Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Save Texas World Speedway!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:36 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Save Texas World Speedway!

http://wtaw.com/2014/03/13/plans-to-...ned-community/

I hope this does not pass, but it likely will. Hopefully we can save such a great and historic racetrack from being destroyed.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:31 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Been there, nice track

The placement never worked out.

Half way between Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston
Old 03-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't see how this would happen unless NASCAR wants it to happen.

Not really a "historic" track in NASCAR terms but it is a great track.

I never really liked it watching on TV but when I saw a race there I was in awe of the place. The guy that set me up with "hot" passes told me they qualified near 200 MPH. I said it's a 1.5 mile track dude you're mistaken...but he wasn't.

He also told me the track has the NASCAR record for attendance. I said it's a 1.5 mile track dude you're mistaken...but he wasn't. I don't know how they get more people in there than Talladega...but they do.

I think, but don't know (I'm not from the area) that between big D and Ft. Worth would be an ideal location (Houston? is hundreds of miles away)

With all the land in TX why would developers want to start a land purchase by spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a huge sports complex and then millions to demo it?????????????

Doesn't seem like a great business plan to me.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Been there, nice track

The placement never worked out.

Half way between Dallas/Ft Worth and Houston
Isn't Austin halfway between Dallas and Houston?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:35 AM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
Isn't Austin halfway between Dallas and Houston?
TWS is about an hour away from Houston, maybe an hour and a half from Austin and about three hours away from Dallas. It's a great track, very fun. The 2.9 mile roval is what is used the majority of the time. There is usually some sort of grass roots racing or HPDE's there about every weekend. I'm actually going to be corner working this weekend for Porsche Club races there. I would imagine the hotels and restaurants in town would not like the sound of this either, of course A&M is here, so it may not effect them much. It will really be a shame if it goes, it's such a unique track with lots of history.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:50 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Isn't that the one with the roval where you brake sideways off the banking? If so, it's on my list of tracks I REALLY want to drive.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 AM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is some confusion between Texas MOTOR Speedway (TMS) which is currently in use by the NASCAR organization and Texas WORLD Speedway (TWS), which is just outside College Station, north of Houston. My local track, TWS, is slated for the chopping block.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanPendleton
I think there is some confusion between Texas MOTOR Speedway (TMS) which is currently in use by the NASCAR organization and Texas WORLD Speedway (TWS), which is just outside College Station, north of Houston. My local track, TWS, is slated for the chopping block.
Yep. I believe NASCAR ran at TWS many, many years ago before TMS was built. The stands at TWS were condemned a long time ago and it now hosts HPDE, NASA, SCCA, etc... club events only.

TMS isn't going anywhere anytime soon. TWS has been on the chopping block for a while from what I've heard. I was planning on getting my competition license there with NASA this year. Hopefully that still happens.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 PM
soonerbillz
1st Gear

Hey all!
Just a heads up... help us save the track! we are hoping maybe to get the council to at least listen to us all...

http://soonerbillz.com/SaveTWS/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-...27?ref=tn_tnmn
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by soonerbillz
Hey all!
Just a heads up... help us save the track! we are hoping maybe to get the council to at least listen to us all...

I signed it. City councils think in terms of revenue. Guess which scenario will generate more revenue? I'm not happy about losing the track, but follow the money and you can see where this is likely going. I admire the fight, but our voices will likely be drowned out by $$ the city will get from the new development.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

TWS is my home track.
When it goes, there's little point in me owning a track car any longer...sad to think about.

Looking on the bright side..if the development takes as long as COTA to permit, TWS will be safe for my life time.

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 03-14-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BryanPendleton

Yep, my bad. I was thinking TMS not TWS...not familiar with TWS.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:49 PM
racer327
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default TWS is a great club track

I have been racing at TWS for about 30 years and in my opinion it is the safest place to go really fast that I have ever raced. TWS is a real road course and there is no better road course based on an oval track, TMS, MIS and Daytona don't compare. It would be a shame if we lost it. Unfortunately I don't think racers carry much weight with government and developers.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:32 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I've been "saving" it for years. I race there with CVAR.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:34 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I signed the petition and posted it to my FaceBook page to let my racer friends know...

It would be tragic to lose TWS...I LOVED running the white beast there!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Isn't that the one with the roval where you brake sideways off the banking? If so, it's on my list of tracks I REALLY want to drive.
Yes this is it! Its not quite braking sidways off the banking.. Kind of looks like T1 at Daytona not that I've ever run there. Running TWS in the CCW direction in a decent powered Vet you will hit 155mph on the high bank straight. I do not have aero nor the huevos to not go maintenance throttle to turn down off the banking into T1.. It takes large huevos still to wait until the car recovers from the bounce onto the flat apron to finally hit the brakes. Braking starts around 140mph and you must get it to about 100mph (for setup for T2) all while turning slightly, and then use the rest of the turn in to T2 to scrub the last 10mph for the apex at T2 at ~90mph at the apex. Floor it in 4th, track out and enjoy the infield. Just an awesome track. I just started running it 4 years ago, my 18yo son will get to try it for the first time in April and now I'm bummed to tell him this may be the only year he can drive it.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by soonerbillz
Hey all!

Signed and shared. There were two race groups of about 50 cars each as well as two HPDE groups today for the Porsche Club race practice, looks like another great weekend of racing ahead.

Get notified of new replies

To Save Texas World Speedway!

Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Yes this is it! Its not quite braking sidways off the banking.. Kind of looks like T1 at Daytona not that I've ever run there. Running TWS in the CCW direction in a decent powered Vet you will hit 155mph on the high bank straight. I do not have aero nor the huevos to not go maintenance throttle to turn down off the banking into T1.. It takes large huevos still to wait until the car recovers from the bounce onto the flat apron to finally hit the brakes. Braking starts around 140mph and you must get it to about 100mph (for setup for T2) all while turning slightly, and then use the rest of the turn in to T2 to scrub the last 10mph for the apex at T2 at ~90mph at the apex. Floor it in 4th, track out and enjoy the infield. Just an awesome track. I just started running it 4 years ago, my 18yo son will get to try it for the first time in April and now I'm bummed to tell him this may be the only year he can drive it.
Turn one is in a league of its own. You can save a ton of time by waiting to brake on the flat apron, after the transition. It is pretty scary the first few times you do it.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 PM
akcraig85
Instructor

For what it's worth we need to sign the petition.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:08 PM
damenh85
Advanced

Signed. I sure hope this track survives; really great track just a short drive away for those of us in Houston.

Quick Reply: Save Texas World Speedway!