Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why am I killing my Cobalt Pads and Coleman rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Why am I killing my Cobalt Pads and Coleman rotors

I have this combination on my C6 and C5.... in round figures my comp weight is 3300# in my C5 and 3500# in the C6.

The C5 is better on pads and rotors than the C6 even though it has over 100 more RWHP, so I think weight must be a factor.

I mostly use Xr1's but have tried XR2's as well with the same results.

After a session or two I have to clean the pad material out of the rotor slots.

Both cars have the Katech brake ducts. I'm only getting about 70 mins on the pads and 2.5 hours on the rotors. The rotors never have cracked however I wear them out. I know Im hard on brakes but it just seems like I get far less wear than most anyone I know.

Im running AP's on the front and stock C6 Z06 calipers in the rear.......rears wear fine but the front is a whole other story.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Are you saying you get the same wear rate on both the C5 and C6? Are you running the same pad compound front and back?

What track are you experiencing this on? Can you give some lap times for both cars?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:37 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Im running AP's on the front and stock C6 Z06 calipers in the rear.......rears wear fine but the front is a whole other story.
Which AP calipers are you running? Can you please elaborate on your precise setup...which specific components are you using on each car front and rear? How big are the discs? How many vanes do they have?

Keep in mind that not all discs of the same size are created equal. Vane count, vane design, air gap, wall thickness, hat design, and metallurgy all play a role in how much air a disc flows, the temps it reaches, and it's resistance to wear and cracking. We've seen our 325x32mm heavy duty AP Racing discs outlast much larger discs by a considerable margin for the above reasons.

Feel free to email me if you'd like some help on your setup. We have options on complete AP Racing Competitions BBK's in different sizes depending on your needs, and we have them for both the C5 and C6. The up front costs may seem high at first, but when you look at the long-term costs, convenience, and confidence they give you, it makes a lot of sense. We've taken a lot of customers from having to bleed brakes after every session and replacing discs every weekend...to essentially never having to think about their brakes. They spend the time between sessions bench racing and relaxing, rather than wrenching and cursing.

Essex/AP Racing Sprint Kit

Essex/AP Racing Endurance Kit

Again, shoot me an email. If you're interested in upfitting both of your cars, I can work something out with you.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
Are you saying you get the same wear rate on both the C5 and C6? Are you running the same pad compound front and back?

What track are you experiencing this on? Can you give some lap times for both cars?
The C5 is marginally better. Generally I run the same on the rear as the front..... Xr1's. Ive run the XR'2 a few times with similar results.

I run a lot of tracks with the C6 and some are worst than others but the wear results are similar. RA, WGI, Serbring, CMP etc. etc.

Summit Point and VIR are my home tracks. C5 at VIR 2.00-2.02, C6 at VIR 2.03-2.05. Summit Point C5 1.16-1.18 C6 1.17-1.19.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by topmover
The C5 is marginally better. Generally I run the same on the rear as the front..... Xr1's. Ive run the XR'2 a few times with similar results.

I run a lot of tracks with the C6 and some are worst than others but the wear results are similar. RA, WGI, Serbring, CMP etc. etc.

Summit Point and VIR are my home tracks. C5 at VIR 2.00-2.02, C6 at VIR 2.03-2.05. Summit Point C5 1.16-1.18 C6 1.17-1.19.
I'm not with the cars now so I'm unable to get specific sizes however the brake package is the AFX one that I think many people on this site run. Going off memory the front calipers are 5050's.

I should add that up until a couple of months ago the C6 didn't have a full wing or large splitter, I thought once I put big aero on the car that it might improve however it hasn't. The C5 only has a rear lip spoiler.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not enough front brake. The AP 4 piston 3850 caliper and J Hook 12.81" AP setup is undersized so your overheating and smearing the pads. Been there done that. Don't do Z06 or 4 piston anything on the front of the C6. Do not stop at Wilwood, do not collect $200. Go right to Stoptech ST60 and their 14" 2 piece rotors, Brembo equivalent, or maybe the new AP 6 piston stuff that JRitt is developing. Do not waste your money doing any other adhoc trial and error mess. Been there done that, should have learned from the faster guys around me what worked.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:49 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Not enough front brake. The AP 4 piston 3850 caliper and J Hook 12.81" AP setup is undersized so your overheating and smearing the pads. Been there done that. Don't do Z06 or 4 piston anything on the front of the C6. Do not stop at Wilwood, do not collect $200. Go right to Stoptech ST60 and their 14" 2 piece rotors, Brembo equivalent, or maybe the new AP 6 piston stuff that JRitt is developing. Do not waste your money doing any other adhoc trial and error mess. Been there done that, should have learned from the faster guys around me what worked.

I wish the fix was that easy, my AP's are 6 piston.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Are you using the same pad front and rear?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm assuming that you are running some sort of duct system after the Katech part? From memory their kit puts you into the factory part? But nothing after that.

More air the better! You can always block some off if you back the other way.

Randy
Old 01-24-2014, 01:41 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more details on the cars, but I can say I've heard from more than a few sources that coleman rotors are "ok" at best.

With those lap times you've posted, and the weight of your car, I can only assume you make a TON of power, or have a car with aero. If its power, than you are going to be getting those brakes mighty hot at the end of the VIR straights. Thus I agree with randy... more cooling = more better
Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I know Cobalts pretty well, and I have Andie's cell if need be.

With that being said...

With any brake pad you need to keep them in their 'happy temp range' for best life and performance from the pad. So they could be running to hot or could be to cold. Most of the time to cold doesn't mean much to race pads other than poor stopping but if you get some pads to cold they will increase the wear rate on both the rotor and the pad. Same thing if they get to hot, but that generally only effects the rotor life.

I don't know if you have the ability to check temps on the rotors and calipers or not. They have rotor paint you can use and also stick on temp sensors for the calipers. If you have a IR temp gun you can shoot it when it gets back in the pits too.

Do you know if the inside pad wears any different than the outside pad? Any taper issues?

Coleman rotors....we used those some time ago. Ok rotor but they are almost disposable at best. We ran them on the TransAm series cars....good for a race and that was it. Would spending more on rotors be better? Hard to say without at least testing, but spend a weekend with a different rotor and see. Rotors can and will effect life of the other parts as they are a vital component to cooling of the system too.

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 01-24-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Same Pad XR1's front and rear but I have used the XR2's with essentially the same results.

Definitely have brake cooling hoses........both cars have top of the line stuff.

The C5 has a ton of power with no aero other than a rear lip spoiler.

The C6 has stock power and essentially ZR1 style aero................I recently added the LG "big aero" package with 1 day at VIR Grand and 5 days at Sebring, I'm getting the same wear results as I have in the past............which as I said I was hoping that the aero was going to improve pad/rotor wear but it doesn't appear so.

I do plan to get some rotor temp paint but was hoping someone else may have had this issue.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Check your PM's

Need to figure out some temp data first and foremost and we can go from there.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

In respect to taper and wear, the outside one's wear and taper more than the inside............. however I don't consider the amount of difference to be that unusual.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:08 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

if he is running performance afx calipers i am sure they are the AP cp5555 calipers
something doesnt sound right since cobalts last alot longer then time stated.

Last edited by dvandentop; 01-25-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:57 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As Anthony alluded to, it sounds to me like they could be running too cold, that would explain the excessive wear on both rotor and pad as they can become very abrasive if not up to temperature. If you get the heat paint on and they're running cold, try taping off the ducts for a session and see how it goes.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by monteboy84
As Anthony alluded to, it sounds to me like they could be running too cold, that would explain the excessive wear on both rotor and pad as they can become very abrasive if not up to temperature. If you get the heat paint on and they're running cold, try taping off the ducts for a session and see how it goes.
I'd love for this to be the case and clearly that would be an easy fix, although I find it hard to believe that I'm not getting enough heat in my brakes. I'm far from the best or most aggressive driver on this forum however I think most people who know me would suspect that I'm giving the brakes a pretty good work out.

(bear in mind I've gotten similar results with both XR1 and XR2 compounds)

Guess I need to get him some temps.

Get notified of new replies

To Why am I killing my Cobalt Pads and Coleman rotors

Old 01-26-2014, 10:50 PM
jacks2000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried Cryogenic treated rotors?
Thanks,
Jack
Old 01-27-2014, 12:55 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by jacks2000
Has anyone tried Cryogenic treated rotors?
Thanks,
Jack
not worth the extra price
Old 01-27-2014, 07:24 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
not worth the extra price
I'm not sure about that, I did use them couldn't see any wear issues
that said the C7 has them so GM must think they are worth it

Quick Reply: Why am I killing my Cobalt Pads and Coleman rotors