Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best place for tranny/diff coolers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best place for tranny/diff coolers?

Alright, so I'm in the final stages of putting together tranny and diff coolers... and I've been thinking. Where do I put the actual cooler? There are LOTS of kits that put them in the z06 rear brake ducts (which I dont have) and I got to thinking, that has got to be a PITA spot to put them when changing the fluids (is it)? I'd also need to buy and cut those ducts into my car that would only serve to duct warm air into the wheel well.

So I was thinking about mounting them to the rear bumper beam (on either side of the exhaust where the little bumper vents are) and letting the air from under the car pass through them. Besides the chances of a stone from the tires this seems like a "safe" place for them. I know some people have cut out the rear license place frames and have elaborate ducting, but I'm thinking this is a little more fabrication than I want (for what may not be better air flow).

So Corvette forums, what say you?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ross, I am a firm believer in "don't reinvent the wheel" if you can help it. Here is a thread I did about installing the DRM cooler kit. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ful-hints.html This location works, it is a high pressure area with lots of airflow. Evey if you had to purchase and install the side ducts, you would be in for a LOT LESS work than locating in the rear of the car.
There was another post on rear location of coolers about a year ago and problems the poster had getting adequate air flow through the cooler. I don't have a link, but a search should find it.
Draining the fluids works like any tranny / diff drain. Just take off the fitting in the normal location to drain / fill.

Quick Reply: best place for tranny/diff coolers?