Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice - are these tires too narrow for my wheels?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Need advice - are these tires too narrow for my wheels?

I have a set of 18x11, 18x12 CCW Classics. By 18x11 and 18x12, those are the widths measured from the inside of the bead, the way that CCW measures wheels (and all wheel manufacturers).

I was on the hunt for some R compounds so based on a recommendation from Todd at GT Racing tires, I purchased some 305/ 325 Conti's. I mounted them on the wheels and there is A LOT of wheel lip showing. If these were my street wheels, they would be unacceptable since they are flat out ugly. But are these ok to track on?

It actually looks like the 325's would fit better on the 18x11's ? At this point I'm out for the tires, shipping, and mounting, so if they are safe I'd like to run them until the tires are toast, then consider other tire options. Possibly getting some narrower inner shells for the back and running a 325 squared setup since GT Racing says they can't get anything wider than 325s.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 PM
0SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Vendor

Location: Reno/McCarran, NV - Bay Area, CA - NW Burbs of Chicago, IL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just appear that way since those tires don't have the lip protectors that street tires have. Running a 305 on an 11" wheel is actually right in the middle of of its approved rim width range and its roughly the same for a 325 on a 12" wheel. Aesthetics aside, moving to wider tires on the same wheels probably wouldn't yield any measurable difference in lap time, it would numb the steering feel slightly in exchange for a little extra heat tolerance. It would be worth it if you're overheating your tires now, but it will work against you if you are just barely getting your tires to peak operating temps.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Freaks LLC
They just appear that way since those tires don't have the lip protectors that street tires have. Running a 305 on an 11" wheel is actually right in the middle of of its approved rim width range and its roughly the same for a 325 on a 12" wheel. Aesthetics aside, moving to wider tires on the same wheels probably wouldn't yield any measurable difference in lap time, it would numb the steering feel slightly in exchange for a little extra heat tolerance. It would be worth it if you're overheating your tires now, but it will work against you if you are just barely getting your tires to peak operating temps.
Thanks you for the post.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:20 PM
0SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Vendor

Location: Reno/McCarran, NV - Bay Area, CA - NW Burbs of Chicago, IL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Thanks you for the post.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice - are these tires too narrow for my wheels?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice - are these tires too narrow for my wheels?