Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c7 track car wish list

Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM
divinezx9
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c7 track car wish list

post earlier this in another section, thought it would be more appropriate here;
Just a little wishful thinking here, thought I’d share. Now I love the new stingray and even better the upcoming z06, but still wish for something a lil different. Maybe something in the middle. I do believe a grand sport or something will show up in the future, but what about a GSx like z06x, or call it whatever. Again I’m just wishful thinking here, but GM does appear to be testing some other versions of the c7 besides z06. There are the pics of the widebody convertible and someone posted yesterday a pic with a cammo covered, looked like a stingray with z06 wheels and possibly wider rear fenders. I will say, I love the new z06, but personally would like something with even more track focus and I don’t need all that power, but I do like power. More to the point, a lighter weight c7. So here’s my wishlist c7 that won’t get built, at least not from the factory, again I’m really just wishing for a lighter c7.
I propose using the existing parts bin, between the stingray, z51, z06, and even Camaro z28, a cool track toy could be put together with minimal development cost to the general.
Start with the base stingray w/z51 package. The stingray is already a wide car, the z06 widebody is bad a$$ looking, but would be heavier.
I believe a lightly modded lt1, call it the lt2, could be massaged to 520ish HP. Use the crank and rods from the lt4 as well as the titanium intake valves. Use the lt1 pistons for higher compression ratio. Lose the AFM, rev this thing higher, gas mileage won’t suffer too much. It is direct injection and will be a low volume model.
Lets use the z06 springs and sway bars. DSSV shocks from the z28, better for the track and less weight. Offer the carbon ceramic brakes as a stand alone option for those that want it, like me. This would also save some weight. Also the carbon fiber torque tube from the z06 would be nice and of course save some weight.
All of the fancy electronics, PDR, e-diff, can stay. Take out some of the sound deadening, lighter carpet, and lighter material for the back window. Also fancy speaker systems need to go, magnets are heavy, a simple 2-4 speaker system is fine. Competition seats should be standard. 7speed manual standard, I’ll take mine with the new 8speed auto if it’s as good as they claim. I’m ok with the z51 aero, maybe a simple front splitter. Also lose the active exhaust, no lil motors for valves is less weight. Probably use after market exhaust anyway. And some lil subdued Jake stickers would be swell, lol.
Like I said, I’m just playing around with some wishful thinking, would be nice. We’ll see what this possible grand sport they’re testing turns out to be like. And by all means share your thoughts and feel free to add to the list!
one more thing, the lt2 engine could have an upgraded cam.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:20 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

My .02.... It's simple. Start with everything they plan on putting on the Z07, put the steel brakes on it instead of the carbon, ditch the blower, drop in a light, high revving ~500hp N/A engine, and add mounting points for a roll bar/cage into the frame.

Is that really too much to ask?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:31 PM
divinezx9
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
My .02.... It's simple. Start with everything they plan on putting on the Z07, put the steel brakes on it instead of the carbon, ditch the blower, drop in a light, high revving ~500hp N/A engine, and add mounting points for a roll bar/cage into the frame.

Is that really too much to ask?
z06x? would be nice, but need some weight taken off this thing. and something cheaper than 100,000 grand.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:20 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Standard size brake pads that are cheap and easy to change, along with iron rotors that last.

Engine, trans and rear cooling up to the task of hot weather endurance track use.

A true dry sump oil system and pan.

An option of stiff springs & bars without the high dollar suspension electronics.

Easy to install harness bar or bolt in cage.

Ditch the supercharger and give us something that won't eat valves.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:54 PM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If they use the DSSV shocks there will be no leaf springs just like on a coil over set up. But that would be cool to see.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:13 PM
divinezx9
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=BoostedEBZ06;1586110460]If they use the DSSV shocks there will be no leaf springs just like on a coil over set up. But that would be cool to see.[/QUOTE

i don't know full details on the dssv shocks, but i understand the camaro uses coil springs. could they not develop dssv shocks for use with leaf springs?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:19 PM
divinezx9
Heel & Toe

i'd even be happy if gm would atleast for 2016 make the carbon fiber torque tube standard and offer the 8speed auto on the z51. then i'd just turn to the aftermarket for other things i'd want.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:17 PM
AllardJ2
4th Gear

Looking to order a Z06 this year. Want to take care of the car, of course, but something I REALLY want to do with it is enjoy the local road racing track's track days with it. Am trying to decide between 7 speed manual and 8 speed auto. "Normally" I would never think of a sports car/track car as having anything other than a manual. However, time marches on. How does the manual compare to the paddle shift auto, when used on the track? MIND YOU... NOT door to door racing, just doing track days and wanting to have fun. Also I would do the engine build and factory walk through, so plan on keeping it forever. Am 56. Maybe looking forward a decade or 2...Might want the paddle shift for those reasons...knees etc. What is the consensus about TRACK DAYS and comparing the two transmissions? THANK YOU. I don't want to just "pick one" and then regret my decision. I don't particularly want the upcoming mid-engine car, which means this year is it.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:24 PM
AllardJ2
4th Gear

PS... have owned the 1960 4speed Corvette my grandfather ordered new and picked up at the factory since 1975, still do. Am quite familiar with driving hard up a paved mountain road 4 miles to home. Have an Allard J2 and a Tiger as well, all 4 speed manual cars that are fun as hell to drive. HOWEVER... non are acceptable for track day. No roll bars, and not putting roll bars in them. So... the new car as a coupe and I'm in... SO not new to driving a sports car hard, just totally new to the concept of a paddle shift 8 speed auto.... for that matter a 7 speed manual (for that matter tripling the HP of the '60, and doubling the HP of the other two! NIGHT AND DAY)

Last edited by AllardJ2; 11-20-2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: needed to
Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

If you plan to track it get the manual transmission. The A8s generate more heat especially if you don't manually shift. GM just announced a secondary radiator for the M7 cars that goes where the secondary trans cooler goes on the A8.

I have 25 track days on my C7 Z06 M7 and have yet to overheat the car but there are plenty of folks who have. If you buy a manual and start having troubles with the car overheating then you can install the GM secondary radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To c7 track car wish list

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c7 track car wish list