Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new set of tires....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Need a new set of tires....

I need a new set of DOT slicks soon for the March 8/9th weekend.

I've always used v710s- they are on national backorder.

Should I go for Hoosier R6 for equivalent longevity? Or try something different like BFG geForce R1 S?

Fitment on C5 Z06 speedline stock rims... Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For autocross, I found the Hoosier A6 was much grippier than the V710 but they don't last as long.

Another tire to consider is the Nitto NT01. They are less expensive and last a good while. I use them for local AX events and track days and I have been happy with the value.

My USD 0.02,

GJ

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE_VETTES

Should I go for Hoosier R6 for equivalent longevity? Or try something different like BFG geForce R1 S?

Fitment on C5 Z06 speedline stock rims... Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chin event at VIR? If so, I'll see you there

I really liked the v710s when I ran them. I have never tried the BFGs, but I can tell you the Hoosiers are great tires as well. You can expect that the R6 will last longer than their A6, with the tradeoff being a little less available grip.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the Goodyear RS-R. I used the v710, BFG, Hoosier A/R, etc and my favorite of the bunch was the Goodyear. It had great life. It wasn't as fast as the Hoosier R/A for a fast lap, but over the course of a run it was way more consistent for me and average lap times were actually faster.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/sports.html

Not sure what they offer in the way of size (I was running 17s on my C4) but give Competition Tire a call and they should be able to help you out.

http://www.competitiontire.com/

EDIT: Just saw your previous post. I ran the BFGs once and they were without a doubt the worst of the bunch. I actually took them off of the car after 1 day, switched to heat cycled out Hoosiers that I was carrying as spares and ran faster. I gave them away for free after that 1 day of use. That's how bad they were.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 02-25-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I have been reading, Goodyear pretty much exited the R-Comp market sometime last year. I can't find any mention of the RS-R in their current tire guide. Too bad. I had a set and they were pretty good. I was hoping the Goodyear tire would encourage Hoosier to release the R7 and A7, which are rumored to already exist.

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Check the Goodyear RS-R. I used the v710, BFG, Hoosier A/R, etc and my favorite of the bunch was the Goodyear. It had great life. It wasn't as fast as the Hoosier R/A for a fast lap, but over the course of a run it was way more consistent for me and average lap times were actually faster.

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/sports.html

Not sure what they offer in the way of size (I was running 17s on my C4) but give Competition Tire a call and they should be able to help you out.

http://www.competitiontire.com/

EDIT: Just saw your previous post. I ran the BFGs once and they were without a doubt the worst of the bunch. I actually took them off of the car after 1 day, switched to heat cycled out Hoosiers that I was carrying as spares and ran faster. I gave them away for free after that 1 day of use. That's how bad they were.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:46 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about used slicks from Todd at GT Tires? $100 each, faster then Kuhmo, last about as long. I did notice you asked for DOT, but are you racing? What are the class rules? He does have some DOT tires too.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:48 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Junkie
From what I have been reading, Goodyear pretty much exited the R-Comp market sometime last year.
Well that sucks. I hadn't kept up with the R-comp discussion since I started running scrubs.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a new set of tires....

Quick Reply: Need a new set of tires....