Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tranny cooler idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:23 AM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default New tranny cooler idea

I've been testing this setup for about 9 months now through 4 HPDEs at Sebring and Homestead. I used to get the transmission fluid overheating warning by the 3rd session, and could only run about 10 minutes on the 4th session of the day. Ambient temp didn't matter, January at Homestead (in the low 80s) was no better than June at Sebring (mid-90s).

With this setup, I did three straight sessions (60-70 minutes straight) at Sebring in December (mid-80s) with no issue, and ran all day at Homestead.

It's an air to oil cooler (Setrab plate design). It uses the space where the leaf spring used to be, along with a bottom scoop to pull air through it.

My car is an 07 Z06, so it's got built-in pumps and the fluid-fluid heat transfer setup for the differential fluid.

Monitoring the temp (using a DashLogic) shows track temps around 245 at the end of a session, and street temps around 195 (with highway temps or stop and go traffic not mattering all that much).

Here's a few pics:
Attached Images    
Old 03-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

That is too cool. Do you have any pics with the shield uninstalled, or is the cooler mounted to the shield?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 AM
parsonsj
Racer

The cooler is mounted to the shield/scoop. Without it the cooler just dangles...
Old 03-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Do you think there's enough room to cram a trans and diff cooler in there?
Old 03-08-2014, 01:14 PM
parsonsj
Racer

No, I don't think so. Or at least to keep the existing ground clearance, anyway.

I'm using the stock heat transfer cooler from the diff, so I'm keeping the tranny fluid cool, which keeps the diff fluid cool.

It would be nice to have some actual data on the differential temps though.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:08 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome.. I'm doing the same idea of a cooler different place though.. I was worried if the trans pump had enough oomfff to flow the fluid.. I guess there is no issue huh?!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 AM
parsonsj
Racer

The OEM pump is up to the job... it's designed to pump fluid to the radiator and then through the differential heat transfer block and back.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Wonder how much a larger radiator would have helped in cooling the transmission fluid? I haven't had issues with my C6Z but I did burn up a diff in my 97 due to overheating it at a track day. No whine before lots of whine after.

Bill
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Great idea!

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
That is too cool.
...you beat me to it!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 PM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill
Wonder how much a larger radiator would have helped in cooling the transmission fluid?
I'm already running a DeWitt's radiator with the built-in trans cooler. It wasn't up to the job here in the Florida heat. 3rd session, like clockwork, DIC warning would come on.

This method solved that.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:01 AM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice design! That is a nice clean way to add a trans cooler. Did it lower your engine coolant temps any? Seems like it may help slightly with coolant too since you eliminate the hot fluid from the radiator tank.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 AM
parsonsj
Racer

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
Did it lower your engine coolant temps any?
I didn't notice... my coolant temps weren't a problem, just the trans temp. But it would seem eliminating 280* fluid from the radiator would help it stay a bit cooler.

I'm wondering if I can use the old tranny cooler in the radiator for the power steering fluid, and get rid of the OEM "skin remover".

I've got a future project in mind to upgrade the front rack and PS pump to a TurnOne setup, and maybe I'll look into that. I'll need to add a sensor to test before and after temps though.

Get notified of new replies

To New tranny cooler idea

Quick Reply: New tranny cooler idea