Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB fron OEM 17" polished thinspoke wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:04 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default WTB fron OEM 17" polished thinspoke wheel

Maybe someone is upgrading wants to get rid of their stock rims?

Wifes C5 vert broke a wheel

Need one 17' OEM front polished thin spoke. If I have to, i will buy a set, but money is tight

let me know!

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
Maybe someone is upgrading wants to get rid of their stock rims?

Wifes C5 vert broke a wheel

Need one 17' OEM front polished thin spoke. If I have to, i will buy a set, but money is tight

let me know!

Thanks!
If that is a forged thin spoke that came on the 00-02 cars you will probably have a problem finding a matching wheel. A lot of them cracked and I think GM went to cast wheels in 03. I know their replacement wheels were all cast wheels in 04. The cast wheels had thicker spokes. Can't tell until you put the two different wheels next to each other and then it is obvious the cast wheel's spokes are thicker.

Bill
Old 03-11-2014, 08:45 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If that is a forged thin spoke that came on the 00-02 cars you will probably have a problem finding a matching wheel. A lot of them cracked and I think GM went to cast wheels in 03. I know their replacement wheels were all cast wheels in 04. The cast wheels had thicker spokes. Can't tell until you put the two different wheels next to each other and then it is obvious the cast wheel's spokes are thicker.

Bill
Thanks Bill, let me know if you run across any. Pretty sure mine are 2004's. any markings on them? ie serial numbers, stamps vs molded insignia etc ?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Thanks Bill, let me know if you run across any. Pretty sure mine are 2004's. any markings on them? ie serial numbers, stamps vs molded insignia etc ?
There are some Vette only scrap yards, I would google them & make some calls, like Bill said the original thin spokes cracked a lot, not even under race conditions. I would not put a used one of them back on. If you have original thin's I'd get rid of them all. The later thicker ones are OK but still not a really strong wheel.

I think the thins had a sharp edge to the spoke & the thicker's had a rounded edge (but I could be off on that).

Old 03-12-2014, 05:11 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by froggy47
There are some Vette only scrap yards, I would google them & make some calls, like Bill said the original thin spokes cracked a lot, not even under race conditions. I would not put a used one of them back on. If you have original thin's I'd get rid of them all. The later thicker ones are OK but still not a really strong wheel.

I think the thins had a sharp edge to the spoke & the thicker's had a rounded edge (but I could be off on that).

that is great info. i was thinking about putting an old set of 4 rear thin spokes on for rain tires for the track, I am not doing that now!

but for the street, there just fine i drive like an old man fudy dudy on the street, prob because I am hahahahaaa!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

that is great info. i was thinking about putting an old set of 4 rear thin spokes on for rain tires for the track, I am not doing that now!

but for the street, there just fine i drive like an old man fudy dudy on the street, prob because I am hahahahaaa!

Get notified of new replies

To WTB fron OEM 17" polished thinspoke wheel

Quick Reply: WTB fron OEM 17" polished thinspoke wheel