Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flipping (reversing) Hoosiers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:07 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flipping (reversing) Hoosiers

I run Hoosier R6 tires and wonder if anyone has reversed the tire on the rim to extend the tread life? Hoosier says it can be done but doesn't state if it is effective or worth the trouble. How about the rears? Thanx.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:20 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Did it last year

Got another season out of them
Old 02-18-2014, 02:46 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have been doing it for years. I try to run each tire two to three heat cycles (races/tt's/whatever) on each corner, flip them on the rim after 8-10 heat cycles, and start the rotations all over again.

Per Hoosier, for road race tires, initially mount the tires with the serial numbers to the inside. It can then be flipped on the wheel later.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:55 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I alway flip my Hoosiers, but I keep the forward rotation the same. So your not running the tire backward after the flip.

Steve
Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I alway flip my Hoosiers, but I keep the forward rotation the same. So your not running the tire backward after the flip.

Steve
I never heard of this being a problem with Hoosiers.

I was told a long time back to reverse the direction on Kumho V710s to prevent the tread splices from pulling apart. That was a recall problem on them when first released. If you don't reverse them every now and then they still get a line forming but I never had any more of them come apart.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Han Solo

It's just something I do. Probably not a problem. Just keeping the tire stretched the same way.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:33 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This issue and "cure" also apply to Pirelli DHs.

Originally Posted by Han Solo

I was told a long time back to reverse the direction on Kumho V710s to prevent the tread splices from pulling apart. That was a recall problem on them when first released. If you don't reverse them every now and then they still get a line forming but I never had any more of them come apart.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:07 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2

Steve
So for example you are taking the LF and mounting it reversed on the RF; in other words the outside of the LF becomes the inside of the RF. If you flip the tire on the rim it will run backwards to its original orientation.
Is that right? Any source for that or just your experience? Thanks, appreciate your response.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
So for example you are taking the LF and mounting it reversed on the RF; in other words the outside of the LF becomes the inside of the RF. If you flip the tire on the rim it will run backwards to its original orientation.
Is that right? Any source for that or just your experience? Thanks, appreciate your response.
If it is the LF and you flip it, it now runs backwards on the LF. Put it on the RF and it runs the same direction as new. I chalk an arrow on the tires when I take it to Western Tire. Then I know what direction it goes when I mount them back to the car.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

For a6's I reverse the direction of rotation each event so that when they rotate on the rim the movement is reversed the next event (I mark a line where the stem is) They move an inch or more on the rim every event (maybe it's the pressures I use) but I suspect others have the same happen & they just don't know it.

When they are 30 - 40% used I flip them on the rim, outside edge becomes inside edge etc.

I get about 60 good runs then 40 car control runs. No exageration.

On my YT channel I have a video of some worn out perfectly even after 80-90 runs. Ck it out.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:13 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I run Hankook 4 square and only rotate them. They are directional and not to be reversed according to the manufacturer but Hoosier is diff.

Last edited by kimmer; 02-23-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

No issue at all in flipping A6 or R6's, or running them opposite their original direction. I do it all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Flipping (reversing) Hoosiers

Quick Reply: Flipping (reversing) Hoosiers