Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny O Rear Sway Bar Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Fast Eddie I
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Johnny O Rear Sway Bar Adjustment

I recently installed Johnny O' Signature sway bars on my '07 Z06. Pfadt's installation instructions advise that all end adjusting links be adjusted to eliminate any preload.

Doing so, I note that my rear driver's side link as adjusted is approx. 3/16" longer than the passenger side. Since installation, I've street driven approx. 50 miles and note that the rear bar has moved toward the driver's side to its limit of travel. The rear bar has raised rings which limit total travel in both directions to approx. 1/2".

Does anyone have experience with these bars? In comparison, the front bar adjusting links are fairly equal in length.

Thanks for any insight.

FE
Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Each corner of your car has a different weight - when you run endlinks of equal length, you get preload. Being able to adjust them to different lengths allows you to eliminate preload

The rings that youre referring to are sway bar collars. Its normal for the bar to shift from one direction to the other during driving. You can reduce the distance from the collars to the mounts to reduce the movement, but make sure to measure the distances of the collars to the ends of the bars to make sure they are equal.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Z06ness03
Instructor

Are you making your adjustments with the car leveled on a flat surface?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Fast Eddie I
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z06ness03
Are you making your adjustments with the car leveled on a flat surface?
I must assume yes as the adjustments are performed on a 4-post lift. I do not have access to a chassis jig, and doing anything under the car while sitting on the floor is impossible.

Reacting to the above post by el es tu: Thus far, the bar has only moved in one direction (to drivers side). After readjusting to center, the bar again returned to the drivers side limit.

This entire phenomena is interesting as the OEM end links are non-adjustable!

FE
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

If you drive the car and then park it each time, youre likely taking the same turn into the driveway or neighborhood, so the bar is going to keep moving to the same spot.

Try taking a hard left turn, stop on the side of the road without moving the car and look at the bar. Then do the same with a hard right turn. The bar should shift in different directions.

btw it doesnt matter what kind of endlinks youre running; all sway bars try to move around

Get notified of new replies

To Johnny O Rear Sway Bar Adjustment

Quick Reply: Johnny O Rear Sway Bar Adjustment