Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TALL driver seat options

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Default TALL driver seat options

I know this has been covered but you're all midgets compared to me!
I'm 6'5" and seated I'm 29" from butt to shoulder. I think the Sparco EVOII fits me with the harness openings but even with the seat on the floor my head hits the B pillar with my helmet on. I test fit with these http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/bimarc.../prod_796.html ) . If I lean most 1piece seats back far enough to clear the roof my knees hit the steering wheel! The Sparco seems to have low sides on the seat part so I can spread my knees out away from the wheel. Can anyone with the Sparco EVOII confirm this?
I just heard the glass roof lends to some extra headroom. Anyone have experience with this? I'm wondering if I could keep the seat more upright if I had a glass top.
Not fitting in a 2 seat car is very frustrating. Are there any TALL (6'4"+) guys out there with seats/harness
Old 12-03-2013, 02:58 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Kirkey seats mounted on the floor.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by the blur
No personal experience but I've heard of good results with the Kirkeys.

Another couple of basic things - remove the headliner and remove the seat bottom cushions. For the typical HPDE sessions length I don't find driving with my butt on the seat bottom uncomfortable. If you were going to run 1 hour races you'd probably have some issues. I'm 6'1" with the same inseam as my 5'5" wife so I run into headroom issues as well.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Drifting

I was hoping for something I could leave in and do some occasional street miles with. Im not super thrilled about taking the cushions out for helmet height. Anyone have a glass roof to measure against a standard one?
Not many seats have the proper shoulder harness height. The Bimarco Futura and Sparco EVOII do, but the Bimarco has high thigh bolsters I'm hoping the Sparco would be better in that area.
How much height advantage would a Kirkey give over a Sparco type seat?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

6'4" 260 here. Custom fit Ultrashield (or Kirkey) on Hardbar seat rails is the only way to go.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:37 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I feel your pain.... at time of sale, I pulled the Sparco Corsa out of my Porsche, with the expectation that I could make it work in my C5Z.

On Hardbar seat rails, my 6'5" frame has the same issues you have, tilt the seat back far enough to keep my helmeted head off the headliner and my knees are bent enough to have them into the steering wheel.

I've heard that the Kirkey and Butler seats are on option but haven't sat in a C5 or C6 equipped with one yet to actually confirm it. Hopefully you'll get more replies here so we can build a database of what people are using.

I'm prepared to make custom floor mounts, pull the headliner for clearance, and not concerned with street driving inconvenience, since my car is far from a daily driver.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

2003-2004 Z06s have a headliner that extends down more. Swapping to the '01'02 headliner will create more headroom.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:03 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
2003-2004 Z06s have a headliner that extends down more. Swapping to the '01'02 headliner will create more headroom.
One of the reasons I bought an 02. I sat in the later cars and there is an obvious difference of nearly an inch. I'm prepared to pull the headliner if needed to gain enough clearance to reduce steering wheel-knee interference.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:42 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are you located and how did you measure butt to shoulder?

If you are close to Richmond, VA, I have the Sparco Evo II Plus seats installed in my C6Z w/ custom brackets from Piper. I'm 6'-3", 225 lbs, 32" inseam, 38" waist. I'm good with headroom but not so good with the B pillar. That's a problem you will have with all seats that are not "full constraint" seats.

I also have a C6Z race car with a Cobra Evolution seat mounted w/ the Hardbar seat bracket. This car has a full cage and to be able to be comfortable and safe, I routed out the fiberglass and balsa wood under the bracket and removed the seat padding.

If you want more info, PM me with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Jim
Old 12-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Where are you located and how did you measure butt to shoulder?

If you are close to Richmond, VA, I have the Sparco Evo II Plus seats installed in my C6Z w/ custom brackets from Piper. I'm 6'-3", 225 lbs, 32" inseam, 38" waist. I'm good with headroom but not so good with the B pillar. That's a problem you will have with all seats that are not "full constraint" seats.

I also have a C6Z race car with a Cobra Evolution seat mounted w/ the Hardbar seat bracket. This car has a full cage and to be able to be comfortable and safe, I routed out the fiberglass and balsa wood under the bracket and removed the seat padding.

If you want more info, PM me with your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Jim
PM sent
Aren't you worried about hitting a squirrel etc with the seat below the floor? These cars are low and Id be worried if my **** was the lowest point.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:29 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Clear roof does gain you almost an inch of headroom. It was the first mod I did the second day I owned the car.

6'5 crew here. 34" inseam

I'm still using the stock seat with the bottom springs disconnected in my 11gs since I haven't found a good option yet...

Although I met a guy at an autocross that fabbed up a roof panel with a "hump" for helmet clearance was running an evo 3 seat
Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Pics

Old 12-04-2013, 10:39 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

A "Gurney bubble" on a 'vette!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by 383
PM sent
Aren't you worried about hitting a squirrel etc with the seat below the floor? These cars are low and Id be worried if my **** was the lowest point.
No worries, my splitter scoops up small animals and grass clippings and stores them in the radiator.

Actually, the floor pan is a CF/balsa wood/CF laminate. The rear mount for the seat brackets is a metal piece under the floor pan that's part of the frame. What I did was cut out the top layer of CF and the balsa wood and left the lower layer of CF. FYI, this is a lot of work in a caged car and only gains you about 1/4-inch. As I said earlier, I also removed the padding on the seat cushion. That was good for about 1-inch. No headliner in this car either.

Jim
Old 12-05-2013, 04:08 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Pics

That's just dumb... a worthless rollbar about 4" below the OEM b-pillar bar and then a bubble a few inches up over.

You can trim about 1/2" out of the floor pans on these cars as the metal braces do the real support work.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Thanks for all the replies guys!
I think Ill be looking for a glass roof to start
Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To TALL driver seat options

Old 12-06-2013, 12:53 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by travisnd
That's just dumb... a worthless rollbar about 4" below the OEM b-pillar bar and then a bubble a few inches up over.

You can trim about 1/2" out of the floor pans on these cars as the metal braces do the real support work.

Interesting data point. What did you use to dig the floor out like that?
Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Interesting data point. What did you use to dig the floor out like that?
I used a cheap electric cutting tool from Harbor Freight to cut the CF and balsa wood then a wood chisel and hammer to seperate the wood from the lower CF material. I got the cutting wheels from Sears.

Jim
Old 12-06-2013, 04:32 PM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
I'm still using the stock seat with the bottom springs disconnected in my 11gs since I haven't found a good option yet...
How does one go about disconnecting the bottom springs?

Quick Reply: TALL driver seat options