannies are better than yours? F1 would be a lot more interesting if they were actually shifting and someone would blow an up shift or down shift and lose a position. Just another opinion.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:06 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I still struggle with consistently well executed downshifts. I constantly make shifts that I think are bad. I keep trying to improve my H&T skills. The stresses to do it just right while at threshold braking make tough to master. I will wager most of us are not really that good at it when measured against the rev matching and traction circles maintained by the most talented racers.
I concur, everyone messes it up from time to time. If you are doing it smoothly and effortlessly every time, you are probably driving slow. So much for all that skill. It's a tough task to get the RPM's right while threshold breaking and making a smooth transition off the brake into corner entry.

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
It's HEEL and TOE! Not Heal and tow or whatever....

If you take away all the skill in driving fast, what is the point. My electric nannies are better than yours? F1 would be a lot more interesting if they were actually shifting and someone would blow an up shift or down shift and lose a position. Just another opinion.
Agreed, racing is becoming less about the drivers and more about how many aids can be added to the car, so you can almost plug anyone in there. That's lame.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

People are still shifting here. Which is already making its way to the graveyard. But I bet 100$ if a holinger sequential was affordable, you all couldn't throw away your manuals fast enough
Old 10-23-2014, 01:07 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Blast from the past.

Very interested in this product! Do you have a better video showing (and hearing) the auto blip? The go pro video was all wind noise.

Thanks!

Jeremy Foley
Old 10-24-2014, 07:09 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

JMHO, but this appears to me to be a classic argument between someone who thinks we should all be committed to perfection ... and those of us who just want to have some fun.

In truth, there is plenty of room on track for everyone.

BTW, I am a veteran instructor, and heel / toe shifting is way down the list of priorities. Being safe, getting the line and having fun are much more important for instructed students.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:24 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old thread, but how do these things hold up to regular track duty? Have a buddy who has an old ankle injury that is hampering him from turning his foot enough to properly heel/toe. We put a wider pedal in the car but if that doesn't help, this could be the solution.

Before anyone even starts, I could care less what you think about learning a proper heel/toe.

Quick Reply: FIRST EVER Throttle Auto-Blip in C5Z utilizing STOCK ECU - Review