Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with EOC - where do you route the WSS lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default People with EOC - where do you route the WSS lines?

C5Z, I am using the usual DRM line adapter and pulling the AN10 lines forward through the gap between the engine mount and the block. The lines out of the adapter are snug against the block as well.

There is no way the front wheel speed sensor harness is going to fit through there anymore. Everything else I try puts the harness right on the headers. What are you guys doing with it?

I am basically at the point where I am going to route the harness along the frame on the driver side, then lengthen the right side wires and take then across the cradle as usual to the passenger side hub. It's a robust current signal so I'm not worried about the extra length (TWSS) but it's not my favorite option.

Suggestions?

Last edited by ScaryFast; 03-26-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:04 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure why you are having a fitment issue with that setup, I have the same on my c5z and everything fits. I even have a plastic wire loom wrapped around each SS line for a little added protection. It is snug, but there is still some wiggle room.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should not have to move that harness. Jack up that side of the engine to help with the install. After that like said before snug but doable.

Randy
Old 03-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Remember my ABS issue last year? It happened right after I ran new oil cooler lines from the engine to the radiator, through that small opening. You can do it, just keep an eye on the wires so they don't short out on the block. ;-)
Old 03-27-2014, 09:18 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

It's just a PITA to get in there since the assembly is nearly complete. I should have mentioned I have the orange Aeroquip rubber sleeve on the oil lines as well, makes it even tighter. I'll play around with it again, this would have been easier when it was all apart but this section of the harness was zip tied up out of the way during engine install and I missed it.

I haven't ever had ABS on a race car, I guess it wasn't something I was paying attention to
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

My oil cooler lines went up and over the bat wing and out the front of the cradle. Slid right through with plenty of space. The pictures show the lines coming off the oil filter adapter, the lines at the top of the next picture running over the top of the bat wing and in the third picture coming out by the front stabilizer bar where they went to my remote oil filter and thermostatic bypass valve and then to the cooler.

Bill
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If I were you Bill I would build some sort of a shield for that oil filter. It really seems exposed in that location.
Ask Oli about his NASA National championship race in 2010, punctured oil filter took him out of the race that year and that was in the stock location.
Just a thought take it for what it's worth.

Cisler, I wouldn't cut and extend the wires, have a couple of Spotted Cows, get out a pinch bar and start moving things around. You may have to loosen the LH motor mount and jack up the engine to get more room to work with. But I'm sure you can squeeze everything through there. I always put the fire sleeve over the hoses and still get everything through.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:27 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Pfadt engine mounts which give you a good bit more room. I also have my oil cooler lines in a DEI heat sleeve where they run along the block and that wiring harness.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:27 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Joel, Your answer sounds like work...

Last edited by ScaryFast; 03-28-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,725 Likes on 932 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Joel, Your answer sounds like work...
Bring it down to Ohio and pay me to do it! You can drink the beer in the fridge and watch.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:36 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Is it moo cow beer?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kubs
Bring it down to Ohio and pay me to do it! You can drink the beer in the fridge and watch.
If he did that he might have one car that could make it through a weekend instead of 3 cars in various states of disrepair.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,725 Likes on 932 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Is it moo cow beer?
No it is various types left by others at my house.

Originally Posted by Scooter70
If he did that he might have one car that could make it through a weekend instead of 3 cars in various states of disrepair.
I have a hard enough time with the 1. On second thought, you better just leave it with me Jon and Ill take good care of it.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

FWIW,
My install thraed that shows some routing.........
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...t-install.html
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

So turns out we are all correct and I am not crazy. Spent two hours Saturday trying to route the harness every way possible and it just didn't reach.

So I went to MySR71's place and inspected his vehicle and realized that I am missing the jumper harnesses from the body harness to the WSS itself. It will make it a lot easier with that extra 18" of wire per side...

On a slightly scary note, I was able to make the harness reach without those two jumpers. The routing is tenuous, though, hence this thread's existence. Thanks for all your help, guys.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Car #1 - I drove it to work today.
Car #2 - in excellent working order and resting comfortably under a cover. It makes a fine table.
Car #3 - On the ground as of yesterday and at Mitch's for the windshield. It will make its debut in two weeks at GMan. You'll know it as the one that drops off various bolts as it passes you because they were not properly torqued down.

So IN YOUR FACE!

Car #2 still leaks a lot of oil, though.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

So I went to MySR71's place and inspected his vehicle and realized that I am missing the jumper harnesses from the body harness to the WSS itself. It will make it a lot easier with that extra 18" of wire per side...

I have a spare that I cut (with a rotor) and then soldered together if you need to borrow it.

Car #1 - I drove it to work today.
Car #2 - in excellent working order and resting comfortably under a cover. It makes a fine table.
Car #3 - On the ground as of yesterday and at Mitch's for the windshield. It will make its debut in two weeks at GMan. You'll know it as the one that drops off various bolts as it passes you because they were not properly torqued down.

So IN YOUR FACE!
I probably won't be there so my windshield is safe. Make sure that you have enough brake pad to make it through 10 without using the outside grass.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
If I were you Bill I would build some sort of a shield for that oil filter. It really seems exposed in that location.
Ask Oli about his NASA National championship race in 2010, punctured oil filter took him out of the race that year and that was in the stock location.
Just a thought take it for what it's worth.

Cisler, I wouldn't cut and extend the wires, have a couple of Spotted Cows, get out a pinch bar and start moving things around. You may have to loosen the LH motor mount and jack up the engine to get more room to work with. But I'm sure you can squeeze everything through there. I always put the fire sleeve over the hoses and still get everything through.
I worried about that filter from 2000 when I got the radiator/EOC/filter until I took it off the second car in 09. It actually was tucked up a little behind the lower part of the radiator bracket but if ever had an off track excursion into the kitty litter it probably would have come apart. It did survive a couple of course excursions when I was doing an autocross at a Go Kart track.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To People with EOC - where do you route the WSS lines?

Quick Reply: People with EOC - where do you route the WSS lines?