Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears or Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 AM
masti04
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Gears or Suspension

Hey guys,

I have an 01Z and do about 5-7 HPDE's a year (have done about 25 or so over the years). The car is great, but I'm looking to make a few upgrades. I've done the basics so far (headers/tune, R888's, brake pads/fluid/ducts), but I'm looking for a bit more at this point.

I'm torn between doing the JOC stage 1 suspension upgrade, or doing a 3.73 gear swap. My 1st gear syncros need to be replaced so I'm having the transmission rebuilt within the next month or so, so the rear-end will be out of the car anyway. I figured this would be a good time to do the gears.

The problem is, I don't have money for both the gears and suspension upgrades at this time so I just wanted to see if others thought the 3.73's were worth it, or if doing the suspension upgrade and leaving the 3.42's in the rear was a better option? The car makes 379whp/374wtq so it's no slouch, but if I don't do the gears now, I probably never will.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would add poly or delrin bushings, camber plates, slightly stiffer sway bars and switch to stickier tires. And an alignment and cornerweight.
The gear swap is low on the $/mph scale and may be in the negative region on many tracks.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If getting your trans rebuilt, get them to build/put in an M6 (base C5 box) vs your Z06 M12. Keep your 3.42, it'll be cheaper and faster than an M12 with a 3.73
Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I have tried 3.73 with m12 and m6 along with 3.42 with both transmissions and by far prefer the 3.42 with the m6 but I think the best combo would be 3.42 with a custom geared modified m6. RPM can build you a much better transmission but it will cost. When anyone does your transmission have them install the internal cooling pump.

Seat time will always be the most valuable item that most of us need. A good instructor can make a world of difference on how your care feels on the track. I had a GT3 driver at a Barber HPDE that was going to spend tons of money on his perfect car but after the first day he was very happy with the car just because of seat time. I am not Mr. great and wonderful instructor but it was easy to see his problems and offer some simple suggestions that he tried with excellent results. I also use traqmate and showed him how different driving styles changed the car feel and driver comfort. Seat time, data and the willingness to listen to others are simple and inexpensive tools that you can use. Remember that the goal is to have fun and not get hurt.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Leave the rear gears stock. The lower ratio will not give you much of anything on a road course. Suspension on the other hand will take the car to another level all together. IMHO go with a good set of coilovers such as the Lg GT2 or the Pfadt units. Add poly bushings, a set of stiffer sway bars, corner weight and alignment. You will have an entirely different car with MUCH higher levels of cornering power than before. 9 times out of 10 a car with full suspension mods can turn better laptimes than a high HP car with no mods. All the mods may take the project beyond your current budget, but they can be planned in stages for best benefit.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:32 PM
masti04
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I apprecite the input. Looks like I'll be doing suspension upgrades.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by masti04
I apprecite the input. Looks like I'll be doing suspension upgrades.
That is the best choice along with seat time with an instructor. Smooth is fast. You will learn corner entry and exit will chop seconds off of your lap times

Also, I have the 3:73 in my car and I will shift into 5th on many occasions so consider if you want to make an extra shift as opposed to a little extra digging out of corners

Last edited by Joy of 6; 12-30-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rebuild your torque tube while it's out.

Get notified of new replies

To Gears or Suspension

Quick Reply: Gears or Suspension