Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hoosier wheel transport solution - tire trailer in progress ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:18 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default hoosier wheel transport solution - tire trailer in progress ...

finally finished assembling my harbor freight tire trailer. Now I need to install the platform and holding pipes for the wheels, along with a toolbox, install and wire the hitch on my car and I'll be all done

I really like how portable it is!

Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest reinforcing the tongue mounts with thicker steel.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When I had my small HF trailer, I welded the corners of the rails and the center crossmember. The supplied bolts will work, but I would suggest Grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers instead of the cheap Chinese nuts and bolts.

My trailer also had the 12" wheel/tire combo. The larger diameter tires allowed for higher freeway speeds and carried more weight. Also swap out the tail lights for LED versions. That way, you won't have to bother with changing the car's turns signal flasher. I also added a spare tire and hung it underneath the tongue and the front crossmember. I got on eo fht eHF tongue dollies which made it real easy to move the loaded trailer around.

Pull the bearings out and clean them. Repack the bearings using a good wheel bearing grease. The bearings themselves are OK and are a standard size (carry a spare set including races!!).

This was my setup:
Attached Images    
Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, you should really get the larger wheels, a spare and the spare carrier and the landing gear.
The wheel bearing grease is always mentioned by I used mine for 10k miles on the original stuff and it seemed fine when I got around to replacing the grease.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
When I had my small HF trailer, I welded the corners of the rails and the center crossmember. The supplied bolts will work, but I would suggest Grade 8 bolts, nuts and washers instead of the cheap Chinese nuts and bolts.

My trailer also had the 12" wheel/tire combo. The larger diameter tires allowed for higher freeway speeds and carried more weight. Also swap out the tail lights for LED versions. That way, you won't have to bother with changing the car's turns signal flasher. I also added a spare tire and hung it underneath the tongue and the front crossmember. I got on eo fht eHF tongue dollies which made it real easy to move the loaded trailer around.

Pull the bearings out and clean them. Repack the bearings using a good wheel bearing grease. The bearings themselves are OK and are a standard size (carry a spare set including races!!).

This was my setup:
After all that why didn't you just buy a different trailer !!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

Good tips. I already installed the LED taillights and put in better grease in the bearings. I bought the 12" wheels from HF however one of them had the 5 bolt pattern and one had 4 - even though both were the same SKU... I'll be going to HF today to get an exchange.

I'll keep an eye on the nuts and bolts but don't plan to replace any.. Should be good enough for my purposes.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM
rbl
Drifting

[QUOTE=w00tw00t;1586247217]finally finished assembling my harbor freight tire trailer. Now I need to install the platform and holding pipes for the wheels, along with a toolbox, install and wire the hitch on my car and I'll be all done

Two small bars across the rear section raised up about 10" and the tires should sit in the frame pretty nice. I just bolted min on the frame.

I ran mine about 15,000 miles ... no modifications required, no welding, no hocus pocas required. Looks like it already has the 12" tires.

Walmart has a big hard box w/lid for ! $60 and it is excellent, hold a lot of stuff, rust proof and water proof.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:40 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

[QUOTE=rbl;1586250023]
Originally Posted by w00tw00t
finally finished assembling my harbor freight tire trailer. Now I need to install the platform and holding pipes for the wheels, along with a toolbox, install and wire the hitch on my car and I'll be all done

Two small bars across the rear section raised up about 10" and the tires should sit in the frame pretty nice. I just bolted min on the frame.

I ran mine about 15,000 miles ... no modifications required, no welding, no hocus pocas required. Looks like it already has the 12" tires.

Walmart has a big hard box w/lid for ! $60 and it is excellent, hold a lot of stuff, rust proof and water proof.

any pics of your setup?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
Good tips. I already installed the LED taillights and put in better grease in the bearings. I bought the 12" wheels from HF however one of them had the 5 bolt pattern and one had 4 - even though both were the same SKU... I'll be going to HF today to get an exchange.

I'll keep an eye on the nuts and bolts but don't plan to replace any.. Should be good enough for my purposes.
I've been thinking to do this for quite a while, but every time I get into investigating, the biggest issue is the HITCH... there was never a simple solution for the C6Z with stock exhaust.... Maybe that's changed?

What are you doing for the hitch?

Thx!

Get notified of new replies

To hoosier wheel transport solution - tire trailer in progress ...

Quick Reply: hoosier wheel transport solution - tire trailer in progress ...