Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on CCW Classic fitment and R-Compound tire choices for the track...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Need advice on CCW Classic fitment and R-Compound tire choices for the track...

Hey guys, I recently bought a set of 2nd hand CCW Classics. The buyer advertised them as 17x10.5 and 17x11.5 but when I received them, they were actually 17x11.5 front and 17x12.5 rear... The tires that are mounted on them are old/ worn out 315/35/17 and 335/35/17 Kumho Victoracers.

For testing purposes, I bolted them on the car and drove around town to listen for signs of rubbing. I thought as a minimum they would rub on the rear brake ducts, but they do not. Occasionally (not always) they will rub at full lock in the front, I'm guessing against the control arm.

The wheels stick out past the fenders just a little bit, but from what I've seen from C5 track cars running CCW Classics, this is normal.

I plan to replace the Victoracers with Hoosier R6 315/35/17 front and 335/35/17 rear. Does anyone see a problem with this setup? I want to make sure I don't run into serious rubbing issues at the track.

I'm not too worried about the rubbing at full lock at the front because I won't ever be at full lock at an HPDE event...

Here are a couple pictures of how the wheels look/ sit:

Old 03-08-2014, 05:17 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The rim width is measured on the inside of the bead, so if you measured over the outside subtract about 1" to get the rim width.

My C5 Z06 is lowered on the stock bolts and have run a similar setup without rubbing on fenders. It may rub at full lock, but if that happens on track, I have a much bigger problem...
Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

315/335 Hoosiers is basically the standard setup for a lot of people, nothing wrong with it at all.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Thanks guys. The measurements I took were in fact inside the bead, just the way that john @ ccw says to do, so they are in fact 11.5 front / 12.5 rear. What widths is everyone running on their track ccw? For my street ccws I was thinking of going to a 10" front and running a 295 so I don't rub at lock and it might make it easier to get in and out of driveways, but I'm not sure because NO ONE besides kumho makes a 295/35/17 and I really love the look of 17" classics on a c5
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Voytek
Team Owner

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

hows the ride with 315s in the front
Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Originally Posted by Voytek
hows the ride with 315s in the front
Well I changed a lot at the same time... pfadt sways with spherical endlinks, Pfadt inverted shocks, etc etc and the tires that came with the wheels are old as f**k shaved/ rock hard Kumho Victoracers so I can't really make any sort of accurate comparison. But the first thing I noticed was not that the front rode rough... R compound tires will tramline / follow the grooves in the road worse than a conventional radial, that's a given. I plan to get a 2nd set of CCW street wheels and I'm undecided on whether to go 10" in front (and run a 295) or 11" in front (and run a 315). With my current road race classics with the 315's in front, the wheel rubs at full lock. I'm not going wheel to wheel on my way to work so the difference in grip/ handling between a 295 and 315 is negligible on the street. The bummer is that there are NO 295/35/17 regular radial tire options besides Kumho Ecsta XS and I don't even know if they make those anymore. Can anyone confirm? I also think that if I go down to an 11" wheel in front (compared to my 11.5" track wheels), that maybe they won't rub and then I can run a 315. Would love to hear from anyone who is running 315's in front and what offset/ width their CCW's are...
Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 PM
luke87gt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, you sure you are measuring the rims right?

Usually if you measure from lip to lip, you have to take off an inch from that since each side (lip) account for about 0.5" on US manufactured wheels and 0.375" on Euro manufactured wheels.

For example, a 16x7 "Pony" will measure 8" from lip to lip.

*EDIT: from your post above it looks like you measured correctly.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Originally Posted by luke87gt
Chris, you sure you are measuring the rims right?

Usually if you measure from lip to lip, you have to take off an inch from that since each side (lip) account for about 0.5" on US manufactured wheels and 0.375" on Euro manufactured wheels.

For example, a 16x7 "Pony" will measure 8" from lip to lip.

*EDIT: from your post above it looks like you measured correctly.
Luke, yes I measured them correctly on the inside of the lip, not the outer most point of the lip. The wheels would be 17x12, 17x13 if I measured on the outside of the lip.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on CCW Classic fitment and R-Compound tire choices for the track...

Quick Reply: Need advice on CCW Classic fitment and R-Compound tire choices for the track...