Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:18 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default VIR Improvements

I'm guessing you Southeast guys are aware of this :

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...nts-under-way/
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The improvements were required by some of the big name sanctioning bodies before they would hold events there. I will not miss the pea gravel in the paddock. Every time I ran VIR, I brought about a half bucket of that mess home with me on the tires and in the car.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Why only the north paddock??? Are they planning on doing the rest of the paddock at some point?? Does anyone know?? JD
Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Why only the north paddock??? Are they planning on doing the rest of the paddock at some point?? Does anyone know?? JD
I was just there, and they are paving the entire north paddock (the main paddock). The south paddock is already paved, and I believe the Patriot Course paddock is paved as well.

What other area are you expecting to be paved?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Maybe I did not understand. The pictures show the area in front of the garages. Is the entire pit area paved?? All the way down to the classroom and in front of the race store and the bathrooms?? Thanks for the input. JD
Old 11-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Is the entire pit area paved?? All the way down to the classroom and in front of the race store and the bathrooms?? Thanks for the input. JD
Yes, the entire area is being paved
Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Yes, the entire area is being paved
Thanks!! That will be great!! Sick of the stones and dust. JD
Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

It will be VERY nice not to have to spend 1/2 a lap cleaning tires and then 1/2 a day cleaning out the trailer afterwards....
Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I think anybody and everybody who has ever been there will give a big HELL YEA to finally paving the North Paddock. When I was just there, I considered getting a few boxes full of the old gravel. Whenever I was feeling nostalgic I could just go dump a box in the trailer, the truck, the toolbox... the washing machine.

With that said, I am really not sure about some of the spots they are widening the track...

The way I see it, pretty much everything we know about the front half of VIR is now out the window. T1, I have no issue with although I'm not really sure how widening to the outside will affect the line. With more pavement and braking room, it might be interesting.

2-3-4-5 scares me. I really hope that they don't kill the technical nature of that section and turn it into gas and go. That is a part of track where driver and car setup are huge. It is really fun and rewarding to get gains through there because it is being done with something other than power.

I really don't understand widening the lower esses. There was already more than sufficient room to pass there. Widening to track right seems like it will essentially straighten the upper esses as well if you can take a different angle on entry. If they screw up what is 1 of the best sections of track you will ever find... well.

Widening South Bend exit all the way through oak tree? I'll just have to see that. It seems to me that it will increase speed through that entire section drastically... 6 feet at South Bend exit alone will be HUGE in terms of speed, especially for non aero cars.

I am really curious to see what all of this + new pavement in general does for lap times. Previously (at least in my eyes) anything sub 2:00 was a very exclusive club. I think membership may have just opened up to a LOT more cars.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 11-26-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks!! That will be great!! Sick of the stones and dust. JD
Old 11-26-2013, 01:19 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Matt,

You will have to come try it out next year! Scheduled to be finished in March.

Ed
Old 11-26-2013, 02:14 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I think anybody and everybody who has ever been there will give a big HELL YEA to finally paving the North Paddock. When I was just there, I considered getting a few boxes full of the old gravel. Whenever I was feeling nostalgic I could just go dump a box in the trailer, the truck, the toolbox... the washing machine.

With that said, I am really not sure about some of the spots they are widening the track...

The way I see it, pretty much everything we know about the front half of VIR is now out the window. T1, I have no issue with although I'm not really sure how widening to the outside will affect the line. With more pavement and braking room, it might be interesting.

2-3-4-5 scares me. I really hope that they don't kill the technical nature of that section and turn it into gas and go. That is a part of track where driver and car setup are huge. It is really fun and rewarding to get gains through there because it is being done with something other than power.

I really don't understand widening the lower esses. There was already more than sufficient room to pass there. Widening to track right seems like it will essentially straighten the upper esses as well if you can take a different angle on entry. If they screw up what is 1 of the best sections of track you will ever find... well.

Widening South Bend exit all the way through oak tree? I'll just have to see that. It seems to me that it will increase speed through that entire section drastically... 6 feet at South Bend exit alone will be HUGE in terms of speed, especially for non aero cars.

I am really curious to see what all of this + new pavement in general does for lap times. Previously (at least in my eyes) anything sub 2:00 was a very exclusive club. I think membership may have just opened up to a LOT more cars.
MAYBE they are adding large sections of painted pavement..less grip then regular pavement, better than grass?? Allows you to recover/save it more often and stay out of tire walls; at the same time keeps the original line which as you point out is darn near perfect. I have no idea I'm just speculating.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

"When I was just there, I considered getting a few boxes full of the old gravel. Whenever I was feeling nostalgic I could just go dump a box in the trailer, the truck, the toolbox... the washing machine."

If you look hard, you can still find a few boxes in those places!!! LOL!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:20 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

IMO, the sections they are widening will make the track flow better. I doubt many will care once their apex speeds increase by several MPH. It will be like the old VIR except in fast forward, and more smooth. South bend in a fast car will probably be in the 105-110 range. That's very exciting!

And it will allow more room for passing for the pro groups. I'm imagining something more F1 like, but in the shape of VIR.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:13 PM
WKNRACR
Heel & Toe

Yea paddock will be nice except when that black asphalt is 140 degrees
in July!! Dosen`t look like they added more hook ups.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:38 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNRACR
Yea paddock will be nice except when that black asphalt is 140 degrees
in July!! Dosen`t look like they added more hook ups.

It was blazing hot in late June this year and as nice as not having the gravel in everything will be - I dread how hot that asphalt is going to be during the summer.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
IMO, the sections they are widening will make the track flow better. I doubt many will care once their apex speeds increase by several MPH. It will be like the old VIR except in fast forward, and more smooth. South bend in a fast car will probably be in the 105-110 range. That's very exciting!

And it will allow more room for passing for the pro groups. I'm imagining something more F1 like, but in the shape of VIR.
It will be faster than that in a fast car. I'm running a stock Z06 and doing faster than that now by a small amount. I'm entering the esses at 130 and coming up to south bend at 120, slight brake and over the top. I expect my SB speeds are in the 110 range now. That is with slicks and side skirts. Its amazing how much the skirts really helped

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Improvements

Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I doubt you are taking south bend over 100 mph oem. Highly doubt it. You have data?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I doubt you are taking south bend over 100 mph oem. Highly doubt it. You have data?
Doesn't everyone check their gauges and glance at the speedo right at the apex of Southbend?
Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tried that. All they said were "Oh Sh*t!" Wait, that was me.

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Doesn't everyone check their gauges and glance at the speedo right at the apex of Southbend?

Quick Reply: VIR Improvements