Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race car BOS vs. receipt??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Race car BOS vs. receipt??

When purchasing a non street legal race car what is required to change ownership? A Bill of sale? Or a receipt? What is the difference?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 04-29-2014, 02:17 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

None so long as it doesn't come up in the future , but a notarized bill of sale is never a bad idea.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:18 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Check local MVD/DVM regulations.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked this same question a while back, 18 months or so. The consensus was a bill of sale is sufficient. If a title is issued, some states will send you a personal property tax bill.

I like the idea of the notarized BOS.

Jim
Old 04-29-2014, 09:53 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If the car has a title, have the title endorsed to you just like you were buying a used car. Whether you get a new title or not us up to you, but you have the appropriate document showing ownership. As note above, your state may want taxes annually if you get a new title.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotta check state/local regs. In PA a purpose built race car may not have ever had a title issued and a BOS is sufficient. If it was street legal and titled initially I would want the title to the car signed over as well as a bill of sale documenting the agreement to transfer ownership. Yes would pay tax but I'd rather that than having my ownership questioned later.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

If it was always a race car get a bill of sale and the log book from the organization it raced with. Good idea to do some research on the car and the chain of ownership.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco022
If it was always a race car get a bill of sale and the log book from the organization it raced with. Good idea to do some research on the car and the chain of ownership.
Ha, actually that's probably not a good idea...

Every time I did this research I found out the car had been wrecked

I got the title with mine, but that's obviously assuming at one point yours had been a street car.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bosco022
It was never a street car. My car is a 2010 Radical SR3. I did research the car and there were three owners before me. My car started life as a Factory Works race car. It then went to a Southern California race team. When that team went under all of the team equipment (three cars, transporter, etc) was purchased by Spring Mountain. I purchased the car from SM. They gave me a receipt when I purchased the car and they told me that they were going to send me the Bill of Sale, but they haven't.... Even after being reminded several times over the past 5 months. I have confidence in SM, they have been fantastic to work with. The reason I am asking about this is because I am trying to figure out if perusing the BOS is necessary, or if the receipt is adequate.

Thanks for the help,
Charley

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Receipt is not a good document to show ownership.

You need a BOS and as others said the log book if it is a sanctioned car. There is a provision in the book for the sale as well (SCCA cars anyway).

Write up a BOS and mail it to them for signature. Notary is not necessary.

Get notified of new replies

To Race car BOS vs. receipt??

Quick Reply: Race car BOS vs. receipt??