Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Venting the hood on my 04 Z16-Z06???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:32 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Venting the hood on my 04 Z16-Z06???

I get close to that 150mph mark when road racing and see some lift along with the heat this 416 puts out I'm thinking it might be a worthwhile mod.

The previous owner said the current hood is fg, not cf so not a concern on originality.

I'm debating smaller triangular holes near the side fender with black screen vs some "mamba" vents off a gt500 and putting them in the center of the silver stripes more toward the middle of the hood and about 6-8" back from the windshield. They are about 6" wide and 12" long.

Any input here? I'm a fan of function over form, but think the actual vents painted to match the silver stripe would look much better, just not sure if there would be a significant diff in benefits from the 2 locations?

Last edited by dbs1vette; 04-29-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

At that speed venting the hood makes a big difference and if done properly will yield downforce as opposed to lift. The key is to be able to exhaust as much air as the radiator is flowing (or at least in a perfect world). Most of us who are racing with NASA can take advantage of full aero so when you are running a splitter and wing, venting the hood becomes almost a necessity to properly balance the car at high speed.

You don't make note to whether this is mostly a track car or a street car you occasionally track. I am going to assume the later in which case I would go ahead and do it. You will see some improvement but the real benefit comes when you lean the radiator forward, put an under tray and make the car a true front breather.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

It is the latter. I had a car that was mostly track catch fire and burn last year and that has cooled my jets (and budget) so this car will maybe see 4-5 days of 2 sessions a year.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I feel your pain. I had the exact same thing happen at the Glen last September (clutch let loose and slave cylinder fed the fire). I'm still waiting for my to be done (and still writing the checks).
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a hood; that I have to pick up this week and get home (that'll be fun) so I can vent it as well.

Here's what I'm looking at doing on mine:
http://www.hoodlouvers.com/racinghigh-performance/

Unless I really want to get creative and pull out the welder to fab my own center vents (probably go pre-made, but part of me likes to build stuff).
Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Well for sure post up some pics of the finished product. I'd like to see what you end up doing.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I just bought a hood; that I have to pick up this week and get home (that'll be fun) so I can vent it as well.

Unless I really want to get creative and pull out the welder to fab my own center vents (probably go pre-made, but part of me likes to build stuff).
I was just going to post that link.

Be thoughtful about where to cut. Not too close to the windshield, that is a high pressure area.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is what I did. Start at post #84 for the louver install.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...6-build-5.html

Contact David Farmer Racing if you want to order a set of the louvers I used.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

duplicate post

Last edited by brkntrxn; 04-29-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 PM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Yeah, trying to figure out just how far back from the windshield to start...
Old 04-29-2014, 09:58 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Your mark is just behind the radiator. You want airflow to come through the radiator and out of the engine compartment as quickly and easily as possible. So whatever louvers or opening you decide upon, you need to think about proximity to airflow through the radiator as your starting point. Not the other way around.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma

I had those louvers for a short while. I did not like them for either function or form. It did not vent the pressure under the hood all that well and my radiator did not get the velocity of flow I was looking for even at speed.

What I switched to is this http://www.trackspecmotorsports.com/info.html I don't see the louvers listed on the website and that is probably because they are brand new. I have first six races on them at Thunderhill two weeks ago and Buttonwillow this past weekend. People come over to check them out and comment positively.

Here is a bad picture of the louvers. This photo does not do them justice. They are really bad *** looking, but more importantly they breath way better than the old louvers I had. He did both the main louvers in the front center and the smaller side louvers. I wanted him to keep it under 600 sq inches per the SCCA GT2 and T1 rules, although I also race ST2. John at Trackspec fit them specifically to my racing Corvette application. He is doing another design for Redtopz who many of you know and respect for his racing abilities.

Here are some more CFD pictures you should consider in your design and selection of your louvered air flow system. I used them in the placement of my louvers.

Last edited by Olitho; 04-30-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

If you go to the Trackspec Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Track...5927?ref=br_tf you can see some better pictures including a picture of John crewing on my car at the US Majors race at Buttonwillow on Saturday.

Here are some other pictures.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those trackspec ones look pretty sweet, they must help a lot.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Olitho
If you go to the Trackspec Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Track...5927?ref=br_tf you can see some better pictures including a picture of John crewing on my car at the US Majors race at Buttonwillow on Saturday.

What do those run as far as price? Are they universal or made to contour to the c5 hood?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho

Thanks for the link (before I ordered, haha). I really like that design especially for the main vent.

Like asked before any idea on their pricing on the vents?

Get notified of new replies

To Venting the hood on my 04 Z16-Z06???

Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
At that speed venting the hood makes a big difference and if done properly will yield downforce as opposed to lift. The key is to be able to exhaust as much air as the radiator is flowing. You will see some improvement, but the real benefit comes when you lean the radiator forward, put an under tray, and make the car a true front breather.
The following pictures show my new Black Dog Racing vented CF Kevlar hood for C5s.

With my Tiger Shark front fascia I am a true front breather. Also, I have installed a full undertray that comes back as far as the bottom of the radiator. With these additions, I am hoping to feel more down force at speed and better cooling.

Last edited by Pumba; 05-01-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba
The following pictures shows my new Black Dog Racing vented CF Kevlar hood for C5s.

With my Tiger Shark front fascia I am a true front breather. Also, I have installed a full undertray that comes back as far as the bottom of the radiator. With these additions, I am hoping to feel more down force at speed and better cooling.

That would look nice on my c6z
Old 05-13-2014, 12:39 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Pumba
The following pictures show my new Black Dog Racing vented CF Kevlar hood for C5s.

I'd hate to see that price tag

Quick Reply: Venting the hood on my 04 Z16-Z06???