Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone offer partial track days?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does anyone offer partial track days?

I don't need an hour or more of track time for $200+ at the moment. I'd just like the opportunity to do 1 or 2 10-minute sessions somewhere as shakedown runs before going to time trial competitions - want to make sure everything is working after making a lot of changes before I go to a 3-day event.

Does any group offer something like this? I've looked around to every group I've ever heard of and nobody seems to do anything but full days.

I'd love to just go out to a track and run the first 10 minutes of a 25-30 minute session, pull in and look everything over, then go back out and do the last 10 minutes - and go back home.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:09 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not know any HPDE organizer that might allow that, however, check and see who is running at a track near you and send them an email requesting what you want, AND, offer to pay for the time you spend on the track. Assume you are an advance driver, and will have soloed at the track you are requesting time on.
Good luck
vz
Old 05-04-2014, 02:39 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Check your local tracks for test days. I know Mid-Ohio and Gingerman both have them.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I made my own half-day at Homestead. I hit 270 on the warm up laps. I paid full price though.

Richard Newton
Old 05-04-2014, 06:40 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by rfn026
I made my own half-day at Homestead. I hit 270 on the warm up laps. I paid full price though.

Richard Newton

270 mph - You should have been charge twice that amount.
vz
Old 05-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Some NASA regions are offering Hyperdrive sessions for a reduced rate. These are aimed at beginners but they may let you sign up for a test session under that scheme.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1813
Old 05-04-2014, 06:44 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Yeah, looks like a partial day is not an option anywhere unless someone decides to make an unofficial exception.

Any leads on a club that might be friendly to that before I start emailing every single one?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I don't need an hour or more of track time for $200+ at the moment. I'd just like the opportunity to do 1 or 2 10-minute sessions somewhere as shakedown runs before going to time trial competitions - want to make sure everything is working after making a lot of changes before I go to a 3-day event.

Does any group offer something like this? I've looked around to every group I've ever heard of and nobody seems to do anything but full days.

I'd love to just go out to a track and run the first 10 minutes of a 25-30 minute session, pull in and look everything over, then go back out and do the last 10 minutes - and go back home.
Give Joe Quaranto a call at Phoenix CMR. He runs Trial Programs with his HPDEs. You get one novice school and one 20 minute track session. Also some people only sign up for one day out of the two days he has the Glen. He has one trial program position left for the school at the end of June.

http://phoenixcmr.com/driving-events/juneevent.html

His phone number is 585-638-6653 and you should give him a call to see what you can do. He is usually pretty reasonable working with students and their schedules. Tell him I recommended Phoenix. I instructed for him for 9 seasons before moving to NC.

The NASA Hyperdrives aren't worth much. It is more like taking a ride behind the pace car at the Glen's Thunder Road tours. Thrilling for some people boring for most.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-04-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:14 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Thanks Bill. I'll do that. WGI would be perfect since that's the closest track to home and I know it fairly well.

You're right about the Hyperdrives, they're not going to tell you anything about the car unless something is radically wrong.

The background is that I've changed practically everything on my car over the spring and want to make sure there are no surprises when I go to start running 3-day NASA time trial competition. It should run 2:05ish at WGI.

It being still a street car, though, makes it illegal for test days with a lot of other groups. No cage or other racecar safety gear.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Thanks Bill. I'll do that. WGI would be perfect since that's the closest track to home and I know it fairly well.

You're right about the Hyperdrives, they're not going to tell you anything about the car unless something is radically wrong.

The background is that I've changed practically everything on my car over the spring and want to make sure there are no surprises when I go to start running 3-day NASA time trial competition. It should run 2:05ish at WGI.

It being still a street car, though, makes it illegal for test days with a lot of other groups. No cage or other racecar safety gear.
Another thing you might try is signing up with Trackmasters. They have one day open track sessions. However, you have to be signed off by a Senior Instructor and if you don't make it they put you into the novice school. Not sure when their next novice school is scheduled. Even LG had to get signed off when he brought his GT2 car to the Trackmasters event for some testing.

Bill
Old 05-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Assuming you don't want to Drive to northern Illinois; but Midwestern Council is offering a half day of their HPDE on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the calendar for Summit Point. They have open track days on various Fridays throughout the summer, about one per month.

Jim
Old 05-07-2014, 02:15 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

www.tracktime4cars.com

You can buy a half day.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone offer partial track days?

Quick Reply: Does anyone offer partial track days?