Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe/do flat spotted tires affect traction? Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 PM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Is it safe/do flat spotted tires affect traction? Questions.

I was wondering if it's safe and if flat spotted tires affect traction at all.

Last time out at Thill my ABS went inop due to wonderful Russell SS lines I ended up locking up the tires once for a couple seconds, flat spotting the fronts.

I have a vibration between 50-60mph, is it safe to run them and will that affect traction at all?

The tires have plenty of tread left so maybe I can wear the flat spot out?

I have an extra set of 18" wheels to run a square set up, so was wondering if I should go ahead and drop $1000 on tires or get my new seat.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:05 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak to the traction issue, but my experience is that confidence goes out the window with a flat-spotted tire. It's hard to tell when you're at the threshold when the whole car is shaking!

IMO, it's not worth it. The lack of feedback may be even more dangerous than just loss of traction. Maybe keep them around for test & tune runs so you don't have to worry about using up a good set?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

You will probably cord them pretty quick if you use it that way. Then you'll need to quit & lose a day unless you carry a spare pair.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like they might be bad enough to not run them on track.
I would recommend finding a skid pad.
Skid pad practice is very useful and a set of tires you are about done with can really pay for themselves on a good wet skid pad.
Make sure someone skilled is in the car with you to really help you figure out how to rotate the car.
The bonus is, it is a blast!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

My only experience with badly flat spotted tires happened this past summer. While racing at AMP a car in front parked on me before the start finish line for some reason. Not having ABS and a somewhat suspect brake bias, I locked up the fronts and flat spotted them down to about an eight inch patch of brite metal cords. The rest of the tires were almost full tread. I had to continue a couple of more laps at speed while the crew readied the other set. Tires held but the car almost shook apart.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO, once you flat spot tires to the point of vibration, you're done. Those tires will find the flat spot under braking which can cause another lock when the flat spot, which now has a larger contact patch then the rest of the tire, grips and grabs...ABS may save you here, but like someone else pointed out, hard to be confident with unpredictable grip like you get from a flat spotted tire.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedO6
IMHO, once you flat spot tires to the point of vibration, you're done. Those tires will find the flat spot under braking which can cause another lock when the flat spot, which now has a larger contact patch then the rest of the tire, grips and grabs...ABS may save you here, but like someone else pointed out, hard to be confident with unpredictable grip like you get from a flat spotted tire.
I concur!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 06:43 PM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Well that's not what I wanted to hear, let's hope I didn't flat spot the rears too!

Eek...any good way to test that?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:55 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Move the tires to the rear if you can - the flatspotting becomes largely imperceptible.

It might be acceptable that way, but I wouldn't go to the track without having a new set on hand to replace them.

Flatspotted tires make an interesting driver aid - when you're cornering near the limit and the flatspot come to the bottom, the car skips sideways a little bit. So the vibration strengthens as you get closer to losing overall grip. I'm not sure I'd recommend taking an angle grinder to your practice tires though
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The flat spot has a shorter radius and if the brakes lock it will generally happen at the same location.

If you get your ABS working it will probably delay the amount of time it takes to cord the tire. Mark the sidewall and keep checking everytime you come in.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedO6

Bill
Old 02-08-2014, 10:02 PM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
The flat spot has a shorter radius and if the brakes lock it will generally happen at the same location. If you get your ABS working it will probably delay the amount of time it takes to cord the tire. Mark the sidewall and keep checking everytime you come in.
ABS is working again I simply replaced the Russel lines with Goodridge and it's all good!

How do I find the flat spot? Is it as simple as looking at the tire or rolling it?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:14 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedEBZ06
ABS is working again I simply replaced the Russel lines with Goodridge and it's all good!

How do I find the flat spot? Is it as simple as looking at the tire or rolling it?
You should able to see it if you raise the car and hand turn the tires. If not, you can take it off and roll it and the flat spot will be obvious.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

LOL, I'm about to get hated out of this thread. I flat spotted my right front last year and expressed concern. The guy I borrowed it from said it'd be fine after another race, and it was. Mind you this was nowhere near the cords, but it worked itself out.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 PM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
LOL, I'm about to get hated out of this thread. I flat spotted my right front last year and expressed concern. The guy I borrowed it from said it'd be fine after another race, and it was. Mind you this was nowhere near the cords, but it worked itself out.
Interesting i was wondering it that was possible.

I'll see how bad the flat spot is tomorrow and decide from there.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:34 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm not going to lie, initially it was annoying as hell, but I flat spotted it in my comp school race and proceeded to take 2nd place in my 1st real race. Admittedly, there was a 3 car tangle that I blew through and just ran for my life and held on, but by the end of the race I'd forgotten the right front had ever been flat spotted. My car runs around -2.5* camber, so it tends to only flat spot the inner half of the tire, so that much less to un-flat spot but I'll be damned if it didn't work. This was on RA1s that were cycled out and about done, but by the end of the weekend I corded the shoulders and not the center meat.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I once flat spotted 2 new kumho's. I wanted to get them shaved, but no one would shave them once they touched the ground.

The problem is, it shakes apart the car, and destroys everything in your suspension. Your rod ends, shocks, springs, body panels. Everything shakes to death, including your body.

I sold them to a drag strip guy for cheap.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 PM
BoostedEBZ06
Drifting

Welp finally got around to swapping the lines today and the only tire that had a noticeable flat spot was the left front the tread in one area was significantly lower than the rest of the tire.

The rest looks good I could tell where the lock up was on other tires but no flat spot or tread height difference.

So looks like only two new fronts are need which isn't a big deal because I was going to run 18s all around anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it safe/do flat spotted tires affect traction? Questions.

Quick Reply: Is it safe/do flat spotted tires affect traction? Questions.