Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech has been bought by EcoMotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:40 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default Katech has been bought by EcoMotors

Below is a link to the Katech site with a little bit of info:

http://www.katechengines.com

It says "Tony Mannarino has been appointed CEO of Katech with former CEO John F. (Fritz) Kayl maintaining a consulting role with the company. Under EM, Katech will continue to operate as the Katech brand, maintaining it's current business operations and staff".

It sounds like nobody will be losing their job - at least let's hope not!!

Bob
Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Below is a link to the Katech site with a little bit of info:

http://www.katechengines.com

It says "Tony Mannarino has been appointed CEO of Katech with former CEO John F. (Fritz) Kayl maintaining a consulting role with the company. Under EM, Katech will continue to operate as the Katech brand, maintaining it's current business operations and staff".

It sounds like nobody will be losing their job - at least let's hope not!!

Bob
Quite the opposite. We'll probably be hiring soon.

More here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...rm-katech.html
Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Bill Gates backed EM, huh?

How many race teams does Bill Gates own? Oh that's right, none. He could own them ALL. One of the biggest, richest, eco nuts on the planet.

Well I do wish good luck, but.....

Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Rather than just buying "time" at a company like Katech, they just decided to buy the company... I guess if you have the resources and can afford it, then go for it.

Unfortunately most small companies like this are a direct reflection of their owners. That is, they are successful because the owner is smart and assembles a team of highly dedicated and experienced folks who get the job done. Often after the business is sold the new owners turn it over to a "management team" who find a way to muck it up. While the original owner is now retained as a "consultant" he may not have the power to run the place like he did before. Hope it all goes well and goes forward as it did before. Katech was doing some interesting stuff and lets hope that continues.

Also unfortunately the folks buying Katech have their pet project which is a "unique" engine configuration. I've had to evaluate a number of such engines in my past life and most of them don't really pass muster. Fundamental problems like sealing or lubrication often doom these types of engines and in the end we go back to what works because that evolved over 100 years or more and was the sum product of a lot of combined engineering and trial and error.

This one for instance has a lot of "monkey motion" going on to try eliminate valves, that most likely limits the speed at which the engine can operate. Moreover there are problems with piston porting having to do with the temperature of the cylinder wall near the exhaust port that tends to cause wear and piston sticking issues that are very hard to solve. That said, if anybody can solve those problems Katech probably can, but it's not trivial and I expect that there will be a lot of gnashing off teeth before that engine becomes a household name.

OTOH, having a big program like that in house is like money in the bank for the workers so that's not so bad either.

All in all it's like the Chinese curse.. "may you live in interesting times"
Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I always like it when a new engine comes out.
http://www.ecomotors.com/technology

Engine Design

Opposed-Piston Opposed-Cylinder Engine

This patented design creates a ground-breaking internal combustion engine family architecture that will run on a number of different fuels, including gasoline, diesel and ethanol. The opoc's new opposed piston-opposed cylinder direct gas exchange operation provides the well known emissions benefit of 4-cycle engines, the simplicity benefits of 2-cycle engines, the power density of the less well known opposed piston engine, and the extraordinary developments in computer and thermodynamics all tied together in a new and proprietary engine architecture. It comprises two opposing cylinders per module, with a crankshaft between them, each cylinder has two pistons moving in opposite directions. This innovative design configuration eliminates the cylinder-head and valve-train components of conventional engines, offering an efficient, compact and simple core engine structure. The result is an engine family that is lighter, more efficient and economical, with lower exhaust emissions. Here you can see this revolutionary engine in operation, which helps to illustrate the simplicity, elegance and compactness of its design.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Solofast
Rather than just buying "time" at a company like Katech, they just decided to buy the company... I guess if you have the resources and can afford it, then go for it.

Unfortunately most small companies like this are a direct reflection of their owners. That is, they are successful because the owner is smart and assembles a team of highly dedicated and experienced folks who get the job done. Often after the business is sold the new owners turn it over to a "management team" who find a way to muck it up. While the original owner is now retained as a "consultant" he may not have the power to run the place like he did before. Hope it all goes well and goes forward as it did before. Katech was doing some interesting stuff and lets hope that continues.

Also unfortunately the folks buying Katech have their pet project which is a "unique" engine configuration. I've had to evaluate a number of such engines in my past life and most of them don't really pass muster. Fundamental problems like sealing or lubrication often doom these types of engines and in the end we go back to what works because that evolved over 100 years or more and was the sum product of a lot of combined engineering and trial and error.

This one for instance has a lot of "monkey motion" going on to try eliminate valves, that most likely limits the speed at which the engine can operate. Moreover there are problems with piston porting having to do with the temperature of the cylinder wall near the exhaust port that tends to cause wear and piston sticking issues that are very hard to solve. That said, if anybody can solve those problems Katech probably can, but it's not trivial and I expect that there will be a lot of gnashing off teeth before that engine becomes a household name.

OTOH, having a big program like that in house is like money in the bank for the workers so that's not so bad either.

All in all it's like the Chinese curse.. "may you live in interesting times"
As long as I'm running the aftermarket department you have nothing to worry about.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-13-2014, 03:09 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
As long as I'm running the aftermarket department you have nothing to worry about.
I hope they don't screw with you Jason. You guys have made fantastic, reliable products for a long time now. Tell them to leave your side alone and all will be fine.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by 427ZM
I hope they don't screw with you Jason. You guys have made fantastic, reliable products for a long time now. Tell them to leave your side alone and all will be fine.
I'm not worried. Tony Mannarino is a performance guy himself and loves what we're doing. He used to work at Saleen and was involved with the S7. Maybe we'll have a little bio on him soon.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 PM
427ZM
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I'm not worried. Tony Mannarino is a performance guy himself and loves what we're doing. He used to work at Saleen and was involved with the S7. Maybe we'll have a little bio on him soon.
That'd probably make some of us claim down a little. Personally, I'm just a big believer in the Katech brand... I'm running your LS9X clutch on my new 434, along w/ your coil relo kit and valve covers.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:33 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

They looking to put the new engine in aircraft?

Big market if they can pull it off

Would let them run Jet A in light aircraft.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech has been bought by EcoMotors

Quick Reply: Katech has been bought by EcoMotors