Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Protection for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 AM
blackbeast99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Windshield Protection for HPDE

Is anyone applying anything for protection of their windshield externally when running HPDE's? I've been looking around for different products, but was wondering if anyone here has any good information.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:13 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Just saw an add in Grassroots Motorsports for a product called ClearPlex.

http://www.clearplex.com/

Never tried it but may be just what you are looking for?

They do not list film for a Vette., but may be worth checking into depending on cost. The websight shows a small Porsche windshield costing more than a huge Suburban? $120 vs $286 ??

Last edited by blkbrd69; 05-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:52 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I've seen painters tape on bumpers, headlights, and rocker panels. However, haven't heard of anyone putting protection on windshield, nor anyone having windshield issues.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 PM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used a windshield film for some seven years or more.

I'm pretty sure one year I used Cole Motorsports system, then"ThenTear-off Guys a few years, but the past many years I've been using Pro-Tint.

I get the two layer system and a banner made up to cover the gaps on top because they never fit perfecton the top and you will have to trim the sides and bottom too. It is a bit of an art to install them. Watch all the videos you can.

They will keep your window like new however. I have the Corvette two layer system in the garage ready to go on now.

http://shop.protint.com/category.sc?categoryId=110
Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure the protection system is worth it - I got a new windshield installed on my c6 for $400.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Nick
I'm not sure the protection system is worth it - I got a new windshield installed on my c6 for $400.
Same here, JN Philips is putting a new windshield in my C5Z on Friday for $221. It's cheaper than most tear off systems that won't protect from an impact anyway is it's more than just a chip.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:07 PM
blackbeast99
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. The windshield on the C6Z is more expensive...I wish it was cheaper, but it's a price I accept. I'm now on my 3rd - and I only track 3-4 times a year :-(. I like the thought of having some "extra" protection when possible.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:13 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Street car with insurance?

Every policy I've ever had was a zero deductible windshield replace if it got broken or chipped beyond repair.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lefrog
Same here, JN Philips is putting a new windshield in my C5Z on Friday for $221. It's cheaper than most tear off systems that won't protect from an impact anyway is it's more than just a chip.
I was under the impression that the C5Z used a special windshield that was lighter and specific for HUD, which was supposed to be more expensive than the standard glass for C5. Is that what you're getting for $221. Just wonder 'cause my windshield is getting chipped from track.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Chances are the windshield places are slapping non-Z06 windshields in. Non-Z06 windshields also came with the HUD option. I'm pretty sure the wife's Grand Prix doesn't have a HUD windshield, because it's more difficult to see that HUD than the one on my Vette in broad daylight.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Chances are the windshield places are slapping non-Z06 windshields in. Non-Z06 windshields also came with the HUD option. I'm pretty sure the wife's Grand Prix doesn't have a HUD windshield, because it's more difficult to see that HUD than the one on my Vette in broad daylight.
There are aftermarket companies selling non-oem glass at a huge (hundreds) savings. The glass installers say it is the same as oem and you can't tell other than the label doesn't have oem on it. I don't mean to say I believe that, but it is cheaper!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:56 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lefrog
My guess is that is not a Z06 windshield but just a regular Corvette for that price. The Z06 windshield was lighter than the regular.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
My guess is that is not a Z06 windshield but just a regular Corvette for that price. The Z06 windshield was lighter than the regular.
This is non-OEM glass (that's why it is much cheaper), it has a built-in antenna too and fits well. This one is not treated for the HUD (I had to remove it for the rollcage anyway). I didn't weigh it before the install so I can't tell you the difference with OEM glass.
The Z06 windshield is supposed to be 5.7lbs lighter which I really don't care about. I don't have windows in the doors anymore so that makes up for it!
For a track car, this is the cheapest replacement you can find (even the thin polycarbonate runs at $350+).
Here is a pic of the windshield being installed:
Old 05-19-2014, 04:48 PM
blackbeast99
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Street car with insurance?

Every policy I've ever had was a zero deductible windshield replace if it got broken or chipped beyond repair.
Yes, but I don't have a $0 deductible for it. I can probably change around my coverage for that, but I'm not crazy about having to do it frequently IF I can help it in either case.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Protection for HPDE

Quick Reply: Windshield Protection for HPDE