Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Hook for a WC Front Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:27 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tow Hook for a WC Front Bumper?

I need a front tow hook for a C6Z with the Black Dog Speed Shop fiberglass front fascia. This bumper extends several inches beyond the factory part so standard tow hooks do not work. The overall length of this hook needs to be about 17-inches so it has to be stout or it'll destroy the grill or bumper if towed even slightly off-line.

Black Dog cars use a tubular framework between the frame and the fascia so they don't have this problem. Phoenix only has hooks for standard configurations.

Suggestions?

Jim
Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same problem. I fabricated a custome piece but found that the extra length tends to act as a lever and when you need to use it, deforms. My fix was a simple one- I went to a nylon tow strap. You just need to get a really large fender washer to "sandwich" the strap against the bumper (the steel factory bumper....not the fascia!)
Old 05-04-2014, 12:49 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
I had the same problem. I fabricated a custome piece but found that the extra length tends to act as a lever and when you need to use it, deforms. My fix was a simple one- I went to a nylon tow strap. You just need to get a really large fender washer to "sandwich" the strap against the bumper (the steel factory bumper....not the fascia!)
Excellent suggestion/solution. I'm going to install my existing Pfadt prototype tow hook and I'll attach the tow strap to that. I'll have to step the Pfadt tow hook down another inch to provide clearance to the fascia and make a bigger space in the screening for left or right pulls and that will work.
Thanks!
Jim

Last edited by jlutherva; 05-04-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 AM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have one. PM me.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Tow strap is probably the best option. I fabled a plate to my fabricated race car bumper, so was simple...but if you don't have that structure...

Get notified of new replies

To Tow Hook for a WC Front Bumper?

Quick Reply: Tow Hook for a WC Front Bumper?