Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension lean

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:54 PM
hougland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension lean

I just started Auto X and realize that I am getting way to much lean on the corners. I run a 2000 vert with adjustable suspension which I run on the hardest setting. Was looking at the pictures of her in the turns and was surprised at how much lean there was.
This is a daily driver and I don't intend to make a race car out of her. But I would like to do better at the Auto X track.
Would I see a big improvement by switching to a different set of sway bars? What are your thoughts?

I would like to stay in the Stock class.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

When I first drove my 99 FRC on track I thought the same thing. The FRC came with the Z51 sways which are likely a bit stiffer than yours..so I can relate. One of my first changes was to install Hotchkiss sways with the adjustable rear bar. It made quite a big difference.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hougland
I just started Auto X and realize that I am getting way to much lean on the corners. I run a 2000 vert with adjustable suspension which I run on the hardest setting. Was looking at the pictures of her in the turns and was surprised at how much lean there was.
This is a daily driver and I don't intend to make a race car out of her. But I would like to do better at the Auto X track.
Would I see a big improvement by switching to a different set of sway bars? What are your thoughts?

I would like to stay in the Stock class.
I'd swap to C5 Z06 or C6 Z51 swaybars, here's a comparison pic of a base model 99 front swaybar vs the C5 Z06 bar that I replaced it with, the rear bars were just as drastically different in size. You probably have plastic endlinks on your car, changing bars is a good time to swap these out for newer metal endlinks that won't flex and break.

You should also look into new shocks instead of the F45 system, which is junk IMO. Bilstein Sports are a solid option, they'll give you good performance but are still fine on the street. I'm not sure if that would bump you out of stock class, but it shouldn't. Anywho, the F45 shocks are pretty much worthless in terms of performance, and they're heavy, I swapped out a set this weekend for Pfadt JOC shocks and I think the F45's were twice the weight.

Get notified of new replies

To suspension lean

Quick Reply: suspension lean