Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTA rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:12 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Default GTA rebuild

Rather than digging up the last thread (that was a huge success) I'm starting a new one...

The GTA car looked like this a month ago after... we'll call it a "run-in" with a Porsche at Summit Point.

Did a lot of the initial teardown and suspension work in the trailer because... well... we couldn't get it out without a lot of drama.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:12 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Between trips for my actual PAYING job, I have managed some time to make progress. It actually moved under it's own power for the 1st time today which was a big step. Brake and clutch M/Cs are installed. The clutch was a PITmfA to bleed. I actually drilled a hole through the tunnel to get a 1/4" drive socket into the bellhousing and did it by braille. Eventually got it done.

Suspension went back on. All is there and close to the right place (alignment by eyeball). The first attempt at hanging body panels turned out pretty decent if I don't say so myself. It's not perfect, but for a 1st effort, I'll take it. The light in the pics on the white makes the gaps look big but they are actually pretty flush. WAAAAY better than it was before the hit. Got the right rear quarter pulled back out and all of the crush/closeout panels fixed. When I went into the tire wall, apparently it broke the exhaust apart pretty bad. Pic below is my old man welding on it to get it back together, somewhat close to where it once was. Not bad for an old guy in a wheelchair!

The hit in the left quarter was hard enough to bend the rear deck. Apparently it was hard enough that my helmet (and massive dome) actually bent the containment on the left side of the seat!

Sway bar mount... used to be straight.

Shock before rebuild

To be continued...
Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

If nothing else, the silver lining is a really cool pic of your old man. As a guy with a dad also in a wheelchair, I find that picture really cool. Good luck with the rebuild!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
If nothing else, the silver lining is a really cool pic of your old man. As a guy with a dad also in a wheelchair, I find that picture really cool.
I was thinking how it looked like abuse.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
If nothing else, the silver lining is a really cool pic of your old man. As a guy with a dad also in a wheelchair, I find that picture really cool. Good luck with the rebuild!
Yea, he loves working on the race cars. He does more sitting down than most people can walking.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the rebuild!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:10 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
The clutch was a PITmfA to bleed. I actually drilled a hole through the tunnel to get a 1/4" drive socket into the bellhousing and did it by braille. Eventually got it done.
You need to get a remote bleeder kit from Speedway, Lefthander, etc. Should only be like $20 but it really simplifies this process, you can locate the bleeder up by your MC's and bleed it out without even jacking up the car
Old 05-06-2014, 03:28 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow...that sucks.

Looks like it's 1000% easier to fix than a C4...that kind of damage would have been a real PITA on the Corvette.

Good luck with the fix...
Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by LateBreak
You need to get a remote bleeder kit from Speedway, Lefthander, etc. Should only be like $20 but it really simplifies this process, you can locate the bleeder up by your MC's and bleed it out without even jacking up the car
I'm going to do that the next time I have the transmission out of it. I actually have 1 sitting in my "shopping cart" from Quarter Master. Problem is, I have to pull the transmission to get in there to put the remote bleeder in so this time was a PITA no matter what.

If I do have to bleed it again for whatever reason before I pull the trans, I actually lined it up pretty well. I can get a socket all the way to it from inside and do it as a 1 man operation, even without hooking up the power bleeder.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Wow...that sucks.

Looks like it's 1000% easier to fix than a C4...that kind of damage would have been a real PITA on the Corvette.

Good luck with the fix...
My experience with fixing C4s and C5s would lead me to believe that either would have been complete junk after the same hit.

Just in body alone, the Vette would cost ... well... a lot. Every panel with the exception of the deck lid on the car took a hit of some sort. Panels that were fixed on this car with a hammer and some new bracing would have been trash on a Vette.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 05-06-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GTA rebuild

Quick Reply: GTA rebuild