Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suggestions for an affordable switch panel w/ bat cutoff integrated?

Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default suggestions for an affordable switch panel w/ bat cutoff integrated?

Im looking to spend $150 max. I would like to have a battery master cutoff integrated into the panel but its not 100% necessary. This is just my track car and not a race car. Im just rewiring down to the simplest system I can. Here are my criteria.

7.5" x 3.5" max (possibly 7.5 x 6 if some cutting is done)
Cant be a goofy color. Black/carbon fiber please (guess I could paint it but rather not)
Things I want to control:
Master battery cutoff
Ignition and start button
Cooling fan
Fuel pump
A/c (just one switch for full on or off)
Ecu/knock controller (optional might just put this on ignition switch)
Old 04-27-2014, 12:13 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

You might have to make what you want. I started with a piece of material from my data system manufacturer which flush mounted the display dash. It was a big piece of material with the molded recess in the middle. After trimming what I needed, I used the extra pieces for the switch panels. The graphics don't align (fake carbon fiber) but that's ok with me.

My car doesn't have a HVAC system so that gave me the extra room. Then I got carried away with switches.

One thing to note, the panel with the fire system pull handle has a thick piece of aluminum behind it so it won't break if the pull handle is used.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by MySR71
Then I got carried away with switches.
Looks akin to starting an airplane.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:26 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

that looks pretty cool. Thing that concerned me about using generic toggles was the amperage moving through them. Things that don't use a relay like my Ignition use a 12 gauge wire and I'd be worried the switch might be a choke point or something. Probably over thinking it though.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

In that case, why not use a starter solenoid to bear the load and run the coil's ground through the ignition switch so it doesn't carry a load?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:22 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not going to happen for $150 so it really isn't an issue ...
Old 04-27-2014, 04:41 PM
MySR71
Pro

Looks akin to starting an airplane.
Yup. It makes my user name all the more fitting.

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
that looks pretty cool. Thing that concerned me about using generic toggles was the amperage moving through them. Things that don't use a relay like my Ignition use a 12 gauge wire and I'd be worried the switch might be a choke point or something. Probably over thinking it though.
Thanks. The switches I used are rated for 40 Amps. That's plenty for what I'm doing but I'm not sure what is required for what you are talking about.

Longacre has some generic switch panels for ignition and starter but they likely aren't what you are looking for.

http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1633

Last edited by MySR71; 04-27-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:08 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Actually they have one that looks perfect. Its under $90 and has ignition, start, two acc, and bat disconnect! In carbon fiber too. Thanks for the reply. Think that should solve it for me. Ill just wire my coil power through a relay and my ecu and knock control straight off the switch. Two acc will be cooling fan and a/c. Wish there was one more for the fuel pump, but the bat disconnect should take care of it. Its always nice to be able to unflood if needed though. Ill figure it out.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 PM
MySR71
Pro

Great!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick note on the battery cutoff - Many sanctioning bodies require that it be mounted so that track workers can reach it, so mounting it in the center of the car is generally a no-go.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Quick note on the battery cutoff - Many sanctioning bodies require that it be mounted so that track workers can reach it, so mounting it in the center of the car is generally a no-go.
Yes, SCCA does also. I race a different car (rx7), this is purly a track day car, just has to pass basic tech, not annual or anything. I use it in NASA for HPDE 4 and instructing. The cutoff wouldn't be for an emergency, it would be to keep battery from draining through the winter and extended parking time.

Thanks for the reminder though.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:35 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Yes, SCCA does also. I race a different car (rx7), this is purly a track day car, just has to pass basic tech, not annual or anything. I use it in NASA for HPDE 4 and instructing. The cutoff wouldn't be for an emergency, it would be to keep battery from draining through the winter and extended parking time.

Thanks for the reminder though.
Makes sense

Get notified of new replies

To suggestions for an affordable switch panel w/ bat cutoff integrated?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suggestions for an affordable switch panel w/ bat cutoff integrated?