Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Bilstein GB v6.0 (C5, C6 and C6z) Track, Auto-x and dual purpose cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default DRM Bilstein GB v6.0 (C5, C6 and C6z) Track, Auto-x and dual purpose cars

Ladies and gentleman we are at it again with a few differences then v1.0-v5.0

1st, The order has been placed (ETA July, 2014)
2nd, lower down payment (Help ease the tension because of other vendors not making it happen)
3rd, updates emailed to the people on the list. (So you don't have to check the thread all the time, unless you want to)

Here is the history of the product.
DRM took a set of standard Bilstein sport shocks and installed them into a C6Z. We found them to be a improvement but felt the car needed something better. Using our years of racing and street driving experience on Bilstein shocks and started working on the valving. Our goal was to have a shock that

1.Increased feel for the driver
2.Rid all unsettling feelings in the car over bumps
3.Offer a better ride
4.Increase mechanical grip
5.Keep the back end of the car planted!

After finding the right setup we had to start building them. The normal Sport shock was being built in Ohio, sent to NC, then shipped to CA. Then took apart, yes taking apart a brand new shock and re-valving them to our specs. This was not a easy, cheap way of marketing a product.
The price was 695.00 for a set, not including shipping

We also offer a Bushing up-grade, that has raised questions. The bushings are made out of a harder poly material to allow less bushing deflection and longer bushing life. There isn't much of any drawbacks to running the bushings. Besides some added feel of the road and allowing the shocks to work better. The cost on the bushings is 25 dollars.

So here is the deal on the group buy v6.0.

50 dollars down and 375 dollars at the time of delivery. Total $425.00 Shipped to the lower 48 states.

MUST SIGN UP BY June 15th at midnight. After that the price will increase due to us warehousing and not being able to recover cost quickly.

http://dougrippie.com/products/c6-co...hocks-for-c6z/

You can also call in your order to our sales office. International shipping is not a problem (extra fees will apply)

Thanks
Randy Rippie
336-350-8256 phone
Old 05-02-2014, 10:19 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I can say for the money these shocks are GREAT. I upgraded from Johnny O'Connells and noticed a big difference in both the handling and the ride quality on my '04 Z. I would recommend these to anyone.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow great deal from a great vendor!
Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

So question. Can you have the revolving worked on a set of already owned shocks? I picked up a set between DRM group buys that were not revalved but were Bilstein's for a lowered corvette.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sabastian458
So question. Can you have the revolving worked on a set of already owned shocks? I picked up a set between DRM group buys that were not revalved but were Bilstein's for a lowered corvette.
Yes I can arrange that. But Bilstein charges 90 dollars a shock to re-valve plus shipping both ways. At that point, you should just keep them on the car, enjoy them until July. Pick up a set of these in July and sell those

Let me know either way

Randy
Old 05-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there some more technical information/data on these? I'd be interested in reading up.

Is there low and high speed valving that was played with or was the low-speed damping alone changed with the "blow-off" left unchanged?
Are they pressurized to the same spec as off-the-shelf sport shocks?
Were the rebound and compression damping levels raised at the traditional 3:1 ratio?

This is probably a dumb question, but these are monotubes, right? I know Bilstein did kind of invent them and I believe their sport shocks are monotubes... I just wanted to verify.

Are they optimized for stock spring rates and for a specific model? I'm running 1100 lb/in front and 800 rear leaf springs on a C5 and I'm wondering how viable this solution is for myself. And if this isn't 100% there, I'd also be interested in purchasing anyway to run as is and send back to re-valve later if DRM performed that type of service specific per application.

Looks like a great deal. I'd just like to learn as much as I'm allowed to know I don't know very much about damping, but I'm a young, dumb engineer who's eager to learn and acquire information. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Stevespeed
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could have these yesterday! I am 90% sure going to buy them, Just a few of us autocrosses up here in the midwest would LOVE to get these before the Toledo Pro Solo June 28-29
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

probably a dumb question but , these WILL work on a c6 Z51 lowered correct ?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:55 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for us who are close enough to drive to Burlington could we pick them up and save shipping?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:30 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
Is there some more technical information/data on these? I'd be interested in reading up.

Is there low and high speed valving that was played with or was the low-speed damping alone changed with the "blow-off" left unchanged?
Are they pressurized to the same spec as off-the-shelf sport shocks?
Were the rebound and compression damping levels raised at the traditional 3:1 ratio?

This is probably a dumb question, but these are monotubes, right? I know Bilstein did kind of invent them and I believe their sport shocks are monotubes... I just wanted to verify.

Are they optimized for stock spring rates and for a specific model? I'm running 1100 lb/in front and 800 rear leaf springs on a C5 and I'm wondering how viable this solution is for myself. And if this isn't 100% there, I'd also be interested in purchasing anyway to run as is and send back to re-valve later if DRM performed that type of service specific per application.

Looks like a great deal. I'd just like to learn as much as I'm allowed to know I don't know very much about damping, but I'm a young, dumb engineer who's eager to learn and acquire information. Any help is appreciated.
I don't think these would be a good fit for you. Those spring rates are higher then we have ever tested them for. But, my folder is full of different combinations that we have done. We don't re-valve shocks in house all of that happens in California.

Randy
Old 05-03-2014, 10:31 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 08velocity
probably a dumb question but , these WILL work on a c6 Z51 lowered correct ?
Yes sir they will work well for you!!! The only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

Randy
Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
for us who are close enough to drive to Burlington could we pick them up and save shipping?
Yes sir! I have even a better plan. Every Saturday (plus during the week) I walk to the top of Occoneechee mountain in Hillsborough. We can meet off the highway, at the state park, or at the BBQ place in town Save you the full trip!

PM me your name and number, so I can give you a call when they are in We can make a plan then!!!

Randy
Old 05-03-2014, 11:20 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Yes sir! I have even a better plan. Every Saturday (plus during the week) I walk to the top of Occoneechee mountain in Hillsborough. We can meet off the highway, at the state park, or at the BBQ place in town Save you the full trip!

PM me your name and number, so I can give you a call when they are in We can make a plan then!!!

Randy
I am actually east of you I believe... Wake Forest / Raleigh area but we can work something out Will PM you some additional questions
Old 05-03-2014, 11:28 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Yep you are east of us.

(West) Me (30 minutes) Hillsborough (30 minutes) You (east)

Randy
Old 05-04-2014, 12:07 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Yep you are east of us.

(West) Me (30 minutes) Hillsborough (30 minutes) You (east)

Randy
yup ... I ran one of those warrior dash things this morning must have had some mud still stuck in my head ... I got it :-)
Old 05-04-2014, 12:20 PM
CGGS
Pro

Randy,

Do you have special valving for the C5 Z06, or is it specifically more designed for the C6 Z.

I am looking at non-coilover options for an 03' Z06 that I am buying. Right now the top three choices I am thinking about are...

1. 04' C5 Z06 shocks
2. QA1 C Single adjustable
3. Penske single adjustable (obvious this is the more expensive option)

I am looking for a planted, stable feel at triple digit speeds on a relativity stock C5 Z06 except I would be running CCW wheels with 275/35/18 and 305/30/19 RE-11 tires.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Ramo7769
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think these would be a good fit for you. Those spring rates are higher then we have ever tested them for. But, my folder is full of different combinations that we have done. We don't re-valve shocks in house all of that happens in California.

Randy
I appreciate the honesty. I'm assuming my rear spring isn't too far off, but the front is what is crazy. Who revalves for DRM? I know Guldstrand does it out in California. I'm thinking about giving them my spring rates and having them revalved for my application.

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Bilstein GB v6.0 (C5, C6 and C6z) Track, Auto-x and dual purpose cars

Old 05-04-2014, 04:01 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ramo7769
I appreciate the honesty. I'm assuming my rear spring isn't too far off, but the front is what is crazy. Who revalves for DRM? I know Guldstrand does it out in California. I'm thinking about giving them my spring rates and having them revalved for my application.
Bistein West does the re-valving. The GB is when we have a special custom run of shocks for us and that happens at their plant in Ohio.

Randy
Old 05-04-2014, 04:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CGGS
Randy,

Do you have special valving for the C5 Z06, or is it specifically more designed for the C6 Z.

I am looking at non-coilover options for an 03' Z06 that I am buying. Right now the top three choices I am thinking about are...

1. 04' C5 Z06 shocks
2. QA1 C Single adjustable
3. Penske single adjustable (obvious this is the more expensive option)

I am looking for a planted, stable feel at triple digit speeds on a relativity stock C5 Z06 except I would be running CCW wheels with 275/35/18 and 305/30/19 RE-11 tires.
We did a ton of testing on these shocks with a C6Z. But then started to look at them for C5 guys as well. They work great for the C5 crowd also. Look at how many people run C6Z shocks on their cars.

Randy
Old 05-04-2014, 06:16 PM
CGGS
Pro

We did a ton of testing on these shocks with a C6Z. But then started to look at them for C5 guys as well. They work great for the C5 crowd also. Look at how many people run C6Z shocks on their cars.

Randy
Randy,

Yeah, I had a set on my old C6 Z06 and they were great, I just didn't know if they would have the same impact on the C5 Z06 since it weighs less and has a different shock height and I am sure has slight different characteristics as far as where the best valving would be.

Quick Reply: DRM Bilstein GB v6.0 (C5, C6 and C6z) Track, Auto-x and dual purpose cars