Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes one caliper better than than another?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 PM
ctk30
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes one caliper better than than another?

I have 5 calipers right now, two different width alcon's, and 3 matching wilwoods, all 1.75/1.88 four piston calipers. Now I wouldn't be asking this if the alcon caliper I just bought was the same as I already had but it isn't, one is for 1.25" and the other is 1.375

I believe the older style wilwood set is for 1.375 rotors, I can find these rotors off ebay for pretty reasonable prices, usually front 12.625-12.9ish in diameter. I found some red devil chromoly ones that are coated that are supposed to weight 12 pounds less also. But I'm not worried about that

What exactly makes one caliper more desirable than the other, both appear to be forged, both are older style from a cup car such as a NASCAR or ARCA car. The alcon looks nicer. They should be just as rigid as each other, obviously don't have the more distributed load of a 6 piston caliper though

I was able to find a decent deal on a dirt late model motor, and it is going to be making some pretty serious power compared to what I was originally planning. Should be capable of pushing the car to 200mph on tracks such as daytona

My thought was to take the inserts from the alcon calipers, which I believe are titanium, and put them in the wilwood calipers. I'll measure the pistons first though to see if I can just put the alcon pistons in the wilwoods

The car is going to have 3, 3" ducts going to the brakes also, might add an inline blower on the top line also

Alcon caliper inserts

And the wilwood calipers, I had to take out the heat sheilds where the rotor goes to clear the rotor, heat shields from pads are still there

Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 PM
ctk30
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the car

I'm honestly not sure what the car will weigh done, it has a steel body not fiberglass, so that adds probably 50ish pounds

I imagine it will still be less than 3000 with me in it

Quick Reply: What makes one caliper better than than another?