Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Extremely Versatile C5/C6 Seat Mounting Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:09 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default New Extremely Versatile C5/C6 Seat Mounting Bracket

Pictures of our new prototype seat mounting bracket are below. We believe it will quickly be recognized as the most versatile, easiest to use system for installing aftermarket seats in a C5 or C6. Sliders can be mounted to it but even without them seats can be adjusted forward or back and in and out WHILE IN THE CAR. The floor bracket is slotted side to side and our custom side mounts front to rear, so the seat can be adjusted in any direction. The bolts we provide will keep the slots aligned so all you’ll need is a wrench to snug it down where needed. If multiple drivers use the car at a track but you prefer not to use sliders, this can be your answer. Loosen from under the seat, readjust and tighten.

We will test fit in a C6 soon but the goal is to provide a flat surface just above the carpet (with some massive wiring harnesses underneath that many hate having to relocate) for the seat to slide on. We have not added any o/e belt mounting points because the best position for them would depend on the seat used and positioning. A piece of angle iron or similar could easily be welded on from the underside of the bracket once you determine the best position. If we find a location that works in most cases we will build it into the bracket. More on that to come. We will have a package price that includes our new rear restraint mounting bracket below.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:52 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by marrad
Pictures of our new prototype seat mounting bracket are below. We believe it will quickly be recognized as the most versatile, easiest to use system for installing aftermarket seats in a C5 or C6. Sliders can be mounted to it but even without them seats can be adjusted forward or back and in and out WHILE IN THE CAR. The floor bracket is slotted side to side and our custom side mounts front to rear, so the seat can be adjusted in any direction. The bolts we provide will keep the slots aligned so all you’ll need is a wrench to snug it down where needed. If multiple drivers use the car at a track but you prefer not to use sliders, this can be your answer. Loosen from under the seat, readjust and tighten.

We will test fit in a C6 soon but the goal is to provide a flat surface just above the carpet (with some massive wiring harnesses underneath that many hate having to relocate) for the seat to slide on. We have not added any o/e belt mounting points because the best position for them would depend on the seat used and positioning. A piece of angle iron or similar could easily be welded on from the underside of the bracket once you determine the best position. If we find a location that works in most cases we will build it into the bracket. More on that to come. We will have a package price that includes our new rear restraint mounting bracket below.

Nice looking mounts! any idea on pricing? It would be great to include some sort of belt hookup into the bracket. JD
Old 04-19-2014, 09:06 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Nice looking mounts! any idea on pricing? It would be great to include some sort of belt hookup into the bracket. JD
I'm expecting the floor bracket, side mounts and hardware to be about $329 powder coated black. If we had enough interest to make a large enough volume at one time it could be less. I plan a package with the rear restraint mount for $379 or less. We will need to have C5 and C6 versions to add belt mounts, but that is being looked into.

The prototyped weighs about 17 lbs. We should be able to shave a pound or two but not much more. We are not going for lightweight with these, but strength and adjustability. We can already make a much lighter machined aluminum bracket for those in need, as shown below.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks really interesting.
C6 Z06.
Would need stock belt attachment points as well.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:36 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you do any impact testing? might those side pieces move forward with 200lb in a seat in a frontal impact?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
you do any impact testing? might those side pieces move forward with 200lb in a seat in a frontal impact?
The belts are what hold the weight in a front impact. The brackets mostly need to survive the weight of the seat and not the weight of the driver. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
The belts are what hold the weight in a front impact. The brackets mostly need to survive the weight of the seat and not the weight of the driver. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
What would happen if you spun 180 degrees and hit the wall tail first? Belts won't help you there, that's the seats job.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:32 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I can't say for a certainty but if they were tightened down properly I wouldn't think so. There may be ways to add some additional stops once the desired seat position is determined.

This will be just one bracket setup available. The base is designed to accept sliders and conventional side mounts (with the slots in the bottom going side to side). We are also having more machined aluminum brackets like above made.

We expect most of these items in July.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:56 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

please advise when available. I am interested in going to a fixed bracket from my Arizen sliders. Need lap, sub (2), and stock belt attachment points for my application in a c5. Looks interesting, I'd prefer to see drilled holes in those side pieces for fwd/aft adjustment though I realize that negates your selling point of adjusting while seat is in the car. but that's not too important to me.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:19 AM
gunluvS14
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very smart design.
However will you guys consider adding a row of locational pin holes? So the adjustable bracket won't solely rely on the tension force off the fasnters in the slots, rather it can take some shear load to a removeable locational pin; all we need is one tiny 8mm pin. Or at least use flanged type nut.

Looking good, what will be the price and avalibility?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

We should have them later this month. I submitted new drawings with seat belt adapters last week to the fabrication shop.

My thought was to take advantage of the adjustability of the bracket to position the seat in the car and then mark a location or two on the base where you can drill a hole for a grade 8 bolt or pin. It was difficult finding grade 8 carriage bolts and when we found them we had to buy 975 so we should be good for a while. The nuts we bought for the sample were flange type nuts.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:06 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Looks good. How close does it get seat to floor for taller guys?

Last edited by KNSBrakes; 07-02-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:49 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Looks good. How close does it get seat to floor for taller guys?
The base sits about ˝” above the carpet to help clear the wiring harnesses below. So the top of the base is about ľ” off the carpet. The next factor will be how the threaded inserts in each seat line up with the side mount holes. Seats can range between sitting on the base and up another ˝” or so.

We plan to make another bracket that is void in the center for our LX1 seat (something like our previous design).

The seat was designed for those needing to add headroom even when sliders are needed. The center drops 2” and can get close or to the carpet. We have a standard and wide version for C6’s. Only the standard version fits in a C5.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:58 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Our new brakets are in and I will try to get pictures posted by the end of the weekend.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:25 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed
Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

In........
Old 07-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice idea, I'd like something a bit lower than what I have now... 6'4" with helmet and I'm touching the roof

Subscribed.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To New Extremely Versatile C5/C6 Seat Mounting Bracket

Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Subscribed as well. Need something for a C5Z and although I am 5'10 I don't mind sitting pretty high in the car anyway so clearance shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Our website has been updated with the new mounting brackets. The description is on the product page but I have included pictures here as well.
http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56MBR

Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Legacy Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have pics of this installed in a C5Z ? And does it lower the seating position ? I'm not that tall and last thing I need is to be sitting lower.

Quick Reply: New Extremely Versatile C5/C6 Seat Mounting Bracket