Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine or trans oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 PM
akcraig85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine or trans oil cooler

Hey guys. I just got my 08 A6 vette for Christmas and I plan on tracking the car. Since I live in TX I'm worried about oil temps. I can get a used Z06 oil cooler or a new trans oil cooler for around $300 each. Which is recommended to buy first? I will eventually end up getting both just curious which y'all would get first. Thanks
Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 AM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On my 2006 A6 Z51, I added Z06 oil cooler, separate tranny cooler and a Dewitts rad with integrated oil and tranny coolers.

Starting from stock, I would add extra tranny cooler first, then oil cooler.

When tracking, display tranny temp in the DIC and start letting up when tranny goes above 235 to 240 degrees. The more shifts you make, the faster the tranny temp will go up.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
On my 2006 A6 Z51, I added Z06 oil cooler, separate tranny cooler and a Dewitts rad with integrated oil and tranny coolers.

Starting from stock, I would add extra tranny cooler first, then oil cooler.

When tracking, display tranny temp in the DIC and start letting up when tranny goes above 235 to 240 degrees. The more shifts you make, the faster the tranny temp will go up.

You'll toast the trans pretty quick

although you really need both
Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Depends on how much you plan to track it. If 1-3/yr on street tires, it's not likely you'll need either. Keep the fluids fresh and don't run in Hades heat and you'll be fine. More than that, your speed will pick up and then as ErnieN85 says you'll need both and one for the diff as well.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you wait until you can afford everything before you run hard at the track: oil cooler, trans cooler, and diff cooler. The money you save by not toasting parts will be yours. If you must wait on something, wait on the engine oil cooler. The LS motors seem to have an amazing tolerance for hot thin oil. The trans (both auto and manual) is the weakest link with regards to running hot, then the diff.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:28 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Been there, you need both for sure. Oil temps will soar with hard track driving and the A6 will reach the tunes limp mode limit, at least my modded 2006 C6 Z51 did at about 255 trans. It got to over 300 oil before I did a DeWitts radiator for better cooling of both. But still more cooling would be better. Trans still went to as much as 265 hot days, and oil to 280 with DeWitts only. Do as much as you can if you will be driving hard or have much engine modding.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM
akcraig85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess ill wait till I can afford both. I'm not big on tracking the car during summer here in Texas so ill just have to wait till the fall instead of trying to get in a spring run. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine or trans oil cooler

Quick Reply: Engine or trans oil cooler