Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZFrog Rollcage build thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 PM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ZFrog Rollcage build thread

This thread is about a rollcage build for my 02 Z06. I have tried to document all the major steps involved in building the cage as well as the design decisions as the information is spread about everywhere on various forums.
For the cage itself, there are some choices you can make but if you want to build an SCCA/NASA compliant cage, there are not that many options. I have attached pdf documents with the design options I have made for the cage (all pictures shamelessly taken from this forum or other places on the net!).

For starters, you need to gut the car. Here is a video showing the process of what is involved:

Some of the relevant threads for the various aspects of gutting the car:
- Dashboard removal: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...d-install.html
- Steering wheel/airbag removal:
- Door panel removal: http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...or_handle.html
- Sun visor removal: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...placement.html
- Gas tank removal: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-come-out.html
- Evap canister removal: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-canister.html

Some good cage building threads:
- Rollcage and dash bar discussion: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-dash-bar.html
- Rollcage build thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-progress.html
- Door bars thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...or-cage-2.html
- Windowless car & transport: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...as-needed.html

I will update this thread as the cage build makes progress and also document the post-build tasks!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by lefrog; 04-14-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added link to windowless car & transport
Old 04-13-2014, 01:29 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Great detail and info. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the results!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 PM
lefrog
Racer

Update 1

The door bars will have to go inside the doors and therefore I had to remove the doors and cut the panels.
The mounting plates are getting ready to be put on the car!

Here is the video:
Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 AM
FRC Z51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent write-up & information. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:39 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sub'd

Just ordered the DOM tubing for mine today...
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM
lefrog
Racer

Here is an update on the cage. It's almost done, some final adjustments to come but almost everything is there:

Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Nice progress! How'd you do your Forward bars? There's something weird about the pictures, almost looks like there's a joint near the top of the windshield in some pictures, but then they look continuous in others.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:33 PM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Nice progress! How'd you do your Forward bars? There's something weird about the pictures, almost looks like there's a joint near the top of the windshield in some pictures, but then they look continuous in others.
I have a middle bar in the center of the roof. My builder recommended it to have it this way rather than diagonal as I will occasionally take passengers and don't want a bar over anyone's head.

For the front bar, it just goes around the gauge console and the heater (note that the HUD won't fit anymore). Here is another view:
Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM
LateBreak
Pro

That picture helps a lot, I think the top of the A-pillar was overlapping the tube in your other pictures which made it confusing.

I'm in the same boat for carrying passengers, but I also want to maintain the center hardtop latch and a center bar would interfere. I'm not required to have anything up there but would like to do something now so I don't risk having to cut it up to do the install later. Is it SCCA that's requiring a bar in the halo?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM
lefrog
Racer

I'm in the same boat for carrying passengers, but I also want to maintain the center hardtop latch and a center bar would interfere. I'm not required to have anything up there but would like to do something now so I don't risk having to cut it up to do the install later. Is it SCCA that's requiring a bar in the halo?
Not it is not an SCCA requirement but my builder recommended it. A diagonal bar would have been much harder for him to weld as I still had the roof on (fixed roof on a Z06). It should be much easier if you can remove the hardtop to put any kind of diagonal bar.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:52 PM
lefrog
Racer

Here are some updates. The cage is now completed, just added reinforcement bars from the door bars to the a-pillar bars:

A detail of what is happening behind the driver seat where the main hoop is attached:

Note the cut in the back to be able to brace the plate. Here is an outside view where you can see the cut in the fender well just on top of the frame:

On the passenger side, the diagonal was welded at the bottom of the frame and even with the bend it was in the way of the gas tank. Be careful to keep the area clear for the gas tank:

JN Phillips installed the new windshield for $221 (glass and install at home!):

For the windows, I made a simple clamp that I insert from the top of the door and just rest the window on it, it's super simple and works great. I'll put some more info after I shoot a video of it.

Here is how it looks like with the seats in:

Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

cars's going to be a lot of fun

good luck with the door-to-door
Old 05-23-2014, 11:51 AM
lefrog
Racer

As promised, the video showing the brackets I made to use the stock door windows for transportation:
Old 05-23-2014, 12:12 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Looks great!

One quick bit of constructive criticism, you should really think about mounting the bottom of your window net to the cage rather than the door, in a bad wreck when the net is needed it will easily pull the rivets out of the fiberglass door. The easy way to mount it to the cage is to run straps from the bottom mounting rod down and around the door bar, this gives you an adjustable solution without having to weld anything onto the cage.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:18 PM
lefrog
Racer

Looks great!

One quick bit of constructive criticism, you should really think about mounting the bottom of your window net to the cage rather than the door, in a bad wreck when the net is needed it will easily pull the rivets out of the fiberglass door. The easy way to mount it to the cage is to run straps from the bottom mounting rod down and around the door bar, this gives you an adjustable solution without having to weld anything onto the cage.
I completely agree and this is the plan. My cage builder did this but I am not happy with the solution. The rules say that it has to resist to 50lbs on load which it does but it won't hold much in case of a crash. Plus it's a pain as you can't open the door if the net is attached.
As the door bar is really deep into the door, I have to find a safe routing for the straps without interference on the top of the door.
This is on top of my todo list with the kill switch wiring! Also cage padding needs to be done too!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:31 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks like there are too many bends on the main forward driver's side bar ("front hoop"). Looks like 6. Max for NASA is 4. Looks like SCCA is open.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 PM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
It looks like there are too many bends on the main forward driver's side bar ("front hoop"). Looks like 6. Max for NASA is 4. Looks like SCCA is open.
The tubing is too small for NASA too. The car is currently over 3000lbs and the tubing is 1.750” x 0.095” which is good for SCCA.

Get notified of new replies

To ZFrog Rollcage build thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:44 AM
lefrog
Racer

Also made a video for the kill switch wiring:
Old 05-29-2014, 04:11 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

May I ask the approximate cost and how do they paint it?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:07 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

How did you do last weekend?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZFrog Rollcage build thread