Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cornering and braking G question??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Cornering and braking G question??

How many g's will a C6 Z06 handle for cornering and braking using R6's or similar tires ?

Thanks,

Charley
Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't have an answer Charley, if stock is 1G, I'd bet it's a couple tenths.

But, to make your eyes cross, the G meter on one car at Austin yesterday read 4.1 in one corner and 4.8 on initial braking.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

1.5 +/- 1.5 depending on surface, temperature, suspension loading, track camber/banking, alignment, tire pressure, heat cycles ...
Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill32
I don't have an answer Charley, if stock is 1G, I'd bet it's a couple tenths.

But, to make your eyes cross, the G meter on one car at Austin yesterday read 4.1 in one corner and 4.8 on initial braking.
Yes F1 cars are amazing. A friend of mine owns Schumacher's 2001 World Championship winning car and the way he explains the G's that car can handle is unbelievable! He said the car brakes so hard that your eyes feel like they are going to pop out. . I have been in that car and Unfortunatly 6' is too tall to fit in an F1 car (at least a Schumacher car).

The reason I am asking this is because I am VERY close to closing a deal on a Radical SR3 and I am doing a last minute evaluation to see if a Corvette solution is a reasonable alternative. The Radical corners at 2.5 G and brakes at 2 G.

By the way I plan to keep my current Corvette convertible, but want a dedicated track car with greater safety.

Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 11-17-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Yes F1 cars are amazing. A friend of mine owns Schumacher's 2001 World Championship winning car and the way he explains the G's that car can handle is unbelievable! He said the car brakes so hard that your eyes feel like they are going to pop out. . I have been in that car and Unfortunatly 6' is too tall to fit in an F1 car (at least a Schumacher car).

The reason I am asking this is because I am VERY close to closing a deal on a Radical SR3 and I am doing a last minute evaluation to see if a Corvette solution is a reasonable alternative. The Radical corners at 2.5 G and brakes at 2 G.

By the way I plan to keep my current Corvette convertible, but want a dedicated track car with greater safety.

Charley
Understand the evaluation, I think safety is a major point. I've been in a couple C5Z's on RA's, they do corner nice. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1.5 G mentioned is correct.

The Radical's a Whoot much faster in the corners and easier to work on. I'd say the upkeep is about equal, the Radical trans vs the maintenance on a Corvette that's driven hard.

A couple months ago, I finished up a Formula Atlantic build for a 6 ft., 200 lb driver. Most of the open wheel cars have enough room to accommodate a tall driver but you have to do a lot of work. Figure 6-8 hours to fit the driver in the car.
I've also driven the car 3 times, it rocks.

Either way, upgrading the Corvette or buying the Radical will be a win-win for you.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

At the NARRA/Radical Cup event at Road Atlanta in April, the SR8 pole time was about 2 sec off the Grand AM DP Pole time, and the SR3 pole time was faster than 99.9% of DE/club racing Corvettes would ever go at Road Atlanta.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
1.5 +/- 1.5 depending on surface, temperature, suspension loading, track camber/banking, alignment, tire pressure, heat cycles ...
I agree. And about 1.7ish for A6s.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
At the NARRA/Radical Cup event at Road Atlanta in April, the SR8 pole time was about 2 sec off the Grand AM DP Pole time, and the SR3 pole time was faster than 99.9% of DE/club racing Corvettes would ever go at Road Atlanta.
The SR8s are amazing bits of kit! And pretty reasonable as well when you take into account the performance they have.

OP what radical are you looking at? SR3, SR8 or pro sport?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:52 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I wonder how accurate our G meters are?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chuntington101
The SR8s are amazing bits of kit! And pretty reasonable as well when you take into account the performance they have.

OP what radical are you looking at? SR3, SR8 or pro sport?
I am looking at the SR3. The SR8s are really nice, but are a Lon more money to buy and maintain.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

I am looking at the SR3. The SR8s are really nice, but are a Lon more money to buy and maintain.
Agreed there! Esp when the SR3s can be made to make a lot of power if you know the right people!

There are a few turbo SR3s in the UK and a few supercharged ones to. All these seems to be using the Hayabusa engine i think.

Chris.

EDIT have you seen the Radical RXC? looks like a fantastic bit of kit!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I wonder how accurate our G meters are?
Good question. I would assume the g meters on most data systems would be reasonably accurate.... Or at least close enough for comparison.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

A corvette vs radical is an unfair comparison in terms of straight up performance.
You are going to face more engine and trans work on the radical (shorter rebuild intervals), and I doubt that replacement body parts/splitters are cheap. But, the brakes will last forever and tires will be cheaper.
Corvette makes sense for TT/W2W due to classing structures, unless you have a faster radical and can duke it out in SU. Or make the one-make radical races.
Radical makes a lot of sense if you have the $ for DE in terms of fun factor, just be ultra careful since the cars are tiny and at least 1/2 the weight of everything else.

On a C5 with 275 A6s and no aero, as measured by a high end datalogging system, I could sustain G's (on a good turn) in the 1.4 area, with peaks to 1.6 or so. With aero and fat tires, numbers will go up in proportion to the decrease in your bank account.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:44 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My numbers parallell Ben's. Stock C6 Z51 on A6's will see repeate 1.4 - 1.6 g's of lateral accelleration. Braking g's are much less, peaking at 0.97g. I have seen peaks over 2.1 g on banked corners or turns where the car is loaded heavily due to elevation.

This is data taken with a Racelogic Vbox, a standard data acquisiion system in the industry.

If you want to see a graph I can make a file...
Old 11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
My numbers parallell Ben's. Stock C6 Z51 on A6's will see repeate 1.4 - 1.6 g's of lateral accelleration. Braking g's are much less, peaking at 0.97g. I have seen peaks over 2.1 g on banked corners or turns where the car is loaded heavily due to elevation.

This is data taken with a Racelogic Vbox, a standard data acquisiion system in the industry.

If you want to see a graph I can make a file...
The C4's outa commission??
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
The C4's outa commission??
No, not until the Phoenix car is up and running in April I have data on the C4 as well but it's not a street car; it's lighter, stiffer suspension, etc. It sees slightly higher lateral forces, in the 1.6 - 1.7 g range.

Surprisingly though, if you overlay the data of the C4 vs C6 it is remarkably similar except the C4 goes 10 mph faster on the straights which equals about 2 seconds per lap (same NASA class).
Old 11-18-2013, 06:19 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question. I would assume the g meters on most data systems would be reasonably accurate.... Or at least close enough for comparison.
The sensors are pretty accurate, but there is no standard way to interpret the data. I use a function within the analysis software to look at 98% of max. That gives me 1.35 on new ish A6's. Peak's will around 1.5 G. The 98% of is pretty close to what you could get sustained on a large skid pad.

About the car, get the Radical! A corvette will never match the potential of a full out race car. The power to weight and down force of a race car is hard to beat.

Did you see this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=131045545820

Get notified of new replies

To Cornering and braking G question??

Old 11-19-2013, 02:35 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

That's a nice pro sport!

OP, are you planing on racing or just tracking the car? If the latter the. I don't think you will beat the radical! Not sure if they are avaliable in the US but have you seen the JUNO cars? They do one with a Honda k20 engine and hewland gearbox that gives similar levels of performance as the SR3s but will lower engine costs (I think). They also do a v6 version that is imense! Lol
Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Not sure if they are avaliable in the US but have you seen the JUNO cars? They do one with a Honda k20 engine and hewland gearbox that gives similar levels of performance as the SR3s
Nice car. Personally, I'd take a Hewland FTR over a bike transmission all day long. Much more reliable.

But I do like Radicals. I don't think you'll find a Juno for the pricing of a radical though. Same thing for Lee Stohr's cars too.

Juno USA has dealers and engine rebuilders here.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by autoxer6
The sensors are pretty accurate, but there is no standard way to interpret the data. I use a function within the analysis software to look at 98% of max. That gives me 1.35 on new ish A6's. Peak's will around 1.5 G. The 98% of is pretty close to what you could get sustained on a large skid pad.

You can kid yourself looking at peaks, that's really just the instrumentation. You need to look at what you are seeing with filtered data and an A6 on a good surface is closer to 1.35, and that is on a flat corner. If there is any banking effect things can get a lot higher and on most road courses the corners are seldom perfectly flat or off camber, there's usually a bit of crown to keep the water from puddling and this can give you a boost in G's near the apex that isn't real.

Quick Reply: Cornering and braking G question??