Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run exhaust turn-downs ahead of the rear cradle? Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone run exhaust turn-downs ahead of the rear cradle? Issues?

This is on a full race car with coilovers so no leaf spring to blow hot exhaust on. Anyone do this? Was thinking about taking some old stock mufflers and cutting the flanges off and making turn-down pipes just ahead of the rear cradle. I assume the air flow at speed will pull the hot exhaust out from under the car? Or, should I just leave it be with tail pipes out the back?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 PM
zigspeed10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some have done this successfully. I plan to do this over the winter and wonder if it's necessary to still utilize the exhaust hanger or if the headers alone can hold the weight.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:12 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

That's how i had my mustang, but without turndowns. No issues besides black soot on the axle housings.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

it will be very loud!!!! I tried it on mine last summer sounded like a tractor!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would put a couple hangars in, that weight and the leverage could be bit much for the header bolts. No need to risk it.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My exhaust dumps straight down but after the diff (no mufflers or cats). There is a LOT of heat and I'm working to add mufflers and exit straight out the rear bumper just below the steel cross beam. All of this serves a few goals:
1. Quiet the car
2. Don't overheat the diff/trans (my current setup does not btw).
3. Do not exacerbate lift by blowing hot air under the car where it has time to cause lift
4. Make room for a future diffuser when funds allow.

On # 3 while my current exhaust blows straight down, the fact that it is aft of the diff leads me to believe any lift is negated by the airflow that far back that would pull the exhaust out. But again, any downforce I can gain I need to take so that is why the future plans are for out the rear.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't know any "big show" cars (F1, drag, alms, etc) that would allow a design that just dumps extremely hot exhaust gasses in the general path/area where a fuel or oil leak will migrate.

Not to be a worry wart, but I would not do on my car.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 PM
articwhitec6
Instructor

I built a rr Mustang a few years ago and did dumps. I am not a picky guy and love stuff loud. With that said let me say that the exhaust fumes will find their way in your car especially if you like driving with the windows down. The heat is excessive too. Remember all that gas is hard to get out from under the car with dumps. Their loud but who cares right? I also believe there could be some safety concerns.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:47 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

I ran 3" dumps for a few years on my ARH setup. With some hangars right before the tranny I never had a problem. I was running coilovers and the car was VERY loud. I had to wear earplugs whenever I drove the car.

I've recently put mufflers back on the car and am now having to put a tranny cooler on because of the heat the pipes create (over the tranny/diff).
Old 01-22-2014, 12:51 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

With the OEM configuration, the pipes are pretty ideally situated to start a fire in the event of a fuel leak at the filter/FPR. From personal experience, they will also pick up trans fluid coming out the trans vent and convert it to smoke.

I think the dumps will lessen the chance of a fuel fire and you will be in the same position (or slightly better, with the use of a deflect/heat shield above the pipes) regarding trans fluid.

Originally Posted by froggy47
I don't know any "big show" cars (F1, drag, alms, etc) that would allow a design that just dumps extremely hot exhaust gasses in the general path/area where a fuel or oil leak will migrate.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
This, I do it for simplicity on the race car. Dumped right at the rear bell housing. I put a aluminum shield to protect the bell/trans/diff. But it is DAMN LOUD in the car. And people tell me my car is one of the quietest from the pits!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:56 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
Did you have any mufflers on the car?

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I would put a couple hangars in, that weight and the leverage could be bit much for the header bolts. No need to risk it.
There's already the OEM hangars off of the rear of the torque tube that support the mid-pipe. A few inches of pipe off the end shouldn't require adding more support. The headers aren't supporting anything back there.

Originally Posted by JerryTX
4. Make room for a future diffuser when funds allow.
Every car I've seen with a diffuser has side exhaust through the frame rail or dumps just ahead of the cradle. You can't go out the back unless you cut up the tub and go out the license plate area (which I've seen on one car).

Originally Posted by froggy47

Thanks, but take a look under your car. You have the catback over axle pipes already in very close proximity to the fuel lines. I don't see any increased risk from dumps.... actually it'd probably decrease it.

Originally Posted by articwhitec6
the exhaust fumes will find their way in your car especially if you like driving with the windows down. The heat is excessive too. Remember all that gas is hard to get out from under the car with dumps.
This is a race car with no side windows at all, doors gutted. Won't be driving around in traffic or anything. When you say the heat is excessive can you elaborate? Excessive even when moving on track?

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
the car was VERY loud. I had to wear earplugs whenever I drove the car.
Any mufflers at all or dumped straight pipes?

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
This, I do it for simplicity on the race car. Dumped right at the rear bell housing. I put a aluminum shield to protect the bell/trans/diff. But it is DAMN LOUD in the car. And people tell me my car is one of the quietest from the pits!
I looked up the pictures of your exhaust on your build again... I see what you mean. You've got yours dumping straight down right at the end of the torque tube. I wonder if dumping them a little farther back by the cradle and angled at 45 degrees would make any difference.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Originally Posted by travisnd

Every car I've seen with a diffuser has side exhaust through the frame rail or dumps just ahead of the cradle. You can't go out the back unless you cut up the tub and go out the license plate area (which I've seen on one car).

:
If at anytime I see something that I can use in a future build or if I see something super sick I will save it. This set up is just that!

Forget the dumps and do this!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Yep... that's the car I was referring to. Neat way to get the exhaust out the back while allowing for a diffuser.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

If the concern is making room for the diffuser you can simply just put a 90 degree bend on them and exit to the side just behind the wheel. I did this a few years ago with that intention. The above picture does look bad *** BUT that's where my oil cooler is so not an option.

Last edited by Hi Volts Z06; 01-23-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: proof read and didn't make sense!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Any mufflers at all or dumped straight pipes?
no mufflers... loud was an understatement. I heard some people put some circular mufflers in before dumps, but I never did.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked up the pictures of your exhaust on your build again... I see what you mean. You've got yours dumping straight down right at the end of the torque tube. I wonder if dumping them a little farther back by the cradle and angled at 45 degrees would make any difference.

It probably would be quieter. But I like the simplicity of the system. I can get in there and work around the trans easy. I have all kinds of tranny/diff cooler lines running in there and occasionally I need to check fluid levels and get to them. Custom Molded Earbuds solve the noise for me!

I would LOVE to go out the frame rails like a REAL race car, but with our local sound issues, I fear pointing the noise out one side or the other would be a problem....all tracks sound meters are on different sides!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone run exhaust turn-downs ahead of the rear cradle? Issues?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:41 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Yep... that's the car I was referring to. Neat way to get the exhaust out the back while allowing for a diffuser.
To your question about mufflers.. no mine was pfadt headers uncapped x pipe and nutting else!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
It probably would be quieter. But I like the simplicity of the system. I can get in there and work around the trans easy. I have all kinds of tranny/diff cooler lines running in there and occasionally I need to check fluid levels and get to them. Custom Molded Earbuds solve the noise for me!

I would LOVE to go out the frame rails like a REAL race car, but with our local sound issues, I fear pointing the noise out one side or the other would be a problem....all tracks sound meters are on different sides!
Randy are you making sound at T-hill and Sonoma like that with no mufflers?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think it's NASA legal though

Quick Reply: Anyone run exhaust turn-downs ahead of the rear cradle? Issues?