Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me analyze my tire wear & adjust alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me analyze my tire wear & adjust alignment

I have a 2003 Z06 that I’ve own for three years with a factory alignment. The current tires are Michelin PS2s that the previous owner put on in 2008. I just ordered some new PS2s that will be mounted this week. My plans for the car this year are to drive it mostly on nice days with a few of long trips possible, do 6 to 8 autocross events, and maybe 1 or 2 HPDE track days at Watkins Glen.

The attached pictures show how the tires have worn with the existing set-up over the last 5 or 6 years. According to the wear pattern in the pictures, what do you recommend for my new alignment based upon my intended use for the car? More negative camber maybe?

Front inside edge:

Front outside edge:

Front full view:

Rear inside edge:

Rear outside edge:

Rear full view:
Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

If you've done autocross and DE with those tires and they have been on there for 5-6 years you've more than gotten your money's worth on those. You really haven't stated what you are trying accomplish by changing your alignment. You can add more negative camber. I think you will be lucky to get about -1.7 to 2.0 without removing upper A arm washers. The question becomes whether you are looking for more performance or more even wear? If you are expecting to repeat 5-6 years of use out of a set of tires I would leave it at stock settings. Once you get more aggressive you will compromise tire wear.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

As Hi Volts Z06 has already stated, if you want to go fast during an autocross event, you will need more negative camber, more rear toe-in, and you can disconnect your front stabilizer during the event. Caution - Reconnect the stabilizer bar before returning to street driving.

If you want to increase your tire wear and fuel economy you need a completely different set of alignment settings. Over the past 9 years a group of us have developed a set of specs that will generally significantly improve the tire wear of C5s, C6s, and C7s. This alignment needs to be performed by an experienced technician using a laser alignment machine:

This is one area of a Corvette where you can't have good tire wear and extreme handling with the same alignment setting.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Buy some decent tires - Proxies would be a nice choice.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for more even tire wear more that anything else. The outside edges of the front tires are noticeably more worn than the inside edges. I know I won't get 6 years out of the new set of tires, but until I can manage to get a separate set of track wheels/tires, the PS2s will have to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me analyze my tire wear & adjust alignment

Quick Reply: Help me analyze my tire wear & adjust alignment