Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for racers

Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question for racers

Getting ready to move from TT2 to ST2 for 2014. Have only used Hoosier A6's in TT, do I stay with the A6's or move to R6's ? I realize that in TT I would only run about 3 laps then come in as at that point I had caught the tailend of the field so I have no idea as to how well the A6 will do on an extended run . Will the A6 hold up for the full 30 -45 min race?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:14 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would move to R6 or a different tire personally. A6's as you know are designed to heat up very quickly... racing on them might not be the best idea. I don't know I haven't ever used A6's just R6"s and I know run on Pirelli WC slicks.. worst thing you can do is try it and see what happens with your driving style.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

John,

For the most part everyone runs A's and doesn't look back, we've tried R6's a few times and we always go back to A6's. Some people have tried the BFGoodrich R1S, others try slicks. But the majority of guys run A6's.
The only time that R6's are really going to help is when it's really hot out, you can run more consistent from start to finish, but who cares if the other cars are too far ahead to catch!
We like them because the grip is there right away, the start of the race gets pretty hairy and we want to have as much grip as we can at the start. Just my opinion.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
do I stay with the A6's or move to R6's ? Will the A6 hold up for the full 30 -45 min race?
John,

If you're not endurance racing, stay with the A6s.

I never had a problem with the A6s going away in a 30-40 minute race -- but remember -- you have to manage consumables in a race as you can overdrive any brake or tire setup.

Mike
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Good question and I put it to the test this weekend at the SCCA Majors T1 race. I decided to try R6's in a 30 minute sprint race against other T1 cars on sticker A6's. I started pole and kept the lead for most of the race on the R's. I overshot a brake zone and Jim passed me for the lead. I hung right behind him the rest of the race. The temp was around 80F so it was warm but not hot. I would say stick with A6's unless ambient temps are over 90F then you might have better luck with R6's in a longer race. So in general, I agree A6's will out perform the R6's but it's not as night/day as some people make it sound. I think you can drive harder with the R6's and not overcook them as easily as the A's. I also wonder if there's a temperature or pressure where the R6's lose some grip and then regain grip as they get hotter? Would need some testing to determine.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM
fcarga
Instructor

A6 is great for regular 30-45 minutes races at temps under 90* +/- depending on humidity, which I am sure, plays a role as will the tire pressures you use. The R6 will probably last longer but that will also depend on driving style etc. As previously said, I don't think you'll go wrong using the A6--just realize that they will not last as many cycles as the R6.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Hoosier sent me Rs as contingency winnings once. I never noticed until I was at Road Atlanta putting the wheels/tires on the car. I was 2 seconds a lap slower on sticker Rs than on 12 heat cycle A6s. I have no use for Rs.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:38 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Good question and I put it to the test this weekend at the SCCA Majors T1 race. I decided to try R6's in a 30 minute sprint race against other T1 cars on sticker A6's. I started pole and kept the lead for most of the race on the R's. I overshot a brake zone and Jim passed me for the lead. I hung right behind him the rest of the race. The temp was around 80F so it was warm but not hot. I would say stick with A6's unless ambient temps are over 90F then you might have better luck with R6's in a longer race. So in general, I agree A6's will out perform the R6's but it's not as night/day as some people make it sound. I think you can drive harder with the R6's and not overcook them as easily as the A's. I also wonder if there's a temperature or pressure where the R6's lose some grip and then regain grip as they get hotter? Would need some testing to determine.
Yup, the R's are considerably slower. Bill got me into turn 3 on lap 1, so I was stuck behind him on my sticker A6s. I thought all was lost after a few laps of unsuccessfully passing him. I made a conscious decision to drive under control and be smooth, save the tires for the end. Point being, I was driving about 9.5/10's, and not only keeping up with Bill, but being held up in the corners.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW....thanks for all the great feedback. I was hoping that the A6's would be the tire as I have a lot of data on the tire for short sessions. Since this will be my "rookie" year in WTW I dont think I will be trying to drive at 10/10ths. I need to be cautious and learn how the other drivers attack the course and they need to get comfortable with me this first year. I am sure it will be a major learning experience for me.

Looks like I need to start stocking up on some A6's and get ready for some fun.

Looks like Mid-Ohio comp school in April for me !!!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Buy and have them mounted at the track. You don't need "new" tires that are ageing

Get notified of new replies

To Question for racers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for racers