Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Racing Slicks - Need advice

Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Lars Rogers
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road Racing Slicks - Need advice

I've been autocrossing and some track days in various cars for over 10 years now. Mostly on Hoosier A6. I'm looking to grab a set of really sticky non-DOT full road racing slicks for a special Corvette-only autocross this year to see how they compare and to act as an exhibition car for the event.

Since full slicks aren't my forte, I'm looking for advice. I'm running 18x11 front and 18x13 rear wheels on a C6ZR1. The car gets driven by myself and my wife (Also very capable of handling the risks of massive grip). Courses are generally about a minute. The event will be in the summer, so getting "some" heat in the tires should be easy.

Need recommendations on manufacturer, size, and compound. If you know a good source, that helps as well. Obviously, they need to be grippier than A6's. If that's not an option, then I guess I'll stick with what I know.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Best tire I know of is the S9H compound that Michelin puts out. Pricy as hell and not suited for autocross unless you have some tire warmers. Grips like crazy though when warm. Costs more as well.

Finspeed can hook you up. They will fit on your rims.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The older Continental Slicks (GTO) used the Hoosier R6 compound. They are made for Continental by Hoosier. Not sure what the newer versions use for a compound. I buy used ones from Todd at GT Racing Tires (forum vendor). If you call him he may be able to provide more information. I have used the tires in an autocross and as Screaming Z says they need to be heated before they stick. The autocross I used them for was on a quarter mile Go Kart track and they didn't do well on the first lap but were great on the second lap.

Bill
Old 03-03-2014, 04:14 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Don't know that there is a slick that will get hot quick enough to outrun an A6 on an Autocross.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Slick

The Michelin S9H works with the ZR1 really very good that is correct.
The Hankook F200 DTM but also works very well, he is also very fast.
The big advantage, he lives longer and is slightly cheaper than the Michelin

I go with the ZR1
280 650 18
300 680 18

Cölestin
Old 03-03-2014, 04:44 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I agree with the responders above, so why don't you buy some "scrub" slicks from Forum vendor GT Racing Tires and try them out for yourself. They run from about $50ea to $200ea depending, and you can get some with only a few laps, or in some cases sticker tires which were only mounted.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Lars Rogers
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely, I will talk to GT about it. I already have an order building with them. I will talk to them about this as well.

My concern is there may be nothing out there faster than the A6 for 1 minute. Granted, I have to spray the crap out of my A6's to keep them cool enough in our summer heat. At some point, I just need to buy a set of slicks and find out for myself.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Conti tires are no where near as grippy as A6 tires, big waste of money for autocross, scrubs or new. There is a reason NASA doesn't penalize them like the real slicks. Best I can offer are Yokohama Advan A005 Super Softs, 300/650-18 for the front and 320/650/18 for the rear. Slicks cold will be slicker than any A6/R6 cold, but they will surpass them for overall grip once hot. Bob Woodman has the Yoks, they are $485/each.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Lars Rogers
I've been autocrossing and some track days in various cars for over 10 years now. Mostly on Hoosier A6. I'm looking to grab a set of really sticky non-DOT full road racing slicks for a special Corvette-only autocross this year to see how they compare and to act as an exhibition car for the event.

Since full slicks aren't my forte, I'm looking for advice. I'm running 18x11 front and 18x13 rear wheels on a C6ZR1. The car gets driven by myself and my wife (Also very capable of handling the risks of massive grip). Courses are generally about a minute. The event will be in the summer, so getting "some" heat in the tires should be easy.

Need recommendations on manufacturer, size, and compound. If you know a good source, that helps as well. Obviously, they need to be grippier than A6's. If that's not an option, then I guess I'll stick with what I know.
I have used a few different slicks (non dot). IMO nothing beats A6's. For autox.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Gonna Echo Everyone else... For sub 1 minutes auto-x, A6 is really the best game in town...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Don't know that there is a slick that will get hot quick enough to outrun an A6 on an Autocross.
What he said...
Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Conti tires are no where near as grippy as A6 tires, big waste of money for autocross, scrubs or new. There is a reason NASA doesn't penalize them like the real slicks. Best I can offer are Yokohama Advan A005 Super Softs, 300/650-18 for the front and 320/650/18 for the rear. Slicks cold will be slicker than any A6/R6 cold, but they will surpass them for overall grip once hot. Bob Woodman has the Yoks, they are $485/each.
If any slick will work in an autocross these would be the ones but I'm still not sure . A6 may be the best bet but the Super Soft Yokies stick like crazy with just a little heat.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Racing Slicks - Need advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Racing Slicks - Need advice