Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST3 Barber Recap

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Default ST3 Barber Recap

Get a beer, this is going to be long. For those of you that failed 9th grade English, here are the Cliffnotes:

- I ran ST3 and TT3 at Barber Motorsports Park in my C5Z06
- Placed 1st in ST3 on Saturday
- Placed 2nd in TT3 on Saturday
- Placed 2nd in ST3 on Sunday
- Placed 2nd in TT3 on Sunday

ST3 recap from Barber Motorsports Park Valentine’s Day weekend with NASA:

Wednesday-Thursday:
If getting to the track has half the fun, I don’t want this kind of fun. We live just north of Charlotte and got dumped on with the snow Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday afternoon my oldest daughter calls my cell and asks me if I can come rescue her before her car slides down a hill and into a creek. She was coming home from work in the snow and took evasive maneuvers to avoid a sliding car (HPDEs pay off with learned car skills). She didn’t hit anything, but ended up driving off the pavement and on the side of a hill. In several inches of snow, I drove our 2wd diesel to within a ¼ mile of her and walked the rest of the way. She was at the bottom of two quarter mile hills, both of which were full of stuck cars. Neither of which would my truck have gotten back up had I drove down to her. After trying to get the car back on the pavement with no success, I gave up and we walked back to my truck and luckily made it home.

We had planned on leaving around 10am Thursday morning to head to Barber and that wasn’t going to happen with her car left on the side of the road for the night. Around 8am I stared texting all of my friends that I thought had 4wds and thank goodness Dan (dansblkonblkz06) responded with a, “Hell yeah!” By this time, we had probably 4-5” of snow and a ¼” of ice on the ground and it was coming down harder than ever.

Dan came over with his 4wd diesel, delivered my lexan windshield that we shipped to his shop, took me and my daughter to her car, and pulled us about two miles home. Awesome!!! The quart of liquid Carolina goodness I gave him probably did not make up for what is coming next.

As the snow kept falling, our hopes of leaving at a decent time (6 hour tow) fell with it. I “voluntold” the teenagers in my house to help me shovel the drive in hopes that the snow would quit, a snow plow would come through the neighborhood, and angels would sing from the heavens. Didn’t happen. We had at least 7” on the ground by noon. Most likely it was more. I gave up, wrote getting to the lapping day on Friday at Barber, took a shower, and started reading a book. No joke! Thought about drinking beer, but glad I didn’t.

Around 4pm, the temps were above freezing and my wife and I walked up the street in our neighborhood to check things out. We saw that the main road in our subdivision had been plowed in the middle. I called Dan and asked him if he was interested in towing my trailer, with the Corvette already loaded, out of my garage and out of my neighborhood, and then come back and tow out my diesel. Again, he said, “Hell yeah!”

The following two hours were a mad dash of finishing loading everything into my truck, packing our gear, and telling the herd of teenagers to not leave and not to burn down the house until we got back. Dan arrived (AGAIN!!!) and we were able to get my trailer out of the neighborhood and to a Walgreens parking lot about a mile away. We went back for my diesel and I was able to get the one-wheel-torque-monster out in a show of white spray and burning rubber. My shoveling neighbors probably enjoyed it.

By 6:15pm I was hooked up to my trailer and leaving the Walgreen’s parking lot in another show of spraying snow and spinning tires. I called Morris (z06tracker) to tell him we were hitting the interstate and we would catch up near Charlotte if he left now. He lives about 20 minutes from me and his neighborhood had been plowed during the storm. I-85 through North and South Carolina were pretty sketchy at times. By the time we got to I-20 in Atlanta and then westward to Alabama, the interstate was clear but there were trees down on the sides of the road in a lot of places. We pulled into the hotel near Barber around 1:00am Eastern Time. Besides making the trip, the only bright note is we got an extra hour of sleep by crossing into Central Time.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Friday:
Since we had already written Friday off, Morris and I both skipped the first lapping session to unload, set up our paddock area, and prep the cars. He ended up filling in as an instructor for Mark (drivenhard) since Mark was still snowed-in back in Georgia. The day was going so-so, learning the track, learning the facilities, and all of that newness. What I learned is that Barber is a very technical track. There are sweepers, double-apexes, off-camber turns, downhill braking zones, lots of elevation change, and very short straights. What you would expect from a track built for motorcycle racing. The best way I can describe it is to take Mid-Ohio without the two long straights, add in the elevation changes from Road Atlanta, and then throw in a mini-corkscrew from Laguna Seca.

I had put my passenger seat back in a while back so I could take a couple of people for rides during the lapping day. The highlight of the day was taking my wife for a session. This is a big deal for me/us because we have NEVER been in a race car together at the same time. She grew up racing, was a national champ in her teens, and has driven every track car we have owned. She still Chump races with us as well. But we had never been in the car together. Her rule has always been, “The President and Vice-President don’t travel together.” I get the feeling that I am the VP though….

The lowlight of the day is when Morris’ transmission got stuck in gear. His tranny was supposedly built, so it came as a surprise when it felt like the typical “broken key, stuck in gear” situation arose. We got it back to the paddock and got it back into 3rd gear so he could at least race on it Saturday and Sunday. At Barber, a C5Z06 with MN12 is not in too bad of a situation by not having 4th gear, especially with a higher than stock rev limit.

Friday being Valentine’s Day, my wife and I originally had reservations at a very nice restaurant in Birmingham. When we didn’t think we were going to make it Thursday, she had cancelled the reservations. When she called again on Friday, they did not have any openings. Sooo, determined to make the best of it, we headed off to Carrabba’s about 20 minutes away. The wait list was TWO hours when we walked in the door!!!!

Edging our way over to the bar to put in a drink order, a lady left her chair to go to the restroom. While talking to the bartender at her empty chair, her husband turned around from his seat with his buzzer and said that their number was up for their table. SCORE!!!! We slid right into their chairs, toasted our glasses, and said, “Bring us two menu’s please! We are eating at the bar!”
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Saturday:
I had doubled-up with racing in ST3 and time trialing in TT3 so I could get TTs toward Nationals, but my focus was on ST3. Super Touring 3 was put in with the Lightning race group at Barber because there was Morris and I in our Z06s, an Audi, and then like 8 or 9 ST3-trim Thunder Roadsters. I am very ok with being in the fastest group in a race, but I was not looking forward to the 11 Spec-Pinatas, the specE30s racing in PTE, and the 19 Thunder Roadsters racing in their TR group. Nervous was an understatement. At least in Thunder, you know most every race car you are on track with costs $40-100k, not $7-20k.

I ran 1:38x on older Hoosier R6s in TT practice. We slapped on my used A6s for a faster time and when I rolled back down for the first hot session of the day, the grid sheet showed me (hand written) as DQ’ed but they could not tell me why. I got extremely pissed and pulled away from grid intent on not running that session. My wife jumped on the radio and talked me into just running from the back of the pack, setting a slow time, and getting my session towards Nationals. She also reminded me that I drive better when I am angry. Ha!

Starting from the back of the pack with a couple of other fast cars, I latched onto the rear bumper of the MTI C7 Corvette and we commenced to running through the slower classes on my way to a 1:38 in traffic. That heat cycle was effectively wasted, but I felt better. I knew Scott (sperkins) would run a better time later in the day, so I was content to place second behind him since we were the only two in class anyway.

In Lightning Qualifying, I ran another 1:38.020 from the front of the field to qualify 3rd in ST3. I have no excuse that time since I had zero traffic. I will chalk it up to still learning the track, I guess. The fastest ST3 TR ran a 1:35.665 and outside pole was 1:37.265. There were three of us in the 38s.

During Qualifying, Morris took to the grass to avoid a spinning Legends car and brushed the left wall between Turn 4 and Turn 5. On the left side of the car, he bent the splitter, scuffed the front bumper cover, rear fender, and rear bumper cover. We bent the splitter back in place and he was still going to be able to run the race – and still stuck in 3rd gear.

The start of the Lighting race was interesting as I was surrounded by ST3 Thunder Roadsters while passing Thunder Roadsters. Crazy to try and keep track of them all. I now see why I get raced so hard in Thunder by the non-Corvette drivers. We all look alike and it is hard to know the class of the car in your rear view mirror. Thank goodness my wife does my spotting via radio and calls a good race for me.

A good friend, Rob, got by me in his ST3 TR coming in to T2 on the first lap. So I pretty much started the race in 4th place. We worked out way through traffic and the P2 ST3 TR had an issue with his motor and dropped out on Lap 1. On Lap 2, the fastest ST3 TR in P1 went into a pack of Miata’s in the last turn, made contact, and spun track left into the inside wall. I was able to make my way through the hornets’ nest of spinning cars and settled in behind Rob for P2.

Somewhere in the next few laps, I was able to get by Rob in traffic and take P1. From that point forward, I was driving in my mirror as he stayed on me like glue. In T1 and T2 he could get inside me and then I would pull away from him in T3, through T4 and have enough space down to T5 that he could not outbrake me. I would maintain a bit of distance all the way to the last complex of turns and he would again be under my rear bumper or alongside me in T14A and T15. T14-T14A – I don’t think I ever got that complex correct. When I ran the line that I thought gave me the best line through T15 and speed through the front straight, I would leave the inside unprotected in T14a and he would duck in on me.

The other kicker with running Rob is that Rob spent several hours behind the wheel of my car during the enduro at Road Atlanta back in December. So he knew exactly where my car was strong and weak. He did push me to a 1:37.6 in traffic during the race, so that was good.

Rob broke the axle in his TR very late in the race. I saw him fading back in my mirror and was elated to take the breather. It seemed like all of a sudden, the checkered flag came out and I crossed the line. Rob had given up and was heading into the pits. As he headed down pit lane, he said he looked up, saw the checkered flag, and drove all the way down the pit lane to cross the timing loop to stay in second place. LOL! It was a great, hard-fought win and I will take it!!! A two Hoosier payday.

I did tap a Thunder Roadster in the T7 corkscrew under braking during the race. It was Sonny, the DE3 classroom instructor. We talked later and he felt he had cut across my nose. I felt that I had slid into his rear quarter and tire with ABS going nuts over the rumble strips. No harm no foul, we both thought it was our own fault. I have a black mark but it might buff out and appears to be in the clear bra only on the left front anyway.

On the last lap of the race, Morris had a Thunder Roadster attempt to put a slide job on him in T14 area and made significant contact. Morris ended up with damage to the right front bumper cover, tore the splitter all to heck, and bent the right front tire rod so he had enough toe-in to make the car almost undriveable. Unreal.

I will say the carnage in Lightning was HUGE, but what I expected and I am lucky to have escaped most of it. The closing rate between the ST3 cars and the Spec Miata’s and PTF cars was significant. But probably about the same as the STU cars and the Honda Challenge cars in Thunder. I am certain they should swap the HC cars to Lightning and ST3 cars to Thunder. Another note is the fact that despite the high number of cars off the track, they let the entire race run under green – which was awesome, but bad for Hoosier A6s.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Sunday:
I skipped the “all racer warmup” session in favor of the early morning TT session. I started behind Scott and ran a 1:36 pushing him to a 1:35. Awesome lap, Scott!!! On stickers, TT3 should see a low 1:34 or into the 1:33s.

Morris decided he had had enough excitement on Friday and Saturday and packed up for home. Hated seeing him leave early but fully understood. Not a good weekend for him after all of our travel efforts to get there.

The Sunday Lightning race gridded by the Saturday Qualifying times. So once again I was starting P3, this time we were in the third wave and caught the back of the Spec-Miata field pretty quickly. I was able to get by P2 pretty easily since he was in a backup car and set my sights on P1. I stayed on his tail running the car very hard and was able to get by him using traffic as a pick. I caught a couple of local yellows that put some cars between us and I was able to back off a bit to let the tires cool and try to save them. (This was their third race; they also had three qualifying sessions and three time trial sessions.) He got back up to me and we started running hard once again and hit traffic. This time, he used traffic and speed to his advantage and simply out-drove me. No excuses. I stayed with him as long as I could, but the tires were going away.

I backed off a bit and asked my wife to verify how many cars to the green flag in ST3. She replied that seven were on RaceMonitor. I quickly mulled over the fact that 2nd place pays a tire, and decided to back off a bit more and settle in for 2nd place. Towards the end of the race when I could no longer see P1 on the straights, I attempted another run and the tires quickly got too greasy again. By then it was too late and the checkered flag came out with me solidly in P2. Again, I’ll take a one Hoosier payday!

Somewhere in there, I set the fastest lap of the race and fastest of the weekend during Lightning racing with a 1:36.658 on tires that are long in the tooth.

So there you go. A long read for those of you with ADD. I will try to get the vids edited tonight and hopefully posted later this week. My oldest turns 18 tomorrow, so racing has to take a back seat for a few days as life takes over again.

See you guys/gals at the track!!!!

-Kevin

Last edited by brkntrxn; 02-17-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I got a good chuckle when that TR finished the race in pit lane. I was watching the track and race monitor wondering what he was doing.

I also mentioned before the event that it didn't make a lot of sense that Honda challenge was in Thunder and ST3 in lightning but it did highlight the battle between you and the roadsters. I usually don't even watch lightning. So maybe they are on to something there.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I was able to pull your car from your neighborhood to the Interstate; otherwise you wouldn't have been able to write this book! Nice recap.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:23 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Great write up! Funny stuff (looking back I'm sure). Jeff, you got literary competition. Dan is the kind of friend everyone needs!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
Glad I was able to pull your car from your neighborhood to the Interstate; otherwise you wouldn't have been able to write this book! Nice recap.
No doubt. I owe you another jar when you are ready for it. Call me this week about the lexan windows.

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Great write up! Funny stuff (looking back I'm sure). Jeff, you got literary competition. Dan is the kind of friend everyone needs!

LOL, thanks!

Jeff would have more stories if he would sell a dozen cars and spend some money on ONE. He's like a favorite old uncle: knows a lot, tells it how it is, and isn't afraid to step on toes. He just has a car collection problem.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:36 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I got a good chuckle when that TR finished the race in pit lane. I was watching the track and race monitor wondering what he was doing.

I also mentioned before the event that it didn't make a lot of sense that Honda challenge was in Thunder and ST3 in lightning but it did highlight the battle between you and the roadsters. I usually don't even watch lightning. So maybe they are on to something there.

Yeah, I agree. Jim already heard my thoughts on it.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Here are a couple of the Time Trial laps from Sunday morning where Scott (sperkins) set the lap record. He is in the red Vette in front of me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpYvo...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by brkntrxn; 02-19-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:24 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Awesome writeup Kevin! I wish I lived closer to you guys, sounds like you have a lot more fun at the track than we do up here!
I'm taking this year off because I'm sick of the "stuff" up here.
I might get my car done late this summer and come down in the fall.
If you guys decide to make a trip up to the NE let me know and I'll make sure to come out for the weekend.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I agree, your giving Jeff some competition here!!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:43 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Greg,

Thanks. No trips planned to the Northeast this year, but we both really enjoyed Watkins and will be back sometime.

Fred,

Haha, thanks!

Here is the video for the Saturday ST3 Race in Lightning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv38D...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by brkntrxn; 02-19-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Sunday's ST3 Race in Lightning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QqZh...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by brkntrxn; 02-19-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:45 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
No doubt. I owe you another jar when you are ready for it. Call me this week about the lexan windows.

LOL, thanks!

Jeff would have more stories if he would sell a dozen cars and spend some money on ONE. He's like a favorite old uncle: knows a lot, tells it how it is, and isn't afraid to step on toes. He just has a car collection problem.

Nice writeup, makes me want to take up the keyboard again - but would require me to get to an event!

Great display of racecraft/car management/judgement. All are pretty rare in racing today.

Get notified of new replies

To ST3 Barber Recap

Quick Reply: ST3 Barber Recap